By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - New hdd for ps3

Uraeus said:
I got a Western Digital Scorpio 250GB S150 5400RPM 8MB drive from dabs.com in my machine and I am generally happy with it. It seems quiet. Only thing is I do feel that the PS3 fan is running more often/louder now, so I can't help but wonder if the new drive generates more heat and thus cause the fan to turn on more often. Sad part is that I didn't get a 7200RPM drive for that exact reason, being worried that the high RPM would cause more heat emission and thus cause the PS3 system fan to turn on faster/more frequently.

Also make sure to get a good perfect fitting screwdriver with a good handle before attempting the screws holding the old drive to the harness. I ruined the screws trying and had to drill out the screws in order to get the harness lose so I could attach it to my new drive.

I do wish that somebody like arstechnica did a review of possible drives for the PS3 letting you know which drives where gave of the least noise and produced the least heat and so on.

Yes, that would be heaven. Thanks for the input, and welcome to the site.

Around the Network

I have a 160Gb Western Digital one in mine that my sister helped me put in.  It doesn't make any noise at all. 

Toms hardware have a (sometimes useful) comparison chart:
http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/hard-disks/average-read-transfer-performance,675.html

If it was working properly, it would let you see temperature and read/write speeds of most of the models out today. At the moment there doesn't seem to be data for temperatures/power consumption but most other things are there.

i have a 120gb Seagate and love it. Seagate is the brand sony uses so it is reliable. It was 40 bucks when i got it used of ebay. Works great

Owner Of: PS1 PS2 PS3 PSP NES GB GBA GC WII XBOX

Noise levels are dependant on the manufacturer, WD and Samsung make less noise (generally, there are excpetions) but in my experience the Samsung ones get warmer and might not live as long.
My PC's download disc is a 120GB WD from 1999 and all my other discs are of the same brand, their quality is impeccable and the prices are level with or even below other brands.

Around the Network

So the interface is SERIAL ATA and then what , because i have just gone on dabs.com and it says choose between SERIAL ATA-300 and SERIAL ATA 150?

The PS3 has a 2.5MM 5400 rpm SATA hard drive.  That's about all I know.

I own a 320gb Western Digital Scorpio 3 gb/s 5400 RPM. I got it off of ebay for $125, and so far I have only 58gb left on it. The bulk of the space taken up is from video's and a small collection of music. I only have two demo's on it, hot shots golf and civ revolution. I have 2 games which are taking up a portion of my space, GTAIV and MGS4.
I would recommend this HDD to anyone who has a bunch of content, and they don't want to stream it from there computer. Both of my computers HDD space combined doesn't even surpass my PS3's HDD.

Own: PSP, DS, Wii, PS3(20GB- Swapped w/500GB)

End of Year Sales Expectations for 2009 (Added December 23, 09):

Wii: 63 mil

PS3: 32 mil

Xbox360: 37 mil

Sicilian. said:
i have a 120gb Seagate and love it. Seagate is the brand sony uses so it is reliable. It was 40 bucks when i got it used of ebay. Works great

Actually, Sony used to use Western Digital exclusivly but when they decided to cut costs they started using Seagate (whose drives are great) and Hitatchi.

I feel sorry for anyone with a Hitachi drive they have high faliure rates

Now Playing: Crysis 2

Last Finished: BulletStorm

Online IDs: PSN: computermaximus, XBL: computermaximus

headshot91 said:
So the interface is SERIAL ATA and then what , because i have just gone on dabs.com and it says choose between SERIAL ATA-300 and SERIAL ATA 150?

You can use either.