By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Me from 2005: Future of Next-Generation of Gaming

johnlucas said:

I called it "Future of Next-Generation of Gaming" and I took what was known from outgoing 6th generation, knowledge of what was known from 7th generation and made predictions on where the contest was going.

Tell me what you all think and do you still think my words hold up?

Some of it is accurate. But I'd disagree with statements like "Unlike the other companies Nintendo is the only true one who can put out its OWN in-house games & make not only hits but classics with." Sony has a huge studio network and some wonderful classic franchises, and Microsoft is slowly growing its studios, too (though I wish they'd do more).

Also, Sony hasn't self-destructed in any way, shape or form. They had a very difficult job - keeping the PS2 going for one more holiday season while keeping early adopters happy, and they mostly succeeded. They're making most of the right long-term moves, by extending their studio system, moving into MMOs and online content, and their sales have precisely matched the 360's first year, despite being considerably more expensive. They just need to lower the price next year, and they'll do just fine.

Personally, I think all the consoles are going to thrive, I can't see a single overwhelmingly dominant console this generation. Gaming is just too huge for any single company to run the show. Which is a terrific thing for us gamers - more competition, more choice!

Around the Network

Great work John - can't wait to see what you come up with next. How do you think WiiFit will go? Can EA make something work on the Wii?

Looking forward to our phone call... hope it comes soon! ;)

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

shams said:
Great work John - can't wait to see what you come up with next. How do you think WiiFit will go? Can EA make something work on the Wii?

Looking forward to our phone call... hope it comes soon! ;)

But have we already heard what he came up with next?  "240m minimum!" is quite a prediction.  I think you have to give him credit here for calling it that early in the game and being pretty much dead on over a year before launch.  I don't think any analysts went on the record about anything that early =P

But that doesn't automatically mean he will be right about "240m".  Now once he gets a couple of these long shot predictions right in a row...then we can start calling him the next Nostradamus. Until then he just made a damn fine prediction.  Lets hope he continues that trend

To Each Man, Responsibility