By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3 backwards compatibility,

I'm pissed because I wanted an 80 gig and they guy I ordered it from sent me a 40 gig and I was too lazy to bring it back. Yarr. But it's all good I have too many games as it is currently playing: GTA4, MGS4, Oblivion, Ratchet n Clank, gears of war n Crysis. Oh and Gamefly is sending uncharted no wonder my gf is pissed.

Think I'll just cop a Ps2 for $50 and put it in the bedroom.

I thought I heard some ish about a firmware update so you can play ps2 games on the 40 gig? I know it doesn't have the emotion engine. Anyone got info on this? Save me the $50?

Around the Network
Leetgeek said:
I'm pissed because I wanted an 80 gig and they guy I ordered it from sent me a 40 gig and I was too lazy to bring it back. Yarr. But it's all good I have too many games as it is currently playing: GTA4, MGS4, Oblivion, Ratchet n Clank, gears of war n Crysis. Oh and Gamefly is sending uncharted no wonder my gf is pissed.

Think I'll just cop a Ps2 for $50 and put it in the bedroom.

I thought I heard some ish about a firmware update so you can play ps2 games on the 40 gig? I know it doesn't have the emotion engine. Anyone got info on this? Save me the $50?

That is only rumors, wishful thinking and hope until Sony announces it. And hopefully they will only announce it when it is ready and tested. :)

Where did you get hired, and what's your position? I feel like I'm missing something here...congrats though!

Valkyria00 said:
Aj_habfan said:
I wouldn't say FULL, but 80GB does play the majority of games, as more obscure games might not be playable.

40GB can't play any PS2 games, 60GB and 20GB are discontinued, but they both can play all PS2 games.

Wait.....so 80GB doesnt play all but the discontinued 60GB and 20GB play ALL of them. Hm? I guess.

Im getting the 80GB then I guess....

yes the 60/20GB PS3's have both the GPU and CPU from the PS2 and operate every PS2 game because there's essentially a PS2 inside it.
the 80GB has I believe a GPU and software emulation to mimic the CPU(don't quote me) it's hard to say how much it plays but it plays every PS1 game and about 80% of the PS2 games initially by now probably 90%+(seemingly more with updates.)
The 40GB has no backwards compatibility to the PS2 but plays PS1 games I believe

tombi123 said:
You come from the USA, so get the 80GB MGS4 bundle. It comes with a Dualshock 3 controller and the most awesome game this year. The 80GB is pretty much fully BC.

Does a regular 80GB come with dualshock 3.

Around the Network
makingmusic476 said:
Valkyria00 said:
Aj_habfan said:
I wouldn't say FULL, but 80GB does play the majority of games, as more obscure games might not be playable.

40GB can't play any PS2 games, 60GB and 20GB are discontinued, but they both can play all PS2 games.

Wait.....so 80GB doesnt play all but the discontinued 60GB and 20GB play ALL of them. Hm? I guess.

The 80gb plays about 85% of all games flawlessy.  The other 15% may have bugs and other problems.

Ok thanks,

wfz said:
Where did you get hired, and what's your position? I feel like I'm missing something here...congrats though!

Lol I got hired at Meritz reseach company...some shit like that. Its kinda like telamarketer work. I call houses and give them surveys about quality of whatever the hell they bought.....something like that. Thanks again.

souixan said:
Valkyria00 said:
Aj_habfan said:

yes the 60/20GB PS3's have both the GPU and CPU from the PS2 and operate every PS2 game because there's essentially a PS2 inside it.
the 80GB has I believe a GPU and software emulation to mimic the CPU(don't quote me) it's hard to say how much it plays but it plays every PS1 game and about 80% of the PS2 games initially by now probably 90%+(seemingly more with updates.)
The 40GB has no backwards compatibility to the PS2 but plays PS1 games I believe

Ok beset analysis of the systems BC. Im getting 80GB then.

I dont like Ratchet and Clank so im fine with that.

Valkyria00 said:
wfz said:

Lol I got hired at Meritz reseach company...some shit like that. Its kinda like telamarketer work. I call houses and give them surveys about quality of whatever the hell they bought.....something like that. Thanks again.

i was gonna say congrads. BUT if your one of the PRICKS that call me when im eatting dinner, im gonna stab you