By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - EA is trying to help Wii owners!

We already heard about how big online gaming would be for the Wii in 2008, but we didn't expect that EA, of all studios, would be fighting for us to have a better online experience on the Wii. Either that, or they're just too lazy and don't want to retool an interface and online package for their Wii version of Madden 08. Regardless of what it is, they've got the right idea: no friend codes. We don't want them, you don't want them, so why use them?

Hopefully, Nintendo won't fight them to change this.

Around the Network

Aren't they adding EA friend codes or something?

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

Well, the only problem with Friend Codes is that you have a cumbersome number, and you have to exchange that number with somebody else first.

So, even if Nintendo forced third parties to use FCs, there is no reason the third party can't create an online community around the Miis, then store all of a users' FCs there. I mean, you can still use the FC system, but as long as you don't show the end user some 16 or 20 digit number, and you centralize the FCs in a common database, you're right where any other online system is.

It's much ado about nothing, IMHO. Just because Nintendo has chosen a poor, unintuitive system for their games and don't offer a global browser to initiate matches, that doesn't mean other devs have to do the same thing in the exact same way, even if they are using Nintendo's network and/or code system.

I personally don't think the friend code system is that bad in theory but the implementation is lacking. If your friend code acted in the same (general) fashion that an email address worked in MSN I don't think there would be too many complaints; the fact that a friend code is game specific is the lame part.

ckmlb said:
Aren't they adding EA friend codes or something?

No EA Nation has its own username and password from my recollection of its PS2 implementation. 

Around the Network
HappySqurriel said:
I personally don't think the friend code system is that bad in theory but the implementation is lacking. If your friend code acted in the same (general) fashion that an email address worked in MSN I don't think there would be too many complaints; the fact that a friend code is game specific is the lame part.

Where did you here that friend codes were game specific?

The only online games I know for the Wii are :

•  the pokemon game (which uses the DS system not the wii)
  • Super mario strikers
Not enough data for a claim

Visit my interactive story site
http://www.catprog.org/story.html

HappySqurriel said:

I agree there should only be one number per Wii. But I do think you should have one roster per game. I don't want all my friends automatically added to my every game, and I expect specially parents to feel the same.

But if the in-game autorization relied always on the same Wii number, and/or picking people from your Wii friends list, it would be much better. At the very least games should support exchanging friend codes with a Wii friend through the mail system, and all in game, if that's at all possible. We can already do that anyway, but pencil and paper sucks.

Reality has a Nintendo bias.

I'm one of the most staunch defenders of friends codes around. I'm aware I'm in the minority, but I'm also aware that most of the people that post with me are young males with 1) no restrictions on their gameplay (in terms of violence/profanity) and 2) no children.

Children are a big issue here -- pretty much every method people suggest Nintendo uses is easily circumventable by even modestly intelligent children.  Look at computers; who here signed on to their parent's administrative account to bypass the security measures on theirs own account? Who here had no administrative account to worry about at all

Even with my defense, I don't think that Friend Codes are perfect, either. Still, as a general rule, I don't think there will ever be a truly child-safe internet service that doesn't have inconvient roadblocks for the rest of us.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

I agree with HappySqurriel, in that i don't mind the Friend Codes, but it would be nicer if they were all put into one, rather than different for everygame, i don't think they thought that through very well..

Even then though, it's a one time thing for each game, so i can live with it or without, if it keeps nintendo happy enough to release good online games, then i'm happy to spend probably a *max* of 10-20mins total to add everyone i want to add for each specific game

However, i don't think they should have the MSN system where it tells the person that they have been added, otherwise the FC system is a waste altogether, however they could implement this another way (which may be what you actually meant) by sending a notification that "Johnny has just added your friend code, ask him for his to play online!" (or whatever personal message the user wants to send)