By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - System RAM in PS3 and XBox 360 is like half a GB

They can not play games that require system 2GB RAM to run like Never Winter Nights 2, some other PC games which require more system RAM.  Imagine if PS3 and XBox 360 system RAM and graphics cards could be upgraded? That would be awesome, hey. Not just have to rely on a stock console for 6 or 7 years that can not be upgraded much at all. PS3 you can upgrade the HDD for storing downloads and game data but that is not a big deal.

^Discuss people.

Around the Network

Actually, the thread title is wrong. On the PS3, system RAM is 256 MB (the other 256 MB are graphical memory). On the 360, there's no distinction between graphical/system memory, it's just a total of 512 MB to be divided as developers prefer.

However, PC's operating systems take up much more memory than console's operating systems. While you are correct that most modern PCs have more memory available for games than consoles do, the difference is not as big as it seems.

Regarding upgrades, it doesn't make sense to have upgradable memory on consoles. Developers have to target the least common denominator, otherwise not everyone will be able to play their games. That is unless you want console gaming to become even more like PC gaming than it already is on the PS3 (installations, patches, OS updates, hard drive upgrades...).

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

^So we can see a Never Winter Nights game on consoles?

http://www.atari.com/us/games/neverwinter_nights_2_gold/dvd_rom

According to this, it doesn't even need 2 GB on PC, just 512 MB (1 GB recommended).

Expect the difference in RAM to get bigger as the PC gets more and more upgrades. Just goes to show that PCs will always be superior to consoles.

PSN- williwod

Remember, there are no stupid questions. Just stupid people- Mr Garrison

Around the Network

@ NJ5

Actually, the thread title is wrong. On the PS3, system RAM is 256 MB (the other 256 MB are graphical memory). On the 360, there's no distinction between graphical/system memory, it's just a total of 512 MB to be divided as developers prefer.

Like on the PC, the PS3 setup is much better (twice the bandwidth). Of course should be noted both types of memory can be accessed by both the GPU and CPU.

The PS3's fast XDR Ram has very low latency which is very important to CPUs, especially for the Cell processor. Potentially if needed the GPU can access both types of RAM simultaneously, latency isn't much of an issue for GPUs (the RSX also has relatively large cache) and such an approach would significantly add bandwidth which is more important.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

4GB system RAM and over PC's with multiple high speed processors with two top of the range graphics cards. Consoles would not stand a chance against a $2000 and above PC.

I wonder what price PC would be on par with a X360 and PS3 in regards to technical specs and processing capabilities?

X360 = $400 PC
PS3 = $600 PC

^My guesses assuming you build the gaming PC yourself

MikeB said:
@ NJ5

Like on the PC, the PS3 setup is much better (twice the bandwidth). Of course should be noted both types of memory can be accessed by both the GPU and CPU.

The PS3's fast XDR Ram has very low latency which is very important to CPUs, especially for the Cell processor. Potentially if needed the GPU can access both types of RAM simultaneously, latency isn't much of an issue for GPUs (the RSX also has relatively large cache) and such an approach would significantly add bandwidth which is more important.

Mother of God.

Its happening again.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

MikeB said:
@ NJ5

That's totally off-topic.

Rock_on_2008 said:

4GB system RAM and over PC's with multiple high speed processors with two top of the range graphics cards. Consoles would not stand a chance against a $2000 and above PC. I wonder what price PC would be on par with a X360 and PS3 in regards to technical specs and processing capabilities?

X360 = $400 PC
PS3 = $600 PC

^My guesses assuming you build the gaming PC yourself

As of April, you can build a $500 PC which runs Crysis on high settings @ 1024x768, 37.1 fps:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/cpu-graphic-game,1907-4.html