By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
Broncos724 said:

Rubang, you gave an argument based on the 2004 movie "Day After Tomorrow."  EPIC FAIL

I've been silently reading all of the responses to this thread and as of yet no one has provided a sound, supporting argument for global warming being man-made.  In fact, I have never heard a single good supporting argument, and I strongly suspect that's because there aren't any.

To whoever said global warming is a scare tactic used so scientists can continue to have jobs, you are correct.

To whoever said human CO2 output completely dwarfs the output by industries, thank you for using common sense.

Not to mention that we would be so lucky to have average temperatures rise.

One of the most important things I've learned is that the media is very, very powerful...

I haven't seen that movie, so I don't know how it's the basis for my arguments.  If it was somehow, it was purely coincidence.

Around the Network
The Ghost of RubangB said:
Broncos724 said:

Rubang, you gave an argument based on the 2004 movie "Day After Tomorrow."  EPIC FAIL

I've been silently reading all of the responses to this thread and as of yet no one has provided a sound, supporting argument for global warming being man-made.  In fact, I have never heard a single good supporting argument, and I strongly suspect that's because there aren't any.

To whoever said global warming is a scare tactic used so scientists can continue to have jobs, you are correct.

To whoever said human CO2 output completely dwarfs the output by industries, thank you for using common sense.

One of the most important things I've learned is that the media is very, very powerful...

I haven't seen that movie, so I don't know how it's the basis for my arguments.  If it was somehow, it was purely coincidence.

It was a terrible movie. Don't bother watching it either.

@ the person who accused you of this: bolded: Please, that is quite the naive statement. There are many, many legitimate, respected people who hold academic integrity as the highest priority when researching and to claim otherwise, without ANY evidence, and generalise the way you did is very hypocritical. While there isn't any concluive evidence, there certainly is data that is discomforting.

Second bolded: Yes, we should be so lucky as to have to make major and abrupt lifestyle changes on top of the fact that many of us would have to migrate from our homes. Lucky indeed. Regardless of whether or not global warming is human-aided, it is happening and should not be considered lucky.

Always so much FUD in these debates.../sigh

OK, since I'm really not in the mood to type this up again I'll just quote myself:

Here is a summary of some of the points made from my link along with the sources they provided, these are some of the problems with the theory of anthropogenic global warming:

Point 1) Some 84% of total anthropogenic hydrocarbon output has occurred after 1940 when it started to increase exponentially, and yet the rate of temperature change has remained the same from ~1840 to present.  This indicates that temperatures were unaffected by a sudden massive increase in C02 and hydrocarbon output.

Point 2) According to ice core records an increase of 7% C02 should correspond to approximately a 1C increase in temperature. Yet over the last century we have seen a 30% increase in C02 and only a 0.5C increase in temperature. (note that the data actually suggest Temperature drives C02 and not the other way around which is precisely why this flaw exists).

Point 3) Temperature variations on Mars, Jupiter, Neptune, and Triton all mimic the changes here on earth in trend but not in magnitude. This heavily implies that they are both responding to the same factor but are getting different amounts of exposure. The sun fits this description perfectly. Also note that these planets not being inhabited by mankind could not have anthropogenic global warming and thus the cause is clearly not related.

Sources Point 1:
Marland, G., Boden, T. A., and Andres, R. J. (2007) Global, Regional, and National CO2 Emissions. In Trends: A Compendium of Data on Global Change. Carbon Dioxide Information Analysis Center, Oak Ridge National Laboratory, U.S. Department of Energy, Oak Ridge, TN, USA,

Sources Point 2:
-Petit et. al., (1999) Nature 399, 429-436.
-Schneider, D. P. et. al. (2006) Geophysical Research Letters 33, 2006GL027057.

Sources Point 3:
-Baliunas, S. L. et. al. (1995) Astrophysical Journal 438, 269-287.
-Fenton, L. K., Geissler, P. E., and Haberle, R. M. (2007) Nature 446, 646-649.
-Marcus, P. S. (2004) Nature 428, 828-831.
-Hammel, H. B., Lynch, D. K., Russell, R. W., Sitko, M. L., Bernstein, L. S., and Hewagama, T.
(2006) Astrophysical Journal 644, 1326-1333.
-Hammel, H. B., and Lockwood, G. W. (2007) Geophysical Research Letters 34, 2006GL028764.
-Elliot, J. L., et. al. (1998) Nature 393, 765-767.

The paper goes on to note that even if we do continue to see natural or anthropogenic increases in temperature it would be a good thing and not a bad thing. It makes this point by citing numerous studies that have shown C02 & temperature increases cause plant life to flourish and as a result animal life as well. Longer growing seasons and increases in workable lands would also be a result, which would in turn mean a greatly improved situation globally for countries where food supplies are scarce. In short, even if the worst of the realistic alarmists scenarios were to occur we would see tremendous net positives.

They also point out that tales of increased storm frequency, strength, etc... are exaggerated and that no increase has occurred in the last century based on undisputed empirical evidence and even the best storm modelers now agree that global warming would actually have a positive impact on storm activity for mankind and not a negative one.

In short, from start to finish the scare about global warming being a threat is bogus, and the idea that global warming is caused by mankind is equally bogus. You need not look further than the likes of Enron to see the source of the hysteria, its no coincidence that the dissenting view finally started being heard around 2001 when Enron went out of business, and their enormous financial and political clout was no longer being brought to bare. And it should come as no surprise that Mr. Gore was one of Kenneth Lay's biggest supporters (and vice versa) during his vice presidency. Of course in fairness Lay was concerned with keeping all politicians in his pocket and had a long list of them from both parties, who happily went along provided they stayed in power.

The moral outrage about global warming is the work of a puppet master pulling the strings he knows will get the strongest response from an uninformed and mislead public who would rather buy into it than look into it. If you are interested in this matter you owe it to yourself to hear both sides of the issue and I urge you to read the report I linked to above, I read realclimate at least once a month to catch up on the other viewpoint and believe it or not I used to be of the other viewpoint. If you can't make it through the 12 pages (extremely short for a paper like this actually) and follow along with the subject, then you're breaking a basic tenant of science by not considering all of the evidence.

In science no debate is ever finished, even Isaac Newton was once defeated on his idea that light was a particle by Dutch physicist Christian Huygens who believed it was a wave. Huygens devised an experiment known as the "double-slit experiment" which proved light behaved like a wave. It took more than a century before that settled matter was revisited and Einstein, working from a theory suggested by Richard Feynman, was able to show that it was actually both, in effect proving Newton, Huygens, & Feynman were ALL correct. And Feynman's assertion was that each photon traveled through both slits...pretty weird huh? But to this day that is still the prevailing theory...and yet it too could one day be challenged. So again, this idea that a debate ends in science is ridiculous. The fact that someone would even declare such a thing should be reason enough to thoroughly scrutinize anything they've proposed, especially the matter they claim to have ended.

To Each Man, Responsibility

pollution is damaging and real, global warming, not so much. I think it is climate change.
I believe Al Gore is a prick

And that's the only thing I need is *this*. I don't need this or this. Just this PS4... And this gaming PC. - The PS4 and the Gaming PC and that's all I need... And this Xbox 360. - The PS4, the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360, and that's all I need... And these PS3's. - The PS4, and these PS3's, and the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360... And this Nintendo DS. - The PS4, this Xbox 360, and the Gaming PC, and the PS3's, and that's all *I* need. And that's *all* I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one... I need this. - The Gaming PC and PS4, and Xbox 360, and thePS3's . Well what are you looking at? What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - And this. That's all I need.

Obligatory dick measuring Gaming Laptop Specs: Sager NP8270-GTX: 17.3" FULL HD (1920X1080) LED Matte LC, nVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M, Intel Core i7-4700MQ, 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3, 750GB SATA II 3GB/s 7,200 RPM Hard Drive

mr.elite said:
Broncos724 said:

Rubang, you gave an argument based on the 2004 movie "Day After Tomorrow." EPIC FAIL

I've been silently reading all of the responses to this thread and as of yet no one has provided a sound, supporting argument for global warming being man-made. In fact, I have never heard a single good supporting argument, and I strongly suspect that's because there aren't any.

To whoever said global warming is a scare tactic used so scientists can continue to have jobs, you are correct. mr.elite

To whoever said human CO2 output completely dwarfs the output by industries, thank you for using common sense. mr.elite

One of the most important things I've learned is that the media is very, very powerful... Yes Read Below

Yes. Please read my link. It will turn your heads.

http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/show/news_press_release,176495.shtml

BTW: The cold kills twice as many people as the heat does.

Since the 1920's deaths per year caused by extreme weather are down 95%.

"It is the greatest scam in history. I m amazed appauled and highly offended by it. Global Warming; it is a scam"

---John Coleman Founder of the Weather Channel speaking out on Global Warming

You do realize that you're linking to an advertisement for a book, right?

Yeah it's a book about scientists who oppose global warming, and I read the whole article (summary) and it didn't convince me of anything.  It just said it's hard for them to get attention in the media.  They wanted me to then assume it was because it's hip to believe in global warming and faulty science but the truth can't get out, that these mere 500 scientists have discovered.  I don't know, maybe it's just a crappy book.  Either way, that link was a horrible example.

I'm not gonna click every link in your earlier gigantic post.  But if you want to give me one or 2 good links, I'll be happy to read them and discuss them.

"The cold kills twice as many people as the heat does."  Okay.  Irrelevant to global warming.

"Since the 1920's deaths per year caused by extreme weather are down 95%."  Okay.  Irrelevant to global warming.

And what's with your constant quoting of John Coleman as if he's credible?  Yeah he founded the Weather Channel, so what?  He aws the president and CEO when he founded it in 1982, and they kicked him out in only one year.  Now he's just a weatherman, like he's been for 26 years.  And there's a big difference between wanting to sue somebody and being able to sue somebody at all.  He's just a wackjob these days.  Not a credible source.

In fact, if you go to the Weather Channel's web site right now, www.weather.com, there's a link to a Climate & Green section on the front page, and I just took a poll there.  It asked "Taking the amount of solar power hitting Earth in 1 hour, how long could you power the world?"  5 minutes, 2 days, or 1 year?  I picked one year, and it said "You are correct!  That's one whole year!  And if you installed 1 kilowatt solar system in your home, each month you'd prevent 300 lbs. of CO2 pollution." and gave me a link to find out more.  Looks like the Weather Channel thinks minimizing CO2 pollution is a good idea, and it's only their ex-CEO who's raising a stink.

Around the Network

@sqrl

What is FUD and who has been doing/saying it?

Sqrl, I'm too busy for that right now, but pretty soon I'll read that whole report and respond in this thread.

FUD is Fear/Uncertainty/Doubt.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fear%2C_uncertainty_and_doubt

Ah, thank you.

Google/Wiki is my friend.

pearljammer said:

Ah, thank you.

Google/Wiki is my friend.

Sometimes Wikipedia is abused by those who want to make sure their view is the only thing that is heard.

To Each Man, Responsibility