By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - The Hedron Particle Collider - For or Against?

Possible end of the world? Count me in!

Around the Network

Wouldn't this be even more ominous in 2012?

flames_of - "I think you're confusing Bush with Chuck Norris."

Wii: 80-85 Million end of 2009 (1.1.09)

I'm all for it, I think that the knowledge gained greatly outweighs the risks

fazz said:
Possible end of the world? Count me in!

Me too. See you in the front row.

bardicverse said:
sc94597 said:

btw, they are strictly using this device to study black holes. They dont need atom smashers of such a size for energy production or computers. Smaller ones exist for that use, ones that arent capable of producing a global catastrophe =)

Don't be stupid and talk about things you don't understand.

Firstly, the device is NOT used only to study black holes. Essentially, in physics at the momnent, there are several hundred plausible models (e.g. string theory) competing to explain the universe. They attempt to unify the two main theories - quantum mechanics and general relativity - so we have a complete description that allows practical advances in relevant areas (e.g. biochemistry and nanotechnology, space exploration). To find which of the theories is more correct, physicists need to study high-energy collisions between particles and see if the results match the predictions of the theory. Some of these events only occur in exotic conditions like those found just after the Big Bang, which we can only approach by using the extremely high energies this collider can provide. To reiterate: there are a wide range of experiments that cannot be done without the new collider and are very relevant to practical advances.

Secondly, there is almost no chance anything "bad" will happen. These collisions will produce exotic particles and structures like black holes, but these will be on a small scale which cannnot affect the macroworld and decay in minute fractions of a second. The body overseeing construction has just delivered a second report on the likelihood of disaster occuring, and both the first and second reports absolutely rule out any chance of it happening.

Few people with any relevant academic qualifications think there is a 'debate' at all. There can be a debate about value for money, but the collider or similar IS neccessary to make progress in physics and therefore technology, and there is a negligible chance that any of the events you've listed could happen.

EDIT: Your link refers to it being the "World's first time machine". Well, it isn't. Everything is a time machine - the collider is nothing special. For example, it is mathematically known that antimatter is matter that travels backwards through time. Time is also distorted when moving at any speed at all. As for humans time travelling, yes, it IS physically possible but this collider is not a time machine in that sense - again, if the author had any grasp of physics then they would not have written such a sensationalist headline.

Around the Network

Yes, I remember half listening to this in a science lesson, something about the Higgs Boson (aka the God Particle) and smashing it up in conditions similar to those after one millionth of a second after the Big Bang.

Remember, we had people predicting the same doom-'n'-gloom "end of world" this "black hole" that before the nuclear bomb.

Soleron said:
bardicverse said:
sc94597 said:

btw, they are strictly using this device to study black holes. They dont need atom smashers of such a size for energy production or computers. Smaller ones exist for that use, ones that arent capable of producing a global catastrophe =)

Firstly, the device is NOT used only to study black holes. Essentially, in physics at the momnent, there are several hundred plausible models (e.g. string theory) competing to explain the universe. They attempt to unify the two main theories - quantum mechanics and general relativity - so we have a complete description that allows practical advances in relevant areas (e.g. biochemistry and nanotechnology, space exploration). To find which of the theories is more correct, physicists need to study high-energy collisions between particles and see if the results match the predictions of the theory. Some of these events only occur in exotic conditions like those found just after the Big Bang, which we can only approach by using the extremely high energies this collider can provide. To reiterate: there are a wide range of experiments that cannot be done without the new collider and are very relevant to practical advances.

Secondly, there is almost no chance anything "bad" will happen. These collisions will produce exotic particles and structures like black holes, but these will be on a small scale which cannnot affect the macroworld and decay in minute fractions of a second. The body overseeing construction has just delivered a second report on the likelihood of disaster occuring, and both the first and second reports absolutely rule out any chance of it happening.

Few people with any relevant academic qualifications think there is a 'debate' at all. There can be a debate about value for money, but the collider or similar IS neccessary to make progress in physics and therefore technology, and there is a negligible chance that any of the events you've listed could happen.

EDIT: Your link refers to it being the "World's first time machine". Well, it isn't. Everything is a time machine - the collider is nothing special. For example, it is mathematically known that antimatter is matter that travels backwards through time. Time is also distorted when moving at any speed at all. As for humans time travelling, yes, it IS physically possible but this collider is not a time machine in that sense - again, if the author had any grasp of physics then they would not have written such a sensationalist headline.

^ When you're right, you're right.

I live within biking distance to a particle accelerator (Fermi Lab in Illinois), I hang out with the scientists and physicists and what have you on occasion (great guys, thank god they got their finding for the year, these are the men who could create giant robots with your death rays and weather control devices and what not, we have to make sure they stay on the side of good :P).  Nothing they do in these colliders can harm anyone outside of the colider itself. It will not cause a black hole to suck up the earth, it will not cause a chain reaction the will explode the earth, it will not cause those lizard things from Land of the Lost to come and scoop out our brains, it is totally safe.

Believe me, if these guys wanted to destroy the earth, they would have done it a lot sooner than this, bunch of Dr. Wily's that they are...

Proud member of the Mega Mario Movement

Check out my daily drawings here and help keep me on task!

Soleron said:

Firstly, watch your tone with me. I'm not some kid that you can just drop insults on. Besides, the mods don't care much for that tone, even in jest.

Secondly, the claim, even by CERN, is that the possibility of something going seriously awry is 1 in 50 million. There is a chance, however remote. The downside to that ratio is that there is no fix IF something goes wrong. The theory you stated IS correct, that theoretically these black holes will collapse on themselves quickly. That said, this is a theory as nothing of this magnitude has been done before and is nothing beyond advanced guesswork as to the result.

This particular unit is geared for black hole research, as stated in the CERN reports, so it is designed to be used for that. Will it be used for other research? Sure, but CERN stated that the reason for the creation of this device was dominantly for black hole research. So, I guess that, *gasp* I DO know what I'm talking about after all.

On the realm of research of Big Bang, as it is a scientific theory, what if it wasn't the case at all and the research is for naught but an epic case of crow eating? Since scientists can claim "Creationism" as a religious theory, we have two theories that may not be proven/disproven out until our lives come to an end.

The way I see this device, and even the slightest chance of a global catastrophe, is sort of like a blind person holding a loaded gun in my general direction. Chances are they might fire, or not, and then the probability of them hitting me. To me, there's still a gun pointed at me, and that's enough to make a defensive reaction.

You know, rather than fearing something you don't understand (and don't claim you do, the statements you have made thus far have more than proven that you don't), why don't you take the time and actually study up on these things, maybe even talk to some of the men in the field and maybe, just maybe, you will find your fears to be ungrounded and unjustified.

Oh, and if you throw creationism in a discussion about particle theory, be prepared to have a lot worse tones used than Soleron's "stupid" comment. Seriously, this is a scientific field, not theology. Kindly check your unprovable variables (God) at the door.

Proud member of the Mega Mario Movement

Check out my daily drawings here and help keep me on task!

you mean the world ending may not be blamed on Wii Fit.

:(

Check out the VGC Crunch this Podcast and Blog at www.tsnetcast.com