By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - ThrowBack Article "Why the Ps2 will fail"

LordTheNightKnight said:
Chubear said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
rubido said:
I will have to agree with the URNotE. "That guy" was completely wrong. Next!

That was not what URN's point was. He presented one nut on a message board as "proof" the PS2 had the same GENERAL criticism as the PS3, which is a flat out lie.

See that's the problem; there will be more people like you in 2013 stating that the PS3 was the obvious winner and had no resistance what so ever and then use the same arguements used to discredit the PS3 on the PS4. In case you were too young to know, have/had amnesia or are just blatantly blind, the PS1&2 had their fair share of mud slung their way with the latter having even more crap thrown it's way.

It's been over 7 years but you can still find all the vial crap the media said about the PS2 then somewhere around the internet. The Newyork TIMES have always tried to bust Sony's butt and were awfull to the PS2. Here's an example from an article back then. See if you see any similarities http://archive.salon.com/tech/log/2000/10/27/playstation_rant/index.html

I didn't write that the criticism of the PS2 and PS3 were completely different. I wrote that they are not exactly the same. That link you put has a lot of differences as well as similarities.

One important difference is that the PS3 is being outsold by systems already out, not theoretically going to be outdone by systems a year later.

And again, criticism of the price was not widespread. The PS2 was mostly praised for offfering a DVD drive at no more than the price of the PS1 at its launch. The PS3 has as much criticism for its price as praise for the quality of the player. 

No it wasn't! Don't talk through your butt if you don't know what you're talking about cause I remember very well and the exact same talk about Blu-ray was said about the DVD feature in the PS2. As for those that say things like "you can't make a comparison. that was then this is now. No one knows what will happen" well I say this, the point is not to "know" the future but to have a decent idea of what could happen in the future cause having insight in any matter can save you problems with your investments. People & companies do this every day. It's what you use to try and protect yourself.

A lot of people aren't very good with patterns and can't seem to connect the dots because a different scenerio presents a slightly different look.. but the pattern is the same when you really look at it. People that can't see paterns in a consoles life period end up as casualties when these consoles fail. They were people who had no doubt that the 3D0, Jaguar, and Sega consoles were the way to go and got burnt only to buy the same console they had previously said was not up to their standards. People don't seem to learn quickly enough thus the reason they'll keep getting burnt by console makers that will fail.

Yes I know this forum is very nintedo heavy and any Sony fan is always a breath away from being banned but hey, this forum isn't one I hold highly anyway so if you chose to ban me for my views then that's jsut fine, I'll always call it as I see it and as I see it most people who own a wii or 360 will buy a PS3 in it's life time. The same can't be said of the other two especially the 360.

Around the Network
Chubear said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
Chubear said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
rubido said:

No it wasn't! Don't talk through your butt if you don't know what you're talking about cause I remember very well and the exact same talk about Blu-ray was said about the DVD feature in the PS2. As for those that say things like "you can't make a comparison. that was then this is now. No one knows what will happen" well I say this, the point is not to "know" the future but to have a decent idea of what could happen in the future cause having insight in any matter can save you problems with your investments. People & companies do this every day. It's what you use to try and protect yourself.

A lot of people aren't very good with patterns and can't seem to connect the dots because a different scenerio presents a slightly different look.. but the pattern is the same when you really look at it. People that can't see paterns in a consoles life period end up as casualties when these consoles fail. They were people who had no doubt that the 3D0, Jaguar, and Sega consoles were the way to go and got burnt only to buy the same console they had previously said was not up to their standards. People don't seem to learn quickly enough thus the reason they'll keep getting burnt by console makers that will fail.

Yes I know this forum is very nintedo heavy and any Sony fan is always a breath away from being banned but hey, this forum isn't one I hold highly anyway so if you chose to ban me for my views then that's jsut fine, I'll always call it as I see it and as I see it most people who own a wii or 360 will buy a PS3 in it's life time. The same can't be said of the other two especially the 360.

(trimmed, obviously)

I honestly don't really see *most* people with a wii buying a PS3.  The point of a 'blue ocean' strategy is to open up into a new market, to get people who haven't been involved before buying a system.  That's what the Wii is doing, and to those people the Playstation brand means nothing.  If they look at it and see a (post-several price reductions) $350 PS3, they are going to say "Why should I get this? I have my Wii already, and what's this controller? That looks awkward and confusing." 

Some of them might even try buying one, and be so used to the wiimote (pointing at the screen being the main part) and not like how the PS3 works.  Especially because by that time, wii games will probably have learned to use the pointing to about as good as it is going to get, and it's even possible that some sort of 2.0 version of the remote with better IR sensors or inertial dampening will be out, making the use of the remote even easier.  These people will not keep their PS3.  I mean, why spend that much money on a gaming machine if you can't even point at the screen and have it do what you want?

Sure, they might be tempted for a Blu-Ray player at some point... but at 'some point' standalones will be cheap.  There's always a certain value proposition to be considered with purchases, and the new part of the market is not the part of the market that buys expensive things for the sake of expensive things. 

Please, PLEASE do NOT feed the trolls.
fksumot tag: "Sheik had to become a man to be useful. Or less useful. Might depend if you're bi."

--Predictions--
1) WiiFit will outsell the pokemans.
  Current Status: 2009.01.10 70k till PKMN Yellow (Passed: Emerald, Crystal, FR/LG)

Chubear,

You're correct in saying that some people who used that type of argument against the PS2 are also using the exact same argument against the PS3; what you fail to realize is that (although it wasn't a a valid argument against the PS2) the argument seems valid against the PS3.

The PS2 was not an uncharacteristically highly priced console when compared to other consoles that had been released, it was the same price as the Playstation and (when you factored in inflation) was only a bit more expensive than consoles like the NES, SNES, and Genesis. The PS3 on the other hand is drastically higher in both absolute and relative prices as compared to most successful consoles:

Next people did question the value of DVD Playback being that (at the time) people didn't see much value in the format. When the PS2 was released DVD was a pretty mature format (3 years old), every major movie was released for it and every blockbuster was carying a wide selection of movies, people didn't need a new TV to take advantage of the format, the PS2 was an inexpensive player (you could buy a $150 VHS player, $300 PS2 with DVD or $350 to $500 DVD player) and Hollywood was producing good movies that looked amazing on DVD (Fifth Element, The Matrix, etc.). Blu-Ray is a brand new format that requires a new TV to take advantage of, will be a few years before Blockbuster caries a wide selection of movies, the PS3 is an expensive player being released in a time where people are used to paying $15 for a DVD player.

The last thing is sales ... The PS2 never had a slow period, it was one of the fastest selling consoles and it never gave up any ground to its competition. The PS3 isn't even in the same league of sales as its competition; its sales would have to double and the Wii's sales would need to be cut in half before this competition even gets close.

LordTheNightKnight said:

The price of the PS2 was a bunk complaint from the beginning. It launched at the same price as the PS1, so it wasn't too expensive. And most of us knew about the DVD player, so offering at the same price was like the player for free.

The PS3 obviously isn't the case.

i will repeat this once the ps2 DID NOT launch at the ps1 price the ps1 launched was $799 dollars to compete against the 3DO and CDI only after two years on the market did it hit the 300 mark. cause it wasnt selling that well at all. kinda like the ps3 the difference is between the two is the fact that the ps1 when hit 300 released FF7 so it took off this time around i see no dip in price that sudden cause of hardware costs. so if you wanna say "no the ps1 launched at $300 or $399" i will go get my 1994 buyers guid that has the price of the ps1 in it. thanks for playing

dick cheney loves me, he wants to take me hunting

mkwii code- 1977-0565-0049

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Playstation

The launch price in the American market was US$299.00,[4], a price point later used by its successor, the PlayStation 2.

Around the Network

hmmm, what is this thread about now? =)
that ps3 won`t repeat ps2 and psOne success? =))

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2007/06/13/a-quick-look-back-a-strong-push-forward/

In 1995, when we launched the PlayStation, the majority of the gamers were twelve to seventeen year old boys. 2D platform, fighting, racing, and sports games were the norm. Platforms were born and died within five years maximum. There was minimal difference between hardware platforms. We here at Sony championed 3D graphics, CD based technology and a more mature diverse library of games. We believed that our platform had a lifecycle that should survive well beyond the traditional five years. Some of the initial criticism we received was that the hardware was a bit pricey, the system was hard to develop for and the early software line-up needed some work. When we introduced PlayStation 2 in 2000 we received much of the same criticism. When we introduced DVD based storage we were told that CD had more than enough capacity to store game data. In a few short years DVD had all but replaced CD and that storage capacity was being squeezed by the development community. In 2006 the song remained much the same. Most of you know what transpired: 100 million PlayStations and thousands of great games later, the PlayStation had a ten year run and could still be selling today. PlayStation 2 left our original success in the dust and shows no signs of stopping anytime soon.

We fully realize that past success is no guarantee of future success, but it does give you some perspective. We have to bring the games to market that will showcase what the PS3 can do and ultimately entertain you like no other games have. We need to provide proof of what the PS3 can do for you and work tirelessly to improve the value and justify your investment. At the end of the day, it’s always been about the games. To push the boundaries of gaming beyond where they currently lie takes a great deal of risk. I think all the hardware manufacturers are doing that in some way. We could have easily produced PlayStation 2.5 at a slightly increased price over the older model, and driven some nice profits and marginal innovation for a few years but that’s not how we got where we are today. You have to gamble and make major investments in the present that will pay dividends in the future.

We’re working hard to put the best tools in the hands of the development community so they can take you places you never imagined possible. We have more than 15 games coming from our own internal studios alone this year for PS3. Our third party partners will weigh in with a host of great games giving us more than 100 titles by year end on that system alone. At our Gamer’s Day event a few weeks back, we announced 18 exclusive games for PSP. This year, PS2 owners will get a little something for everyone with games like Buzz! and Singstar. Oh, and you certainly can’t forget the PlayStation Network. Right now, we are working on a slew of games and game packs that will be offered through the PlayStation Store in the coming months, including Warhawk, which personally speaking, is the PS3 game I’ve been playing most lately.
Weak launch - DONE.
Some inovations(blu-ray/cell) - DONE.
High Price - DONE.
Big criticism from media - DONE.
To sell over 100 mln. PS3 - IN PROGRESS.

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

CrazyMan, since the Playstation is the same as the PS3 what system outsold the Playstation 5 to 1 on a weekly basis worldwide and gained a 5 to 10 Million unit lead?

HappySqurriel said:

CrazyMan, since the Playstation is the same as the PS3 what system outsold the Playstation 5 to 1 on a weekly basis worldwide and gained a 5 to 10 Million unit lead?

and how this effects on success of playstation™ console ?
i mean, why ps3 can`t sell to 100 mln. gamers?
or if Wii will sell over 130 mln., and ps3 only over 110 mln. it won`t be a success for sony? =))

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

CrazzyMan said:
HappySqurriel said:

and how this effects on success of playstation™ console ?
i mean, why ps3 can`t sell to 100 mln. gamers?
or if Wii will sell over 130 mln., and ps3 only over 110 mln. it won`t be a success for sony? =))

Maybe you missed my point ...

The Playstation's competition was the Saturn which sold as poorly as the Playstation at launch because Sega had alienated gamers, and the N64 which was 18 months late to the generation and Nintendo had successfully alienated third party developers. For no period of time was the Playstation ever outsold by any console ...

The PS3 is being outsold by both the Wii and the XBox 360 ...

With how the PS3 is selling it is quite clear that it will (probably) sell worse than the Gamecube in its life; it is about time you came to understand this.

Wii - is a different audience, so it doesn`t matter how much it will be sold, maybe some developers will make more games for it, but those games will be less hardcore and not like MGS, FF, GT, RE, SH.
Wii is not a competitor for ps3, it`s more like ADD ON to it.

x360? only 6,5 mln. outsell. That`s is nothing in 120 mln. gamers base. When gears of war came, there was only ~3 mln. of x360 sold in USA. And that game got sold over 4 mln. in next several month.
PS3 already 1,5 mln. sold in USA, by november it probably will be around 3 mln. too.

With how the PS3 is selling it is quite clear that it will (probably) sell worse than the Gamecube in its life; it is about time you came to understand this.

Unfortunately, you can`t prove that.
To my opinion, PS3 is a must have console.
It`s not like noone wants ps3? PS3 games are in most wanted list by famitsu. PS3 is one of most wanted hardwae on different sites.
Price will drop with time.

Some gamers will choice high failure rate having x360 for now, and then buy ps3, other will chose ps3.
Why? because very soon multiplatfomr games will look a lot better on PS3, developers already getting better with ps3 (Oblivion and Haze are nice examples). And some games, wich graphically own all what x360 can offer are comming in near year. =)