By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - What is wrong with Xbox360 sales in NAmerica

hi all,

I thought gap between PS3 - Xbox360 consoles was really important  as you can see here :

from VGC, addition of weekly sales of May :

Xbox360 : 241 000

PS3 : 84 000 (3 fold difference)

But If I refer to this (good/no-biased) french site (stats from NPD i think) :

Xbox360 : 156 000

PS3 : 81 000 (2 fold)

http://www.gamekult.com/articles/A0000058546/ 

And I saw in the commentary that I was not the only one to wonder about sales comparaison between NPD and VGC.

What is the problem about Xbox360 sales ?

I thought the only problem was PAL sales but it seems that there are some problems to report sales from NA ? 

Just a question to better understand these type of sales report.

Time to Work !

Around the Network

NPD is wrong trust me =)

Neos - "If I'm posting in this thread it's just for the lulz."
Tag by the one and only Fkusumot!

No good games came out in May for ps3, but 360 got several games and it still managed to decline? Perhaps the Elite effect is gone now.

all depend of "who you believe"

NPD ? or VGC ?

whatever, both show how nintendo is currently out running eveybody ;)

Time to Work !

NDP is right.

Vg was just really of for 360 this month.

Around the Network

There is an upper limit on the number of people who are willing to pay (much) more than $200 for a videogame system. The XBox 360 launched for $100 more than most successful systems and has been out for 18 months without a price drop; we're hitting a point where anyone who was willing to spend $400 on an XBox 360 owns it.

HappySqurriel said:

There is an upper limit on the number of people who are willing to pay (much) more than $200 for a videogame system. The XBox 360 launched for $100 more than most successful systems and has been out for 18 months without a price drop; we're hitting a point where anyone who was willing to spend $400 on an XBox 360 owns it.

It would seem so. Also, the bigger question is: did the majority of Halo fans buy a 360 already? This is very much in the air right now and could determine the future of the 360 big time in the coming holiday season.

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

VGCharts was off - whomever (and I assume EB/GS) they get their sales information from wasn't the front-line businesses that dropped sales the most for the 360.

Ultimately, the first place that sales are going to suffer for the 360 are going to be your major-market retailers and uber-chains such as Meijer, K-Mart, WalMart, Sears, Target, and such. These places are going to sell far more units due to price drops than EB/GS, Play-N-Trade, Circuit City and Best Buy, because in the former, people will casually buy large volumes of systems if the price is right - and will react far quicker to a price drop (see PSP sales, which are just as significant as the 360 being off), than EB/GS, as people going to the 2nd tier of specialty stores are more often decided to buy electronics equipment there.

Now, for the next question: why is the 360 selling so bad? Same reason the PS3 is. Price. That's litterally the only reason the 360 isn't selling. If MS decided they actually wanted to compete with the Wii, and dropped the price, the 360 would of easily cleared 250k h/w units this month, if not more. But since it's M$, the company many love to hate, they are greedy morons that don't want to win. Which is suprising, because MS loves to win.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

mrstickball said:
But since it's M$, the company many love to hate, they are greedy morons that don't want to win. Which is suprising, because MS loves to win.

It's because they don't think the can win agaisnt the Wii right now, they are focusing on the PS3. In the long run we'll see what happens. Also they are barely making a profit off 360s now, give them some time we don't want Xbox 1 all over again...

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

...Atleast the Xbox sold 3x the systems after the May pricedrop :)

Systems sold to consumers = software money for MS. 1 billion pieces of PS2 software sold @ $5 profit to Sony doesn't lie.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.