By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii FIFA 08 - First Impressions

I'd like to thank Blue for, bait aside, helping me find out about this article:

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=77689

"We tried sticking the Wii Remote to the bottom of a sock. I used a needle and thread." This is how the producer of FIFA 08 chronicles the back-to-basics approach to football using Wii hardware.

Madden looked great, and as an european who's not into american football, I couldn't help fealing jealous like "to bad we don't use our hands to play". But though it seems we won't need the sock to play, controls may end up cool all the same.

PS: here's to hoping we can now talk football and FIFA on the Wii, and not get the thread closed - please?

Reality has a Nintendo bias.
Around the Network

I may be alone but I would like to see non-gesture based sports games along side gesture based sports games on the Wii ...

You should be able to use the pointer on the screen to "hover-over" the players you want to pass to (or in the general direction you want to pass) and press a button to initiate the pass; at the same time you can force players to aim towards the net in order to increase their shot's accuracy.

Pointing on screen is bad if you're playing with a guy next to you - he'll see what your doing.

Actually I think the controls might be good. I know that when I get overly enthusiastic even watching a game on TV, I do those exact same movements to just mooove the ball. I'd have to try it to believe it, though.

I think - in terms of 2 players it'll add a lot to the table, if you really practice then you'll trounce someone who doesn't.  That's the way it should be, wondering if tilting the nunchuck will make your player drop the corresponding shoulder to trick defenders and so on - that'd be good.

Very excited about the Madden sports at the moment - they really seem to be really working hard for the Wii and i'm also looking forward to the Tiger Woods 08 cos it'll come and should be better than 07.

Those people that think they're perfect give a bad reputation to us who are... 

"With the DS, it's fair to say that Nintendo stepped out of the technical race and went for a feature differentiation with the touch screen, but I fear that it won't have a lasting impact beyond that of a gimmick - so the long-lasting appeal of the platform is at peril as a direct result of that." - Phil Harrison, Sony

EA is win on the wii imo. They really got their ish together this time around.

fifa FTW and I'm not even a soccer fan...

Around the Network

man, mii's in a EA Sports game? oh my, it's an instant million seller.

oh wait, i forget it's america we're talking about here... never mind.

ronaldinho looks great! but seriously mii's in FIFA... that's just brilliant. i think any games with miis in them instantly add as much value as online capabilities.

hence, i won't be getting mario strikers (probably won't anyway, but now definitely won't). will wait till this comes out.

EDIT: by "america we're talking about" i'm referring to the insane popularity of football, uh, soccer, i mean, here. 

the Wii is an epidemic.

start making all your mii friends. are they using the same mii's from console or are they separate? it would suck to make them avatars again.

Same system Galaki.

I think EA realized that the Wii works very well with sports titles and they have a lot of sports studios so could make a killing on them if they do the controls right. They tested it out with Madden first at launch which worked out great critically and commercially so now they're adding a few more.

Yeah, Galaki. They only redesigned the bodies to have arms and legs - even hands! They look a lot like MySims characters, actually.

Also, if that table football shot is from a minigame, that may be massive by itself (we basically grow up playing table footbal around here!)

KruzeS said:

Also, if that table football shot is from a minigame, that may be massive by itself (we basically grow up playing table footbal around here!)

If the table football minigame is good I'll probably buy FIFA just for it.

Here's hoping that someone does a cool table football game for the Wii, it's THE platform for it, for obvious reasons.

(reparei agora que és português :D com esse comentário sobre os matrecos, só podia ;))

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957