By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - If Sony doesnt cut the cost of the PS3 before Christmas

Rock_on_2008 said:
Gamers do not care if Sony, Microsoft or Nintendo lost money. All we care about is the best price. Only the shareholders or Company owners care about whether or not the company is profitable.
All price cuts are good news. If a faceless corporation makes a loss to deliver a price cut. Big deal.

Um, what the heck are you spewing? Gamers DO care if the console makers make profits. It goes into R&D for their next console(s), and helps them plan out other things for the company. Sure us consumers want their consoles to be at an affordable price, but we do plan on the companies to make some / a lot of money so that they will make better consoles and such.

On top of that, I absolutely HATE Sony's business plan; make an expensive console with high-tech hardware, lose money on profits for awhile until the software sales pick up and they get their revenue back. Absolutely absurd and dumb of them to even think of that. They should make a console that is 'powerful' enough to play high-end software, but is affordable enough to be used and get the job done. Wow, that sounds like a console already out on the market.

What is MUCH BETTER??

Making a console that's less expensive, doesn't require raw horsepower for graphics, but the games are just as fun; then it sells out fast and the company gains profits on each console sold off the get-go.

OR, make a console that is very expensive, has a lot of horsepower and the games are just as fun; but it sells SOOO slow due to price for the 'mass-market,' games that do not expand through the mass-market (but are still fun to play but only a select group of gamers; a gaming niche) by appealing to everyone and the company loses profit on each unit sold.

I'd rather stick with the console that is cheaper to produce and sell so that it gains profit on each unit sold (even though the company didn't know it would sell like hotcakes at first!).

Around the Network
dallas said:
You people might be right about Sony not cutting the price.....or they may just bundle another game or even the rumble controller w/ the cheap PS3. Keep in mind that price is not the only tool used to manipulate the sales/profitability dynamic for any of the competitors.

Bundling can be a (some what) successful way to improve the value of a console for a consumer but I suspect that the value of bundling is related to the price of the console ... Consider that a $50 game for a $100 console just seems like a far better deal than a $60 game with a $400 console. I suspect that to (really) get an appealing bundle at $400 you might need an additional controller, 2 games and a HDMI cable.

The way ps3 is selling now I don't see them cutting price until next year no matter what microsoft does but who knows.

i think they will be watching the prices of other BD players and making sure to keep it under that cap, but as far as the 360 is concerned there is no need. Especially if FFXIII hits this Xmas.

Kyros said:

owever I still don't see you giving any arguments as to why they will cut the price and therefore lose even more then they already do.

They will not fall behind the 360 in sales again. Being the junior partner in the big PS360 multiplatform game market was bad. They got crappy ports if they got them at all. So if the 360 sells more Sony will react. I am pretty sure about that.

Besides I think the effect of 100$ price cut on their profit is overrated. 10 million consoles ~ 1 billion dollar. That's less than MS lost on their quality problems. On the other hand with every console they sell more they will make money for games, downloads, peripherals, BluRay discs etc.

Much of their loss is fixed anyway: Development costs, advertisement campaign, game development costs etc.

So the question is when will the price-cut cost bring a return on investment to them. And somehow I am sure that Sony won't sit by while discounted 360s sell like hotcakes in the hugely important christmas season. They didn't do this last christmas and they won't do it this christmas either.

And finally the Ps3 will be 2 year old technology by then. If you look at PC prices you can be sure that it will once again have a substantial production cost drop till christmas.

But again this is like predicting the weather. We simply will not know till it happened.

That $1 Billion dollars a year! As they would then be in a cycle of reducing their price to follow MS.

So here’s what could happen.

1. Sony makes more profit in the last few years of the generation, but in the next gen, Sony will launch at the same time as MS, Effectively shortening the life span of the PS3. (huge loss here for the PS3. All Sony is doing is delaying the inevitable)

2. When the Ps4 launches, the price of the PS3 will still be quite high (higher than that of the PS2 at the same time in the life cycle) so the switch to the next console will be at a lower price differential and we will see a higher number of people jump to the next gen sooner.

3. They continue to lose $100 per console until the focus is on PS4 (estimated 2012 i.e 4 years of $1Billion + losses)

These 3 scenarios would see Sony losing every dollar the Play station business has ever made, the only saving grace the PS3 has is blu-ray.

Most of their loss is in the cost of goods. The other costs are small in contrast to this.

Predictions JAN 08

2008 PS3-19.5M(actual 19.5) XBOX360-23M(actual 27.5) Wii - 37M(actual 45.8M)

End of 2009 PS3-27 25M XBOX360-30 35M Wii - 48 63M (revised DEC 08)

Price Point
Mid 2008 Wii $250 Xbox360$249 Xbox360(HDD)$299 PS3 $399

Mid 2009 Wii $189 Xbox360$199 Xbox360(HDD)$249 PS3 $339

Mid 2010 Wii $ 149 Xbox360$159 Xbox360(HDD)$199 PS3 $289

Around the Network
Linkzmax said:
Q3(Holidays) was a profitable quarter, while Q4(Jan-Mar) was back to a loss.

Care to explain your conclusion? I mean it wasn't that Oct-Dec last year, Sony was still selling boatloads of 1st and 2nd generation PS3s (the ones with the heavy production costs tacked on), or was it?

M$ price cut will only help them in NA Sony can afford a regional price cut. We will soon know how much they are losing per PS3 so these predictions should be held off till then. Sony is focusing on profit; but profit doesn't really mean intimidate profit. They need a somewhat large base in NA to make sure their software continues bringing in the dough; giving M$ a massive boost in hardware will hurt them in the long run.