By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why isn't this NA's Brain Training?

42 games covering everything from poker and hearts to connect five, billiards, bowling and chess. This game has it all. It's well put together, has single card local wireless play (as well as online) and has something for everyone.

I got this game in part so my parents could play on my DS. Within a week, my mom suggested we get dad a DS for Fathers day just so he could have his own to play it with. We gave it to him early. And now he plays solitaire late at night, Him and my mom play bowling together, Mom and I play balance, chinese checkers, lines and squares, It's a free for all. My mom's friend wants a DS now so she can play this game on the plane.

With a game that appeals to the new gamer (thats right, not "Non", not "Casual", NEW!) like this, how has this not blown up in the charts? Why isn't this North America's Brain Training? This game should be moving systems like crazy to the over 30 crowd. It's so easy and accesible. All games have instructions and the stylus control so easy to grasp.

I just don't get why this game isn't absolutely, market expandingly huge?

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

Around the Network

yeah, i rather liked this title. very convenient package with pretty much all the games you can ask for.

but it's just not as addictive as something like brain age. besides, brain age is unique; here it's just convenience...

maybe it'll grow in popularity?

there are some really stupid things about the games though... like in poker and some other games you can go to negative chips. just ridiculous.

old maid for instance... it just doesn't feel fun to play that game without actual cards. same applies for a few other card games.

i also want to note that the interface for the bridge game is absolutely AWFUL. you can't review the bidding, i'm not sure who made what bid, and then when dummy comes down, i don't even know what position i am in relation to dummy.

oh yeah, AI is awful. yes, i know, it's a DS. still, say for bridge, there's ZERO AI programmed in. or say poker, there's little to no AI.

i don't know about solitare and what nots, i'm never into those games. but those are likely to work better since A) no AI necessary and B) you don't lose the experience on the DS.

overall it's good, especially if you're on a plane or something.

the Wii is an epidemic.

I haven't played bridge yet,  Infact there are a couple games I haven't played. After all, there are 42 of them! As for the AI. Before a game you can set the opponent's difficulty. Perhaps you only had it on easy? Of course It'll always be more fun against friends and family than against the CPU.

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

My wife and I play this game often. We really enjoy it. I'm kind of suprised it's not selling more too.

Tag: Hawk - Reluctant Dark Messiah (provided by fkusumot)

own it, love it, agree with you that it's odd that it's ignored. One of my favorite DS games (Nothing beats Jump! Ultimate Stars though... never thought an import game would be so fun)

Around the Network

I actually bought this for my Grandmother (92!), as she wanted to play bridge.

But she could barely use a DS, and the bridge within the game is not the 'bridge' that oldies play in clubs (I'm not too well versed in the differences).

My partner, her sister and her mother have all enjoyed this title - although ironically, it was the BOWLING that hooked my partners mother (and its not great).

The game itself is not that polished. It has heaps of content, but presentation, UI design/layout and input could all be better. I grew tired of this pretty quickly, and didn't actually want to play most of the games. The challenge mode is sort of cool though.

It doesn't compare to Brain Training IMO, which is really, REALLY awesome (and I can't wait for BT2 to come out here!).

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

I want to get this...I just keep passing it up because it's...well...card games.

But apparently Brain Training is better? I haven't really played the Brain Age or Brain Training games.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

why isn't it big? marketing not doing a good job.

BenKenobi88 said:
I want to get this...I just keep passing it up because it's...well...card games.

So far, Card games are what we play the least. We mainly play Bowling (which is easily the DS equivelent of Wii Sports bowling), Balance, Darts, Chinese Checkers, Billiards (which admittedly isn't executed that well) and connect five. Sure there are lots of cardgames, but there's also just so much more.

Of course, if you're only going to play it by yourself I can see the hesitation. It really is meant to be shared and enjoyed.

shams said:

I actually bought this for my Grandmother (92!), as she wanted to play bridge.

But she could barely use a DS, and the bridge within the game is not the 'bridge' that oldies play in clubs (I'm not too well versed in the differences).

it is the same bridge.  it's too bad bridge has now deterioted into an oldie's game.  when i go to clubs to play usually i always get "it's nice to see some young peole playing the game!"  

the Wii is an epidemic.