By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - everyone get a quad core

You still have the 1 cent coins? Cool! It would be awesome to gather $100 in cents. How much would that weigh?

What's the biggest bill in the US btw?

This is invisible text!

Around the Network

there was a 100,000 dollar bill(I think) but it got discontinued

I wouldn't want to buy an Intel chip regardless of how many cores it has.

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229

Katilian said:
a12331 said:
but when they cheaper than dual cores, they are a steal, and this one is one of the best cpus out there

Firstly, the E8400 is $189.99, so the quad core isn't cheaper. Secondly, it really depends on what you need. The E8400 is a more powerful chip per core than the Q6600 (Faster FSB, Faster Clock, 45nm). As has been mention, for the average user, they'll get more benefit out of the faster dual core than a slower quad core.

Actually, if some one runs a whole bunch of applications in the background, wouldn't the quad core be better?

I would consider an average user spamming a whole bunch of windows more than running any kind of extensive applications that might maximize the CPU usage.

I'm an ALIEN!!!! - officially identified as by Konnichiwa

Of course... My English is still... horrible - appreciation and thanks to FJ-Warez  

Brawl FC: 0301-9911-8154

Gnizmo said:

why, they are more reliable, faster,and and overall better than amd.

but amd is cheaper 

Around the Network
Katilian said:
a12331 said:
but when they cheaper than dual cores, they are a steal, and this one is one of the best cpus out there

Firstly, the E8400 is $189.99, so the quad core isn't cheaper. Secondly, it really depends on what you need. The E8400 is a more powerful chip per core than the Q6600 (Faster FSB, Faster Clock, 45nm). As has been mention, for the average user, they'll get more benefit out of the faster dual core than a slower quad core.

It may have all those features, but the q6600 has 2 cores extra to do its work. Also you can easily overclock this cpu rather than the e8400

a12331 said:
Gnizmo said:

why, they are more reliable, faster,and and overall better than amd.

but amd is cheaper

Because I have always found AMDs to be more reliable, and cheaper than Intels making them better for me. Speed difference has never been close to big enough to matter. I am not sure what you mean by "and overall better," but I have often found that just means the person likes the brand for no definable reason.

a12331 said:
Katilian said:
a12331 said:

It may have all those features, but the q6600 has 2 cores extra to do its work. Also you can easily overclock this cpu rather than the e8400

For gaming it doesn't help very much, because the extra cores aren't used in many games. I don't know about overclocking though since I got my pentium dual core(same as a core 2 duo just with half the cache) to 3.0ghz from 1.6ghz  and its still running under 400C. The chip was $70 when I bought it and now they have some that overclock to 4.0ghz from I think 2.6ghz for around $100. Right now quad cores aren't too useful. In the future they may be though.

Not really it is becasue amd changes way to often, while intel stays the same(talking about cpu sockets

a12331 said:
Not really it is becasue amd changes way to often, while intel stays the same(talking about cpu sockets

Fair enough. I build a new computer for myself so rarely that it isn't an issue for me. Hopefully they will stop their yearly update of sockets before it dries off too many customers though.