By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - VG Charts - Most To-Be-Purchased Titles 2007 (console)

Pokemon Diamond/Pearl will be the top-selling game of 2007, hands down. I didn't mention them because shams' poll specifically mentioned console games only. As far as comparing to the aforementioned Grand Theft Auto and Halo games... don't be so sure. Last year, the sales for Madden came to 6 million copies across all platforms (3.57 million for PS2, 1.67 million for 360, and about 350k for both Wii and PS3). Given that a lot of people have purchased new consoles, or will be purchasing new consoles this year, the sales could go up for this holiday season. (PS2 sales will be down, but the new systems should compensate.) Even if they remain the same, 6 million is an absolutely gigantic number for a single year. Don't underestimate how big it is. Yes, the last two Grand Theft Auto games both came close to 15 million in sales, and GTA4 will be a runaway hit this holiday season. But remember the install base for the PS2 was gigantic; people who wanted a copy of Vice City or San Andreas could go out and get a PS2 for $150 dollars to play the game. That's hardly the case right now, as the game is only coming out on the much more expensive "HD" consoles, plus the install base for 360 + PS3 is vastly lower. (Ironically, GTA4 would move many more copies if a version were being released for PS2!) Sales will still be very, very good - but not 15 million good. Halo 2 did 8 million sales, but that was over quite a few years, not a single holiday season. And again, the XBox was much cheaper (and had a larger install base) when it was released, compared to the position the 360 currently holds. Halo 3 will again move a ton of copies, but come nowhere close to 8 million. (Maybe over the system's lifespan, but certainly not this holiday season.) Since it's only being released on a single system, I doubt Halo 3 will sell as many copies as Madden this year, when you combine all four of its platforms together. Could obviously be wrong, but I don't see it happening. (I'm not saying Halo will be UNsuccessful, just that it won't reach the same heights.) Anyway, it will be a fun comparison. One reason that GTA/Halo have always sold well is that they successfully reached out past "hardcore" gamers and captured casuals, which drove up their sales (GTA especially). Given the much higher prices of 360/PS3 compared to the last generation, will the same be true for their latest incarnations? We'll see. But don't be surprised if Madden is closer than you think to these games, despite getting ZERO mention from the Internet message boards! :)

My Website

End of 2008 totals: Wii 42m, 360 24m, PS3 18.5m (made Jan. 4, 2008)

Around the Network
gorgepir said:
Although the list is well constructed and has some value, the only thing it proves in my opinion is that their are more Wii fans here in VGchartz than PS3 fans, and more PS3 fans than Xbox360.

You could also say that the Wii has sold double the PS3 worldwide, so there are BOUND to be more Wii owners!

If the PS3:Wii vote ratio was 1:1, I would think that the board was not representative of the "public".

What surprised me more, was the 360 - and specifically Halo. That says to me that we don't have enough 360 supporters on this board - I wonder if they all hang out at nexgenwars (360 sales 1m+ higher?) - or maybe they are just all playing games, while the rest of us whinge about the state of the industry ;)

I'm fairly sure that SPM will hit 2m - and probably top out around 2.5m.

Remember that it has JUST come out (recently) in both Japan & US. It will sell around 500-600k in Europe in opening month, leaving it only 400k to sell worldwide (forever). Easy.

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

Slayer of God said:
Great job on this thread shams. I appreciate all the hard and tedious work. If your up to doing a handheld one that would rock, but I definately wouldn't blame you if you took a break and left it for someone else. thanks

I'll consider it down the road ;) ... will definitely take a break after this one. If another one does go ahead, I'll consider setting up a poll/database/web script to handle it. Shouldn't be too hard (eliminates the errors at least...).

Even considering writing a simple mobile app (prevent cheating!), people will submit answers by SMS.

Anyway... 

Gesta Non Verba

Game Assessment website

RolStoppable said:

Was any EA game mentioned on any of these lists shams posted? I think not. EA hasn't got a good reputation among hardcore gamers. But I guess EA doesn't really care for this small group of the market, seeing that their games for casuals (Madden, FIFA, Need for Speed etc) sell that good and made them the best selling 3rd party publisher of the world.

Somehow interesting fact: I own 170+ games for various consoles and handhelds and not a single one is an EA game.

Not on the top10 lists - but there are some notables coming out:

- Madden / NCAA
 - Harry Potter
 - Burnout (new)
 - other sports titles (Tiger Woods, NBA, Fight Night??, etc...)
 - MySims
 - EA Playground
 - Army of Two
 - Need for Speed

I don't own a lot of EA titles either. Maybe a couple. I would say they appeal more to "casual" gamers (in general). If you take out the Sports & Sims titles, they still have NFS (one of biggest selling titles every year), etc.

Gesta Non Verba

Game Assessment website

Ea also has some awards for turning the non-videogame frachises into the worst games ever. Just play Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings and James Bond (not all) games. They also do not like coming up with their own formulas they just copy and paste from other good games. Unlike Sony, most times they do not refine the formula they just downgrade the game experience. I can not get over their Lord of the Rings RPG for PS2 it was the worst (and only) FF X clone ever.

Satan said:

"You are for ever angry, all you care about is intelligence, but I repeat again that I would give away all this superstellar life, all the ranks and honours, simply to be transformed into the soul of a merchant's wife weighing eighteen stone and set candles at God's shrine."

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
windbane said:
RolStoppable said:

Somehow interesting fact: I own 170+ games for various consoles and handhelds and not a single one is an EA game.

Then you don't like sports games. Yes, EA churns out an update every year for every game but they have had some great updates over the years. NCAA Football continues to have the best dynasty mode in any game, and their new EA Big line is great for more arcade style games.

That said, Madden has no chance at all to be the highest selling game this year. Pokemon will be #1, but if you don't count handhelds it will be Halo or GTA4. Brawl will probably beat it too. Granted, these may depend a little on release dates, but Madden never outsells those games.

However, this year's Madden should be good since they have competition with the 2K legends game and they lost a lot of credibility last year by not adjusting very quickly to the next gen and leaving out features that the PS2 version had. I expect a solid Madden this year, although I never get it anyway. I favor NCAA Football, and we'll get a taste of where EA is at this year next month with that title.

Right, I don't like sports games that much. I have purchased only a few over the years. The problem is more that I like good games. If you have played International Superstar Soccer on the SNES or N64, you laugh at FIFA. ISS doesn't exist anymore, but there's PES now, also way better than FIFA.

NCAA is generally never released in europe, the only american football game I own is NFL quarterback club '98, which was the only football game in that year that had a full NFL license. I wouldn't say that it is a good game though.

Then again, EA makes more than just sports games. Racing games are one of my favourite genre, the problem is again that NfS is average, not good enough to justify a purchase. The rest of their lineup isn't top of the line either, the main problem is that they give their games always limited development times to release one game per year for each of their major franchises. The result are most of the time rather bad than good games.

EA as a company in general is bad. Instead of trying to make better games than their competitors they just buy exclusive rights for the major sports.

I hate how people won't buy something because they hate some company.  A lot of what you said about EA is true, but they do make some quality games.

I'd add Mercanaries 2 to the list, judging by how it looks...

Also, the NFL was selling the license, EA was just the company that bought it.  Yes, that sucks, but I like the college game better anyway.  As far as I know they don't have another exclusive license...at least the major sports. 

Sullla said:
Pokemon Diamond/Pearl will be the top-selling game of 2007, hands down. I didn't mention them because shams' poll specifically mentioned console games only. As far as comparing to the aforementioned Grand Theft Auto and Halo games... don't be so sure. Last year, the sales for Madden came to 6 million copies across all platforms (3.57 million for PS2, 1.67 million for 360, and about 350k for both Wii and PS3). Given that a lot of people have purchased new consoles, or will be purchasing new consoles this year, the sales could go up for this holiday season. (PS2 sales will be down, but the new systems should compensate.) Even if they remain the same, 6 million is an absolutely gigantic number for a single year. Don't underestimate how big it is. Yes, the last two Grand Theft Auto games both came close to 15 million in sales, and GTA4 will be a runaway hit this holiday season. But remember the install base for the PS2 was gigantic; people who wanted a copy of Vice City or San Andreas could go out and get a PS2 for $150 dollars to play the game. That's hardly the case right now, as the game is only coming out on the much more expensive "HD" consoles, plus the install base for 360 + PS3 is vastly lower. (Ironically, GTA4 would move many more copies if a version were being released for PS2!) Sales will still be very, very good - but not 15 million good. Halo 2 did 8 million sales, but that was over quite a few years, not a single holiday season. And again, the XBox was much cheaper (and had a larger install base) when it was released, compared to the position the 360 currently holds. Halo 3 will again move a ton of copies, but come nowhere close to 8 million. (Maybe over the system's lifespan, but certainly not this holiday season.) Since it's only being released on a single system, I doubt Halo 3 will sell as many copies as Madden this year, when you combine all four of its platforms together. Could obviously be wrong, but I don't see it happening. (I'm not saying Halo will be UNsuccessful, just that it won't reach the same heights.) Anyway, it will be a fun comparison. One reason that GTA/Halo have always sold well is that they successfully reached out past "hardcore" gamers and captured casuals, which drove up their sales (GTA especially). Given the much higher prices of 360/PS3 compared to the last generation, will the same be true for their latest incarnations? We'll see. But don't be surprised if Madden is closer than you think to these games, despite getting ZERO mention from the Internet message boards! :)

We'll see.  Madden has never sold as well has Halo and GTA have.  I don't think the install base will hurt, and it's the same proportions as it always is.  Just like I've said in previous threads about MGS and FF:  established franchises sell really well the first time they are released for a console.  FF7 and FFX are the 2 highest selling ever in that series, and the same goes for MGS1 and MGS2.  I think FF13, MGS4, GTA IV, and Halo 3 will approach the numbers of the predecesors.  The only one that has had bad press so far is Halo 3 for looking the same as Halo 2, so that one might drop a little.

But hey, we'll see.  Maybe Nintendo fans will decide to play a real sports game this year instead of mario and actually buy Madden in bigger numbers.  That's the only difference in the install base proportions.

That reminds me, when is Nintendo going to license out mario for some US football?  Apparently Square made a crappy basketball game, so that's a start.