By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft pays 50 million dollars for GTA Exclusive Content

ckmlb said:
naznatips said:
libellule said:

http://vgchartz.com/worldtotals.php?name=&console=PS2&publisher=&sort=Others
Here are all the PS2 games, put in order of most sales in PAL territories to least. Grand Theft Auto occupies the 1st, 2nd, and 4th highest positions.

==> impressive ... so many "bad" games so high in the top (FIFA, NFS ...)

so finally, the GTA add-on content will be exclusive or not ?
I don't get the point about what was saying take2 ?

did M$ give take2 50M$ for this exclusivity ?

There were so many bad games in the top because the PS2 was what the Wii is. The casual gamer system. Of course hardcore are mixed in there, but sports games, racing games, GTA games, that kind of stuff will sell very well. Of course GTA really sells to both casual and hardcore, but it really is a casual game.

GTA is a game for both audiences, kinda like Super Mario...

Yes, I am aware of that.  Hence the last sentence.  GTA is a game that sells to pretty much anyone.

Around the Network

This is huge for MS, and the money is pocket change for them. C'mon, MS MAKE something like 5billion in a quarter! This is 1% of their quarterly profits ---> nothing.

Its fantastic for 360 fans, great for the 360 sales - and great for Xbox Live. How many people will HAVE TO get Xbox Live now just for this.

I expect this to sell about 4:1 -> 360:PS3 over its lifetime now. The only question is, how do both versions of the game compared? Have T2 focused their efforts on the 360 (leading skew), with the PS3 coming 2nd - or put maximum effort into both platforms?
(360 leading wouldn't surprise me, with the 360 having a huge lead on the PS3 outside of Japan)

If the PS3 version gets considerably better scores than the 360 version, the situation may change. But I don't really expect this to happen because:

- hasn't been enough time to "fully" tap the power of the PS3
 - PS3 effectively will have less RAM available for the game than 360 version
 - PS3 version will "load slower",  given  that the streaming speed of the PS3 BluRay drive is less than the 360 DVD drive (but then the PS3 version can use the hdisk - although the 360 version may as well, and most people with 360's have premium 360's).

Sony are (no doubt) in development with several GTA clones - but can they compare to the quality of GTA4, and can they match the (massive) brand name that is GTA? 

The console wars have suddenly got a lot hotter and more serious... bring it on! 

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

shams said:

This is huge for MS, and the money is pocket change for them. C'mon, MS MAKE something like 5billion in a quarter! This is 1% of their quarterly profits ---> nothing.

Its fantastic for 360 fans, great for the 360 sales - and great for Xbox Live. How many people will HAVE TO get Xbox Live now just for this.

I expect this to sell about 4:1 -> 360:PS3 over its lifetime now. The only question is, how do both versions of the game compared? Have T2 focused their efforts on the 360 (leading skew), with the PS3 coming 2nd - or put maximum effort into both platforms?
(360 leading wouldn't surprise me, with the 360 having a huge lead on the PS3 outside of Japan)

If the PS3 version gets considerably better scores than the 360 version, the situation may change. But I don't really expect this to happen because:

- PS3 version will "load slower", given that the streaming speed of the PS3 BluRay drive is less than the 360 DVD drive (but then the PS3 version can use the hdisk - although the 360 version may as well, and most people with 360's have premium 360's).

Sony are (no doubt) in development with several GTA clones - but can they compare to the quality of GTA4, and can they match the (massive) brand name that is GTA?

The console wars have suddenly got a lot hotter and more serious... bring it on!

Load times won't be longer on the PS3 version.  I'm sure they'll do what they did with Oblivion and use the Blu-Ray space to duplicate data.  They might as well, since it's a dual version game they obviously aren't using the space for extra content.  I'm sure both games will be reviewed about equally.

shams said:

- PS3 version will "load slower",  given  that the streaming speed of the PS3 BluRay drive is less than the 360 DVD drive (but then the PS3 version can use the hdisk - although the 360 version may as well, and most people with 360's have premium 360's).

like rockstar said themselves they have to develope the 360 version of the game with all sku's in mind even the people without harddrives...all those ps3 disadvantages may or may not be true..... but i like your last comment....

console wars are definetly gonna get very interesting starting in about 1 and half more months BRING it on!!!!!

THe oNLY TRue STuPiDiTY iS THe aCCePTaNCe oF iGNoRaNCe 

PSNTAG K_I_N_G__COKE

The King Of The Iron Fist tournament

shams said:

BRING IT OOONNNN!!!!!!

URNOTE Proud Owner of a 60GB PS3 Console (Purchased 12/22/06)

#1 reason MGS4 is PS3 exclusive  xbox is too loud for snake to sneak around
PSNTAG= Xander732

Around the Network
naznatips said:
shams said:

- PS3 version will "load slower", given that the streaming speed of the PS3 BluRay drive is less than the 360 DVD drive (but then the PS3 version can use the hdisk - although the 360 version may as well, and most people with 360's have premium 360's).

Load times won't be longer on the PS3 version. I'm sure they'll do what they did with Oblivion and use the Blu-Ray space to duplicate data. They might as well, since it's a dual version game they obviously aren't using the space for extra content. I'm sure both games will be reviewed about equally.

Duplicating the data helps with reducing seek times, but not with reducing the loading time of a big chunk of data. A hard speed limit is a hard speed limit.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

To shams,

the score review will be similar, i m pretty sure that the game will have the same aspect,
the only difference, and it is a huge one, is about the exclusive content ... 

AND

http://ncroal.talk.newsweek.com/default.asp?item=283473

it explains (truth or not ?) why sony lost GTA IV exclusivity ...

Time to Work !

ItsaMii said:
This does not make the PS3 version look so bad. Not at all. If you pay 50 for live + 20-30 for extras, the difference between Xbox360 and PS3 is far from $200.

The $50 Xbox Live fee is easily offset the need for  the HDMI cable and the Blue Tooth Head Set not included with the PS3.  Also, all new Xbox Live accounts get 1-month free of Xbox Live, to try it out.  A super demo you could say.  So lets see, to play GTA IV online with a new Xbox 360 is $470 (Premium + game), to play GTA IV online with the PS3 it is $719 (PS3 @$599+ HDMI cable @$10 + Blue Tooth Heasdest at $50 + game @$60).  That is a $249 difference.  If the consumer enjoys Xbox Live, they can then choose to buy Xbox Live for $50 and the difference is now $200.   Explain to me where I jacked up the price for the PS3 package.  Now with that $200 difference a new Xbox 360 owner could also get Halo 3, and Assassin's Creed, and Half Life 2 Orange.  And it is still cheaper than the PS3 package with only GTA IV.

I heard that Microsoft payed for it in Microsoft points!!!

lol. That'd be funny "Microsoft to buy GTAIV Exclusive content for 40 million MS points. Rockstar to download all content onto 3 Elite hard drives".

Just remember, you don't need to pay the "$50" (its more like $39) fee to get the content on XBLA. Heck, I haven't had a gold account ever, and I've downloaded tons of free and pay-for content.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.