By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - GTA 4 'had to be made by Brits', says UK gaming legend

Hell as irrelevant as it is, I think it was Fox who got the permissions to remake Spaced but the Pilot flopped to holy hell.

Good thing, it couldn't possibly be better than Simon Pegg and Edgar Wright's Spaced, let alone even possibly good!

American studios do make great shows and great comedies (I have my soft spots for Scrubs and My Name Is Earl) but there is a huge difference between the two nations for definite.

Around the Network
Played_Out said:
naznatips said:
Er... GTAIV did take itself seriously. That's one of the main reasons it wasn't as good as the previous GTAs. They spent so much time taking things seriously they forgot what made GTA great: Diversity of gameplay and TONS of activities to do.

The Republican Space Rangers tell a different story.

Hehe, double post I know but:

"WE COME IN PEACE!"

"What the hell is this commy bastard saying? I don't understand a word of it, SHOOT HIM!"

Played_Out said:

If GTAIV would have been better if Americans made it, why is it that Saint's Row is so shit?

Seriously, I'm not suggesting that Americans couldn't make a game as good as GTA4, just that they haven't. Ever.

In fairness, there is an element of truth to what the guy is saying; American satire does tend to be a bit weak-kneed compared to British, and your comedy is often dumbed down to appeal to the lowest common denominator (compare versions of The Office). That doesn't change the fact that the cleverest and funniest TV show of all time is The Simpsons. I'm pretty sure there is no American equivalent to Chris Morris, though, so it's all just swings and roundabouts. 

Saint's Row is a different type of game (although still sandbox) and certainly did not have the budget that GTAIV had.  Honestly, GTA IV is GTA III but bigger with minior improvements in gameplay here/there so I do not know why anybody couldn't improve on the foundation.  The problem with these arguments are that they are all preference based.  Believe it or not, some people may not feel that the Simpsons is the greatest show ever.

I seriously thought this was a racist thread before I came in. lol :p

Damn things have changed since 2009 began. Here are my new visions for the end of the generation.

Wii: 135 mil

Ps3: 85 mil

360: 60 mil

True Genius

Only the English would find robbery, indiscriminate murder and wacky europeans fighting new yorkers amusing enough to produce a complex, quality filled title. Keep the variety going and encourage as much wii ware development as possible.

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

Around the Network

If a game doesn't make its money back does anyone really care?. Seriously what i want is variety and difference. Keep it cheap and innovative. Hollywood made the other mistake and its ruined original contents.

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

what a, interesting read

cleveland124 said:
Played_Out said:

blah.... blah..

Saint's Row is a different type of game (although still sandbox) and certainly did not have the budget that GTAIV had. Honestly, GTA IV is GTA III but bigger with minior improvements in gameplay here/there so I do not know why anybody couldn't improve on the foundation. The problem with these arguments are that they are all preference based. Believe it or not, some people may not feel that the Simpsons is the greatest show ever.

I don't know how you can say Saint's Row is a different type of game; almost every single idea in the game was lifted wholesale from San Andreas. The problem is that it lacked the style, wit and intelligence of the GTA series. None of these things should be affected by budgetary constraints, although I accept that it is a legitimate reason for other games not being able to compete easily. In fairness, SR isn't that shit; it''s just shit in comparison to GTA.

You're right that the foundation of GTA4 can be improved upon. I expect the next two games built on the engine to show as big a leap over GTA4 as VC and SA did over GTA3. GTA4 is just an hors d'oeuvre. Damn tasty one, though.

I know there are some people that don't think The Simpsons is the greatest show ever, but they have a word for people like that. Actually, they have many, many words, but most of them can't be used in polite society!

megaman79 said:
Only the English would find robbery, indiscriminate murder and wacky europeans fighting new yorkers amusing enough to produce a complex, quality filled title. Keep the variety going and encourage as much wii ware development as possible.

Don't forget the cop violence, prostitution, and other gang related hate crimes in the game.  Essentially, I see the argument as this.  EA is the biggest third party.  They picked America because EA resides in America.  So this is essentially a knock to say that EA can't produce quality titles.  But what it comes off as, we rule, we are the best developer in the world.  No one equals us.  If you don't like or get GTA IV, you=idiot.

Played_Out said:

I don't know how you can say Saint's Row is a different type of game; almost every single idea in the game was lifted wholesale from San Andreas. The problem is that it lacked the style, wit and intelligence of the GTA series. None of these things should be affected by budgetary constraints, although I accept that it is a legitimate reason for other games not being able to compete easily. In fairness, SR isn't that shit; it''s just shit in comparison to GTA.

Dissagree.  Budgets are time constraints as well as money.  What if I gave you an hour to write a 5 page story, make it funny and interesting.  It doesn't cost any money so it should be great right?  What if I gave you 3 weeks to do it?  Would it be better?  You have the same monetary budget so style, wit, and intelligence shouldn't change right?  Saint's Row had much fewer people and was made in much less time.  In the end, the only way to complete the game was to throw together a story and steal most of the ideas from GTA.