By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Prediction: the next-gen of consoles would be ridiculously staggered!

Pristine20 said:

My reasoning:

1) The x360 will see its successor by 2011 due to hardware problems, DVD limitations and M$ insistence being the first on the scene and this time around M$ would have made money to cover R&D costs.

2) The wii will get an upgrade to HD since SDtvs would eventually become obsolete and 512 mb of memory is just pitiful for current standards.

3) The ps3 would last 2 generations while its developments costs ultimately fall and it becomes like the ps2 gen again where Sony was around first with the worst hardware power. PS3 is the most future-proof with a SATA HDD, blu-ray, gigabit ethernet, etc. Also, ps3 would not make enough money for ps4  R&D costs till the nex-gen of consoles. The ps4 would eventually release slightly before the gen after the next gen as the first on the scene.

There would be no major technology overhaul used on any console again and no company would take a loss on consoles.

What do you guys think of my predictions?

1) I pretty much agree with your time line and your reasons aren't the main factors I see but they will be factors.  So in part, I agree with this one.

2) SDTVs becoming obsolete doesn't obsolete the Wii, if I remember correctly there was some data a few months back that suggested in terms of % and raw numbers the Wii is connected to more HDTVs than the PS3 or 360.  HDTV owners haven't forsaken the Wii and if anything have actually embraced it. 

As for the 512MBs of memory I think it is pretty obvious now that we will see them open up the USB port very soon allowing for a significant increase in storage.  If they open it up to USB hard drives as well I'll have a Wii with more space than nine 80GB PS3s.

3) The PS3 is no doubt the most well equipped when it comes to new technologies and standards.  Unfortunately it is lacking one of the most important new technologies which is full-featured and fully supported motion controls. This won't stop it from having a typical full console life at all, but by the time Nintendo and MS are moving into the next generation Sony will be faced with two major problems with not releasing a successor of their own.

Their first problem is one of motion controls. With Nintendo leading the way already, Sony will be in a position where they can't really afford to give 2 generations of head start to Nintendo in the motion controls.  Making that choice puts them seriously behind the curve and allows Nintendo to finalize the bonds so that "motion controls = Nintendo = motions controls" in the mind of the consumer.

Their second problem is one of technology. As you pointed out MS will likely be launching a new Console around the 2011 time frame and that means that Sony will then be competing against a new console that is almost certainly superior to the PS3 given its release some 5 years after the PS3.

In short, not releasing a new unit in line with their competitors puts them way behind in 2 of the most key areas and substantially cripples their ability to stake out a claim in future generations without assuming the risk of disruption themselves...which may actually be a good thing but they'd still prefer to avoid being forced into it and choose to on their own.

To Each Man, Responsibility
Around the Network
HappySqurriel said:

If Nintendo and Microsoft release systems which are far more powerful and feature rich than the PS3, use a user-interface that is based on the Wiimote (but is dramatically better), and are released at an affordable price ($300) why would someone continue to buy a PS3 that uses an obsolete controller and has outdated graphics?

If people don't consider the wii's graphics outdated this gen, the ps3 graphics won't be condidered outdated. Remember that they would even get better than what we see today.

PS3 would be cheaper than both the new wii and xbox by then and would be cheaper to develop for with a higher user base that is still supported so it will continue to sell

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

Hawkeye said:
If sticking with the PS3 is such a great plan, why didn't Sony stick with the titan that is the PS2 and ride out this current gen without making a PS3?
Sony's console will last 5-6 years, and will probably be supported/sold for at least 7-8

Because the ps2 was already less powerful than its competitors and lacks the features to support the tech advances of today along with the fact that is produced enough profit for PS3 R&D. PS3 would have to do that for ps4

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

RolStoppable said:
Your reasonings are poor, especially for the Wii and the PS3. The only future proof system right now is the Wii. Why? Count the hardware revisions of the current gen systems.

My reasoning is poor? It is much better than yours. Hardware revisions are geared towards stability and lower manufacturing cost. This would be a nonentity for the ps3 by the next gen. There is is simply noway a 512 mb wii would still be around

slimeattack said:
A controller can be updated, user-interface also, and as Wii shows, graphics doesn't always matter.

Thats part of my arguement for why the ps3 would still be around. With the technology of the wii though, it must upgrade. Do you know anyone who still uses RF-input-only TVs?

Around the Network
Pristine20 said:
RolStoppable said:
Your reasonings are poor, especially for the Wii and the PS3. The only future proof system right now is the Wii. Why? Count the hardware revisions of the current gen systems.

My reasoning is poor? It is much better than yours. Hardware revisions are geared towards stability and lower manufacturing cost. This would be a nonentity for the ps3 by the next gen. There is is simply noway a 512 mb wii would still be around

I don't want to get into this discussion, but I do want to tell you that the wii is capable of supporting more than 512mbs with a firmware update, and that a solution will most likely be announced this E3.

thekitchensink said:
So, Microsoft can't fix the reliability issues without making a new console, Nintendo can't come up with a storage solution without a making a new console, and Sony simply can't MAKE a new console.

k...

If M$ could fix it, the new SKUs won't be having the same problem but we all know thats not the case. Sony would need enough profits from ps3 to make ps4. Their divisions operate seperately so the money must come from SCE.

Sqrl said:
Pristine20 said:

My reasoning:

1) The x360 will see its successor by 2011 due to hardware problems, DVD limitations and M$ insistence being the first on the scene and this time around M$ would have made money to cover R&D costs.

2) The wii will get an upgrade to HD since SDtvs would eventually become obsolete and 512 mb of memory is just pitiful for current standards.

3) The ps3 would last 2 generations while its developments costs ultimately fall and it becomes like the ps2 gen again where Sony was around first with the worst hardware power. PS3 is the most future-proof with a SATA HDD, blu-ray, gigabit ethernet, etc. Also, ps3 would not make enough money for ps4  R&D costs till the nex-gen of consoles. The ps4 would eventually release slightly before the gen after the next gen as the first on the scene.

There would be no major technology overhaul used on any console again and no company would take a loss on consoles.

What do you guys think of my predictions?

1) I pretty much agree with your time line and your reasons aren't the main factors I see but they will be factors.  So in part, I agree with this one.

2) SDTVs becoming obsolete doesn't obsolete the Wii, if I remember correctly there was some data a few months back that suggested in terms of % and raw numbers the Wii is connected to more HDTVs than the PS3 or 360.  HDTV owners haven't forsaken the Wii and if anything have actually embraced it. 

As for the 512MBs of memory I think it is pretty obvious now that we will see them open up the USB port very soon allowing for a significant increase in storage.  If they open it up to USB hard drives as well I'll have a Wii with more space than nine 80GB PS3s.

3) The PS3 is no doubt the most well equipped when it comes to new technologies and standards.  Unfortunately it is lacking one of the most important new technologies which is full-featured and fully supported motion controls. This won't stop it from having a typical full console life at all, but by the time Nintendo and MS are moving into the next generation Sony will be faced with two major problems with not releasing a successor of their own.

Their first problem is one of motion controls. With Nintendo leading the way already, Sony will be in a position where they can't really afford to give 2 generations of head start to Nintendo in the motion controls.  Making that choice puts them seriously behind the curve and allows Nintendo to finalize the bonds so that "motion controls = Nintendo = motions controls" in the mind of the consumer.

Their second problem is one of technology. As you pointed out MS will likely be launching a new Console around the 2011 time frame and that means that Sony will then be competing against a new console that is almost certainly superior to the PS3 given its release some 5 years after the PS3.

In short, not releasing a new unit in line with their competitors puts them way behind in 2 of the most key areas and substantially cripples their ability to stake out a claim in future generations without assuming the risk of disruption themselves...which may actually be a good thing but they'd still prefer to avoid being forced into it and choose to on their own.

Sony could update the six-axis motion control system and besides I think the motion control thing is over-exaggerated. Some games would never use motion controls. Can you play street fighter with motion controls? The money for PS4 R&D would have to come from SCE and it would be a long time coming.

sc94597 said:
Pristine20 said:
RolStoppable said:

I don't want to get into this discussion, but I do want to tell you that the wii is capable of supporting more than 512mbs with a firmware update, and that a solution will most likely be announced this E3.

we'll see.

RolStoppable said:
slimeattack said:
RolStoppable said:

In 2012 512 MB memory will be nothing and blu-ray will outsell dvd.

Not true and not true.

You're acting like everything would still be the same price in 2012. By then, we'll be buying 50-pack empty blu-ray disks for $25 and 512mb is nothing now not to even mention 2012. Its okay to be a wii fan and to disagree but please reason and provide your reasoning.