By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Next-Gen Cheat Devices---Where are they?

I know what your thinking yeah, yeah your too cool for cheating and you beat all your games the right way. So first off I'll say I love these things for 3 reasons:

1. They add replay to games I have beat(the right way) already, by letting me play a more carefree way(that'd be guns blazing with infinite ammo).
  2. They allow me to past roadblocks. As a guy with a full time job, wife and 2 kids, I just don't have countless hours to master the one diffuclt level I'll get stuck on, so if there is a way to skip that part, and get the chance to enjoy the rest of the game that I paid for then I'm doing it. There is nothing more annoying then shelving a game because there is a stupid part I can't pass after trying 30 times.
  3.  Last but not least, there are so-so games I rent that I'll never beat in 4-5 days of playing, and I really have no desire to bother beating this game. So why not cheat and zip through the game just to see what's there.

Now that I've justifyed my gaming sins let me get to the question at hand: Where are they? I love my codebreaker for the PS2 but the Wi/ps3/360 are all void of cheat devices with seemingly nothing on the horizon. I know it's still early but the 360 has been on the market now for more then 18 months, and I'd kill to have 20-30 dollar disc that'd get me some sweet cheats. I'm tired of avoiding games because they've been described as "really hard."

Around the Network

I purposely pick up a game if it's described as "really hard" or "impossible."

I don't really cheat anymore...I'm guessing most people don't. But I admit it can be fun.

I just found out about the infinite bullets glitch on the Super Scope Gun in Super Smash Bros Melee. Oh man, I went almost a whole game with the same Super Scope Gun, with infinite bullets hehe.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

BenKenobi88 said:

I don't really cheat anymore...I'm guessing most people don't. But I admit it can be fun.

I just found out about the infinite bullets glitch on the Super Scope Gun in Super Smash Bros Melee. Oh man, I went almost a whole game with the same Super Scope Gun, with infinite bullets hehe.

I guess you'll be picking up Odin Sphere?

I don't mind trying to beat it on my own, recently I've beat Zelda:TP and Godfather on the Wii and Bully on the ps2, and Pokemon Diamond all without cheating (they really weren't too hard.). But I've been playing Just Cause on the 360 and if there was a cheat to unlock vehicles I'd take it because I can't stand how far away missions are. Also I find Spiderman 3 too hard, and since it's not that good of a game it's not worth the time and energy, I'd just like to cheat and play through it.

Anyway any time I hear of a game described as super hard I just picture myself waisting hour of precious game time on the same level and eventually tossing the controler across the room. I don't have to beat the game through without ever losing a mission, but I'd more or less like to feel like I could lose the mission but actually not lose, or at least not lose more then per say 5 times. Or let me put it this way, if I play that scene 10-15 times and I don't feel like I'm even coming close to beating it, then I'm pissed. I think I'm not motivated by the challenge because I prefer secular challenges, I've wrote a book, take guitar lessons, and draw, those are the challenges I like, when it comes to games I'd prefer the reward come easy. This is precisouly why more games need difficulty settings to appease gamers like you and me.

BenKenobi88 said:

Go pick up Odin Sphere now.

I'm just going to bump this once hoped there'd be more response on cheat devices. Actually I was hoping someone heard something.

Around the Network

Odin Sphere isn't that difficult, you just have to approach things a little differently than you're used to

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

fooflexible

You aren't going to see cheating devices on the 360. These devices tend to work by poking around bits in memory while the game is running. That's fine for single player games, but there is nothing to stop the same prodding when you are online.

So these devices make it possible to cheat in online games basically destroying the online community. Just look at what happened to Socom on Ps2 it was hacked with these devices just hours after it launched.

Additionally with the 360, cheat devices would mess with value of achievement points as people would find how to hack those. I'm afraid you are stuck with gamefaqs.

I oppose cheating to beat a game, but I think it is alright to use in RPGs for story purposes. Watching FF7 story in 2-3 hours is better than playing 40 hours just to get all the info.

Satan said:

"You are for ever angry, all you care about is intelligence, but I repeat again that I would give away all this superstellar life, all the ranks and honours, simply to be transformed into the soul of a merchant's wife weighing eighteen stone and set candles at God's shrine."

Meathands said:
fooflexible

You aren't going to see cheating devices on the 360. These devices tend to work by poking around bits in memory while the game is running. That's fine for single player games, but there is nothing to stop the same prodding when you are online.

So these devices make it possible to cheat in online games basically destroying the online community. Just look at what happened to Socom on Ps2 it was hacked with these devices just hours after it launched.

Additionally with the 360, cheat devices would mess with value of achievement points as people would find how to hack those. I'm afraid you are stuck with gamefaqs.

Your reasons are why you don't think they should make one but they don't wait on MS to authorize it. Codebreakers for the ps2 isn't authorized. Secondly everyone is already cheating acheivments Xport xploder all these devices that allow you to download game saves you can easily download a save where someone has full acheivements and when you put it on your machine it'll unlock all acheivements so it's pointless to protect that. besides it's not like acheivements translate to money or anything, half of the acheievements aren't even acheivements in their own right. Guitar Hero 2 gives you one for losing a song in easy mode, another for playing one song lefty(which I am, so I got that automatically) TMNT had tons of stupid easy ones. They are treated as a worthless number that is only significant to the person who scored it. (so if you cheat you don't care about it) In fact there are games like 2K7 that allow you to set your own difficulty to insanely cheap levels by doing this you can cheat within the game by the games own design to get acheivements.

As far as using cheats on online services I totally agree, I don't think they should be used there, and I think in MS Live they should come up with a way to prevent that. But honestly I'm personally never online, and I'd get way more from a cheat device then a clean online gameplay. Besides when I have gone online I've only played with actual friends of mine, seriously nothing is fun on there with a bunch of total strangers, it's worse then playing against the computer, in my opinion anyway. I think MS should approach Gameshark and company and allow them to make a device only if they create a resriction against use online. That is the only way that's going to get resolved. Otherwise they'll make it without restriction and MS will have to jump through hoops to police it through LIVE.

Just remember that cheating in a game is like paying for sex. No matter how good it is you can not brag about it to your friends.

Satan said:

"You are for ever angry, all you care about is intelligence, but I repeat again that I would give away all this superstellar life, all the ranks and honours, simply to be transformed into the soul of a merchant's wife weighing eighteen stone and set candles at God's shrine."