By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony Names Touch Screen Device After Phil Harrison

Sony Names Touch Screen Device After Phil Harrison

Can't be the same fella?

1 Jul 2008

Sony is apparently working on touch screen devices with gaming firmly in mind. One such device, according to the EETimes site is named Phil Harrison.

According to the US Patent Office, a patent referenced to 20080150911, refers to a "A hand-held electronic device..."

The inventor is stated as Phil Harrison... can't be the same Phil as the one who has recently departed Sony for Infogrames/Atari? Can it?

"The device may comprise a case case having one or more major surfaces; a touch screen disposed on one of the major surfaces, the touch screen; a processor operably coupled to the touch screen; and one or more tactile pixels disposed proximate the touch screen."

Section of the USPO's page mentions, "22. The method of claim 19 wherein the user input to the touch screen corresponds to user input to a video game."

Section 23 refers to, "23. The method of claim 22 wherein the predetermined state reflects a change in state of the video game or one or more particular game events.

Also included in the patent are references to 'gesture' and 'tilt' as well as "other devices in communication with the hand-held device."

So, a new PSP with a touch screen, eh? Why not turn it into a phone as

Vaio - "Bury me at Milanello"      R.I.P AC Milan

In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird.
Now the world is weird  and people take Prozac  to make it normal.

If laughing is the best medicine and marijuana makes you laugh

Is marijuana the best medicine?

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."

“If any creator has not played Mario, then they’re probably not a good creator. That’s something I can say with 100 percent confidence. Mario is, for game creators, the development bible.

Around the Network

well, Good for Sony, Phil deserved it.

Maybe this will distract him a little with the Epic failure of a certain little game called "alone in the dark"?

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)

They named it Phil Harrison?

What the hell?

touch device + focused on gaming = Nintendo DS/iPhone, no?

Anyways, Phil Harrison did alot for Sony's gaming division, glad they still keep him in mind.

I'm sure it's a codename, but the engineers designing it must feel awkward discussing it.

"Yeah, I was up really late last night working on Phil Harrison. It's a tough project, but I'm really excited to be working on Phil Harrison."

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Around the Network
Soriku said:
Old.

http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=0&id=31304

Sorry, didn´t find it when i did a search

Vaio - "Bury me at Milanello"      R.I.P AC Milan

In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird.
Now the world is weird  and people take Prozac  to make it normal.

If laughing is the best medicine and marijuana makes you laugh

Is marijuana the best medicine?

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."

“If any creator has not played Mario, then they’re probably not a good creator. That’s something I can say with 100 percent confidence. Mario is, for game creators, the development bible.

vaio said:
Soriku said:
Old.

http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=0&id=31304

Sorry, didn´t find it when i did a search

Yea, as if anyone goes to the trouble of searching for similar posts when they post a story!!

hopefully not the real name.

End of 2008 Sales:

Wii- 39 Million 360- 25Million PS3- 22 Million

PSN: papasmurf5721

Maybe it would be called.. the phil ?
or ... the harrison ?

Awesome that they're keeping Phil in mind, horrible that it sounds like a DS -_-; I thought the dual screens idea was stupid and pointless, why have 2 screens when only one of them is touch sensitive? If they're going multi-screen they better make it have some point :x I'm definitely not liking the similarities to the DS >

From 0 to KICKASS in .stupid seconds.