By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Trading a 40 gig for a 20 gig

If you don't need the wi-fi, its a smart move. The wi-fi sucks anyway. Its only wireless-g. I have a gigabit gaming router so I just use the gigabit ethernet port---its much more reliable anyway.

To cut the long story short, if you're interested in ps2/ps1 classics, switch for the 20gb and buy a cheap 250gb HDD.

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

Around the Network

nah,i wouldn't recommend trading it...the built-in wi-fi is absent from 20gb ps3s
(u wouldn't be able to play online games or surf the internet with the 20gb ps3)

Pristine20 said:
If you don't need the wi-fi, its a smart move. The wi-fi sucks anyway. Its only wireless-g. I have a gigabit gaming router so I just use the gigabit ethernet port---its much more reliable anyway.

To cut the long story short, if you're interested in ps2/ps1 classics, switch for the 20gb and buy a cheap 250gb HDD.

Yeah, this looks like its going to work the best. I got a router in my room so i'll get a wired connection going. Hell I already have one going to the 360 so...

DMeisterJ said:
disolitude said:
Leetgeek said:
NAh it's a smart move and you can swap the HD later right?

Thats what I was thinking.

I have an old 40 gig hard drive lying around from my RCA lyra mp3 player. So i can pop that in and it will be all gain no pain. :)

No wi-fi though.

Real gamers go with a wired connection anway man.

Unless you like... HATE how cables look I can't see why you'd want to use Wi-Fi.

disolitude said:
no Wi-Fi...Crap. Is there an adapter?

There is no adapter per se, but unless I am wrong, you can set up a second wifi router (with DHCP disabled) to act as a switch which would communicate with your internet connected wifi router. You then run ethernet cables from the second router to your PS3, wii and 360 if you want.

Around the Network
Kasz216 said:
DMeisterJ said:
disolitude said:
Leetgeek said:
NAh it's a smart move and you can swap the HD later right?

Thats what I was thinking.

I have an old 40 gig hard drive lying around from my RCA lyra mp3 player. So i can pop that in and it will be all gain no pain. :)

No wi-fi though.

Real gamers go with a wired connection anway man.

Unless you like... HATE how cables look I can't see why you'd want to use Wi-Fi.

lol...yeah if my IP was dropped or something similar durring a halo 3 match on a wireless connection id blame the wireless router...and probably murder someone after.

I didn't really use ps3 for much online gaming yet but with 2.40 I think is time to go wired.

Also its probably out of warranty so you're taking a risk with an earlier revision console. Why not just buy a PS2 if you need BC?

Dogs Rule said:
disolitude said:
no Wi-Fi...Crap. Is there an adapter?

There is no adapter per se, but unless I am wrong, you can set up a second wifi router (with DHCP disabled) to act as a switch which would communicate with your internet connected wifi router. You then run ethernet cables from the second router to your PS3, wii and 360 if you want.

Yeah I already have this going for 360 and PC. looks like wii is the only wireless badboy left in my household.

RipOff said:
Also its probably out of warranty so you're taking a risk with an earlier revision console. Why not just buy a PS2 if you need BC?

I would and im currently not pressed for money so I could. But its kinda neat to have all things together in a package. Im aware of the warranty issue and yeah, his expired few months back.

People say these ps3's are strong like bull, no? :)

You'd be a sucker not to trade.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyLhpUPNPIs

360 IS OPERATIONAL AFTER 37 DAYS!