By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Is Nintendo the Only Company in Gaming that Knows How to Find Blue Oceans?

FishyJoe said:
I could see Sony screwing up the business badly just like they did with personal audio. Walkman was THE de facto brand when it came to personal audio prior to the iPod. Apple was a nobody in the business and Sony was god. But in the span of a couple years, Sony's missteps and Apple's brilliance completely flipped things around. Now Sony is a non-factor and Apple owns the business.

This should be a good lesson that no business is invulnerable.

Sony has never been good at adapting to change

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Around the Network
HappySqurriel said:
ckmlb said:

Sony and MS are going nowhere... if this ends up a Nintendo only business and I have to deal with 99.99999% of games being mini games I will quit gaming completely and that ain't happening.

Just cause Sony loses this generation it's not suddenly gonna quit this business jeez.

What, you expect every developer to go out of buisness or something?

I expect develipers to keep making crappy mini game collections like they are doing and hinting at on the Wii if Nintendo is the only console around.

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

Avinash_Tyagi said:
FishyJoe said:

I know, it's weird how they are a multibillion dollar company though... go figure.

ckmlb said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
FishyJoe said:

I know, it's weird how they are a multibillion dollar company though... go figure.

I assume you're simply being sarcastic, Ck (if not, lemme know). I actually think they've been great at adapting to change. Nintendo certainly does know how to innovate, but Sony has picked up on Nintendo's strongest points very quickly (they adapted to the re-introduction of the Analog stick, the Rumble Pack, and the Wii mote within months) and also to other's strong points -- Sony is way ahead of Nintendo at getting online, which I think most of us can agree is a feather in their cap. Sony may not be the best at finding new and innovative products/ideas/content, but they're usually quick to recognize once that new product/idea has been found. 

By contrast, Nintendo has stubbornly stuck with losing ideas on several occassions. The "no internet" thing didn't cost them severely, as they appear to be wising up, but they took much longer than any other major hardware company to catch on. Nintendo stuck with cartridges even when it was clear it was a poor choice right out of the gate. When Nintendo forges their own way and succeeds, it's great. When they forge their own way and flop on their faces, it looks a lot less noble. 

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

ckmlb said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
FishyJoe said:

Losing a lot of money on the PS3 ;)

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Around the Network
Bodhesatva said:
ckmlb said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
FishyJoe said:

I assume you're simply being sarcastic, Ck (if not, lemme know). I actually think they've been great at adapting to change. Nintendo certainly does know how to innovate, but Sony has picked up on Nintendo's strongest points very quickly (they adapted to the re-introduction of the Analog stick, the Rumble Pack, and the Wii mote within months) and also to other's strong points -- Sony is way ahead of Nintendo at getting online, which I think most of us can agree is a feather in their cap. Sony may not be the best at finding new and innovative products/ideas/content, but they're usually quick to recognize once that new product/idea has been found. 

By contrast, Nintendo has stubbornly stuck with losing ideas on several occassions. The "no internet" thing didn't cost them severely, as they appear to be wising up, but they took much longer than any other major hardware company to catch on. Nintendo stuck with cartridges even when it was clear it was a poor choice right out of the gate. When Nintendo forges their own way and succeeds, it's great. When they forge their own way and flop on their faces, it looks a lot less noble. 

Their response to the Wiimote was of a pathetic quality which was easily seen

as an attempted ripoff and their response to the Ipod and the DS has flopped 

as anything more than a way to play ROMS

ckmlb said:
DoesWhatNintenDont said:
Often it proves true that those who have had a history of success on some level of regularity, often tend to just continue to use the same things that have reaped successful for them-- just more aggressively.

I think one can see these paterns in time with the likes of Nintendo, the 64 being the real example in their case, and the PS3 more or less shaping up for that of Sony.

I think all of the companies pine after the Blue Oceans, but at Don says, getting there is the problem.

Unless Sony can pump some profit out of the PS3, which is looking less and less likely, I generally am worried that Sony's investors might raise the white flag for their gaming department if things go bad enough this round. Sony has already burned up their minimal profits, considering PS2's dominance and sales, already with their investments in PS3! Sony's best chance for blue ocean's is obviously with PS4.

I think M$ is in a similar boat. They are so far in the red at this point, that their only real hope for blue ocean's is their Next-Box. Sadly, they too might be forced out of contention due to staggering debts if they don't learn how to turn a profit soon.

Sony and MS are going nowhere... if this ends up a Nintendo only business and I have to deal with 99.99999% of games being mini games I will quit gaming completely and that ain't happening.

Just cause Sony loses this generation it's not suddenly gonna quit this business jeez. 

Hey Mate, Firstly I should explain that I don't want ONLY Nintendo around.

But let's be frank, this is a business venture for both MS and Sony. I think anyone with a brain knows that those giants are not in the gaming industry specifically for gaming-- their "profit" margins with in their entire gaming devisions prove this--

Also it should be worth noting that at least in America, the way that the laws have developed from the second industrial revolution and beyond, a company is legally forced to make money.

I'm not looking at this from a gaming point of view. I'm looking at this from a business perspective. There is only so much loss that shareholders will take. Sure MS and Sony have some nice annual profits as companies as a whole, but to increase those profits eventually the fat needs to get trimmed.

Don't be a fool and think that both companies are interested in staying in the red simply because gamers find them "cool."

Sometimes I wish "gamers" would take an econ. class...*sigh*

"There are three types of lies : Lies, damned lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli ( Made famous by Mark Twain )

PSN ID: DeviantPathways

Wii Number: 0081 3044 1559 2355

Avinash_Tyagi said:
Bodhesatva said:
ckmlb said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
FishyJoe said:

Their response to the Wiimote was of a pathetic quality which was easily seen

as an attempted ripoff and their response to the Ipod and the DS has flopped

as anything more than a way to play ROMS

Oh, I'm not saying they didn't rip Nintendo off. They obviously did. I'm just saying they did it quickly. By contrast, Nintendo probably would have gone ahead on schedule with their own system and not payed any attention to the wonderful things happening over in Sony land.

"Adapting quickly" is a nice way of saying "you steal other people's ideas very quickly." You can make fun of Sony for that, but it means they know a good idea when they see it, and they know how to quickly convert it for use in their own products. 

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

Bodhesatva said:
ckmlb said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
FishyJoe said:

I assume you're simply being sarcastic, Ck (if not, lemme know).

It was sarcasm because what the other guy said was just fanboy bashing of Sony. Yeah it really sucks how they didn't adapt to CDs with the PS1 or adapting by making the PS2 a DVD player...

ckmlb said:
Bodhesatva said:
ckmlb said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
FishyJoe said:

I assume you're simply being sarcastic, Ck (if not, lemme know).

It was sarcasm because what the other guy said was just fanboy bashing of Sony. Yeah it really sucks how they didn't adopt to CDs with the PS1 or adopting to making the PS2 a DVD player...

Or how well they've adopted online play (compared to Nintendo, as MS really had a head start coming from the PC background), how quickly they integrated Analog/Rumble into their controllers, among others.

I actually think Sony is much better at adaptation than Nintendo is.