By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - The next Metal Gear game should feature.................

WTF? My original post had paragraphs, and such. I tried to edit it twice, and it's still just one big mess! Oh well......

^^^Also, I shot a buffalo. Sorry.

Around the Network
wfz said:
DTG said:
Why should there be another one? Why do gamers expect VG franchises to go on forever while only very few movie and book franchises go on endlessly. It's a ridiculous double standard.

I'm going out on a limb and saying that's because Kojima himself said Metal Gear will "always be around", if I remember correctly.

I realize that but why do fans and developers keep pushing for sequels on sequels on sequels on end? There are only very few comparable cases among movies like that, even those never reaching the number of sequels some game franchises spawn. Game publishers just haven't seemed to grasp the simple concept novelists and film makers have long understood; You need to let things DIE.

SamuelRSmith said:
a game.

Snootch to the nootch!

Maybe you're right, DTG. MGS is my favorite series, and I'd hate to see it "jump the shark". I don't want to see it forgotten, or outdone by some non-deserving upstart franchise, either.

I guess I'm selfish. Still, you got to admit, there's a lot of unexplored territory left. As long as there's no MGS Kart with super deformed Ocelots, I hope they make another.

I would like to see another MGS game about Raiden saving Sunny from the Patriots. Possibly going into his capture and subsequent rescue by Big Mama. That's the only idea that makes sense at this point. Everything else has been accounted for. And you can't be serious about playing as Liquid Snake or Johnny/Akiba.

Around the Network
DTG said:
Why should there be another one? Why do gamers expect VG franchises to go on forever while only very few movie and book franchises go on endlessly. It's a ridiculous double standard.

The movie industry is hounded with remakes many of which are unnecessary. However to answer your question these franchises go one "Forever" for several reasons.

1. Technical advancements in controls or graphics allow for updates that update games for more then most movies(yes the movie industry has seen a drastic rise in Special effects and before that color and before that Black and White from a technical stand point but compare that with video games and it sin't inthe same ball park)

2. Videogames started out a niche market and a game purchase is riskier than a movie purchase so franchises equal brandname which makes it easier for people to buy a MGS and Mario and God of War since while they may be different they offer a realm of familiarity to ease you into the game even if it is different(Ie 3D, 2D, HD). This also ties in to point 1.

3. Tieing in to poiint 2 it is easier to hype a known IP.

Once we get to the point of photorealsm at 7560P and it becomes mainstream enough to sell for the equillant of 20 USD today then we will see game companies relying less on franchises.

I want them to make a game that follows ocelot :P After hearing the idea about the PSP game planned to do that I think it would be friggin awesome. But it wouldn't be much of a stealth game me-thinks... which is one of the things I'm a massive advocate of. Those games can be so hard when trying not to get spotted xD

From 0 to KICKASS in .stupid seconds.

@DTG: Let's say you make a great movie with spectacular action sequences and a great story. How is it possible to make a better sequel/prequel? The onlyl way you can do that is to write a really great script and deliver as much, if not more/better, spectacular action sequences than the original. How many times can you do that? Once, maybe twice? By then, the magical feeling is over. It's passive entertainment, you can just "watch" a movie.

With a game it's totally different. There's not only a story you get to watch, you can also "play" it. The Play part is the part a game developer can really improve on and innovate. Particular with the MGS franchise you can see how the gameplay evolved from MGS1 -> MGS2 -> MGS3 -> MGS4.

I understand that with a story-driven game like MGS there's gotta be a time when there's no story left. In that case i agree that a franchise has to die. Like with MGS. The only thing i do wanna see in MGS's future are remakes of MG1 and MG2:SS.

But the point i wanna make is: when technology constrains a game's gameplay(which is the case with almost every game), a franchise can have a very long and bright future cause there are a lot of things to improve on. Unlike movies. This accounts for all games, except heavy story-driven franchises like Bioshock, Metal Gear Solid and Half-Life. (don't be confused with heavy story-driven franchises where each title has it's own individual story)

What's wrong with playing as Liquid, bobo? We already played as MGS's baddest badboy, Big Boss in MGS3. In my opinion, it was the series' finest hour. Liquid has a huge backstory. It deserves to be told. How'd he get his followers? What was it like living as Solid's inferior brother? Maybe Snake could be the villain. Could be interesting.......

d21lewis said:
What's wrong with playing as Liquid, bobo? We already played as MGS's baddest badboy, Big Boss in MGS3. In my opinion, it was the series' finest hour. Liquid has a huge backstory. It deserves to be told. How'd he get his followers? What was it like living as Solid's inferior brother? Maybe Snake could be the villain. Could be interesting.......

Liquid doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who infiltrates various places.