By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sony Pictures making Metal Gear movie!

At the Electronic Entertainment Expo last year, Konami revealed that work had begun on a live-action movie based on Metal Gear Solid. The news broke via a pamphlet for Studio Kojima, the Konami-owned development house headed up by Metal Gear series creator Hideo Kojima. "I have received many offers to adapt Metal Gear Solid. It has taken a long time, but we have finally settled on an arrangement," Kojima said in a statement. "False facts aside, a movie project is underway. I have finalized a Class-A contract with a party in Hollywood." For eight months, the identity of the aforementioned "party" was unknown. That changed this week, when Sony Pictures Entertainment vice chairman Yair Landau revealed his studio is developing the project. "We're working with the Metal Gear guys," Landau told GameSpot following his D.I.C.E. Summit keynote in Las Vegas. "It's a very cinematic game, it really lends itself to movie-telling. But the question is, 'How do you translate Snake's experience into a full arc that conforms to what audiences expect on the large screen?'" Landau also hinted the Metal Gear Solid movie may just be the beginning. "There are other games we are looking to develop," the executive said. "We're working with one of my favorite producers right now on an idea for an EverQuest movie." The producer was apparently of such stature that Landau declined to name him. "I'll let him disclose that," he said cryptically. Besides the forthcoming World of Warcraft film, currently in development at Warner Bros., the Metal Gear Solid movie is the highest-profile game-film project in Hollywood. Previously, that that stature was held by the Peter-Jackson-produced Halo adaptation, which imploded last year.

Around the Network

Kojima is very bright so he might actually pull off a decent movie, although movies work totally different than games. For example, in movies information about bad guys near a corner add suspense, but in games the information lessens the suspense. What I'd like to see is a trippy Mario movie. A plumber eats mushrooms and smokes a wii bit too much weed, goes to puke in a toilet, finds himself in the mushroom kingdom etc, a traditional story.