By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Firmware 2.4 question, how did the update go for you?

So there are like 5 games that support this stuff as of now? Well, at least they are trying.

Around the Network
senatorpjt said:
The 2.4 update has been pulled, it won't show up in system update. You can get it from http://www.megaupload.com/?d=9D6NE8HK if you really want it, but there must be real problems with it.

Some media reported mass failures, better safe than sorry I think in both cases for the consumer as well as for Sony. I like most others updated because we didn't hear about it from the media, else I myself would have waited with performing the update. I got to know about these reports from a vivid 360 fan (irony) who pointed these reports out to people on several fora.

So far it seems to be a storm in a glass of water though, the alledged issues could have been caused by turning off the console while performing the update (or may happen in very small quatities for some yet unknown reason), I read if that's the case then likely the harddrive needs to be re-formated just like if something goes wrong with your PC harddrive (like harddrive bootblock issues or repetitive Windows failures).

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

As long as the update completes successfully it will not brick your machine. As with any firmware upgrade, there is no roll back option if it fails. If there is any issue it is with the firmware update process not the firmware itself. They have noted this on the playstation log.

Thanks for the input, Jeff.

It works great on my 40GB which I tested thoroughly by heckling my MLB the show opponent with messages about how good my Ichiro is. I ended up loosing in part because of some of the in-game messaging I was doing was distracting me. The novelty will wear off. :)

It installed perfectly on my 60GB also and works.

Don't know how widespread the issue is, but the story made the front page of Google News this morning. Let's see what Sony's PR guys have as a response.

Around the Network

Here is the link from Google News

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2324604,00.asp

Worked fine for me and everyone I know

I didn't experience any problems during or after the update yesterday. I downloaded the new update and then played Super Stardust HD directly afterwards and this morning, I spent some time in MGS4 and it was okay.

Everything is working perfectly fine for me.

Ugh double post

Consoles Owned: Sega Genesis, NES, PS2 (RIP) N64, Xbox, Xbox 360, PS3, Wii

"In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties, nations, and epochs it is rule."

~ Friedrich Nietzsche