By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo is in an awkward situation... What will they do with Zelda?

They should just not make another Zelda game for a while. Give the series a rest and make other stuff.

Then, when it's been a few years, they can do whatever they want and it will be well-received.

Around the Network
leo-j said:
nintendo need to give something to the hardcore, and Im not talking about super mario sluggers, because if they dont show much if any hardcore titles this E3, they have officialy gone casual.

Cool. Now that you've set up your strawman are you going somewhere else?

O-D-C said:
I would love for the new Zelda to be absoulty original, like Majora's Mask.

Am I the only person on the planet who HATED Majora's Mask?

Keep this in mind when reading what I type...

I've been gaming longer than many of you have been alive.

I'm going to go on record and predict one-one sword play mechanics for the next Zelda. Imagine what Nintendo could do with that. That would be AWESOME!

Keep this in mind when reading what I type...

I've been gaming longer than many of you have been alive.

fkusumot said:
Words Of Wisdom said:
fkusumot said:

Is Sheik a man or a woman?

Man obviously.  Zelda changes into Sheik through magic so it's not like it's a simple change of clothes.

This is so wrong! It's disguise magic, not tranny magik!

Unfortunately, WoW is right.  Princess Ruto specifically refers to Shiek as a man in OoT, leading to what could have FINALLY been a useful female character in a Nintendo game being forced to turn into a man to become useful :-/

Please, PLEASE do NOT feed the trolls.
fksumot tag: "Sheik had to become a man to be useful. Or less useful. Might depend if you're bi."

--Predictions--
1) WiiFit will outsell the pokemans.
  Current Status: 2009.01.10 70k till PKMN Yellow (Passed: Emerald, Crystal, FR/LG)

Around the Network

i think zelda games are fine how they are. can't wait for a new one.

dougsdad0629 said:
O-D-C said:
I would love for the new Zelda to be absoulty original, like Majora's Mask.

Am I the only person on the planet who HATED Majora's Mask?

Any Zelda title not based on the same old Link-Zelda-Gannondorf/Ganon plotline is superior to all but the very original title.  Other than that, they're just remixing the same crap over and over again.

i've played a ton of zelda games and i'm ready for a drastic change to the series - it's really starting to feel stale to me.

my hopes include:

1. more engaging story
2. cities that feel more lively
3. deeper fighting (inclusion of magic would be great imo)

...but any thing else they do to change the series up a bit would be fine by me too. i liked wolf form in TP but overall it was a radical enough of a change for me. still loved the game though - just looking for more i guess.

Did someone say tranny?

Oh, Zelda, yeah, forgot. Sorry.

I am going to expand on my last post in this thread... Keep Zelda mostly the same.

I got to think in the Diable Thread.

THE FOLLOWING IS TO OPTIMIZE SALES, NOT MAKE ZELDA-HARDCORE HAPPY. (face it, your gonna buy it and love it anyway)

Difficulty:

Make the game with a new gradient. Easy to pick up, difficult and time consuming to master. Have a few great dungeons, but add in more great-but-shorter and optional dungeons with loot.

Controls:

Single Hand, Point, Click (A to move, open, and Grab), some Drag (no pun intended), and Waggle (B to lock on, and Shake it like a Polaroid picture).

If there going to have a triggered event in the environment, why make me go to inventory to dig out the right tool? Point at the ledge, the Grappling Hook should shoot. Point at the window, pull out the mirror.

3D engine and gameplay elements, but it should mostly feel like a throw back to LttP with top down.

Graphics:

Not realistic like TP, the Wii doesn't excel at that.

Not Cel-shaded, people are turned off by the cartoony link.

Stylized, like Super Mario Galaxy, Mad World, World of Warcraft, Diablo 3, No More Heroes, etc.

Sound:

No offense to the hard core audiophiles, but normal people don't care. Make it memorable (Nintendo is good at this) and make it not suck.

Thanks for reading.

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.

MadHatter said:

Whatever they decide to do with the next console-Zelda I think they should keep up with a few things:

1. Koji Kondo's music. I can't imagine a Zelda without those haunting sounds.

2. Many Side-quests (TwilightPrincess was a bit dissapointing on that... Remember how FULLY LOADED with sidequests the Windfall Island was in WindWaker... night-time auctions, spying, photo-shooting...). In my opinion these SideQuests offer as much excitement as the Temples (and sometimes even more... remember the Scultulla hunting at Ocarina, especially at nights with the scratching sounds... ).

3. A VERY interactive Village (Kakariko-style). Again TwilightPrincess suffered from that. Kakariko was barebones, not much to explore and do. Give us many shops (open at different hours), with more mini-games and a reason to collect all these ruppes... (at TwilightPrincess we had tons of ruppes at the end with no use)

4. The Hookshot. It's the ultimate Zelda weapon. (I don't care about the Ice/Fire/Light arrows, but the Hookshot is a MUST).

5. Fairy in a bottle. Again, this is a Zelda trademark that needs to be there no matter what! 

*** As for the Art-Direction, I think Nintendo needs to trust in their own insticts and artists, and not try to make a 'Lord of the Rings' universe (this is how Twilight Princess smelled here and there...).

Any other suggestions?

I take it you haven't played Majora's Mask?  It had far, far, FAR more sidequests than WW, and Clock Town was essentially a much larger and much more compact Kakariko village. 

Actualy , many people complained because there were too many sidequests and not enough dungeons in the game (the main focus of the game was collecting the various masks spread throughout Termina).

Here's a video of the intro that shows basically the whole town: