By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sega profits down

Sega Sammy profits down Sonic publisher says games have been strong performers--other factors, including a drop in pachinko machine sales, cited for the drop. According to a Sega Sammy financial statement released today, the Tokyo-based publisher's numbers were down across the board for the nine months ending December 31, 2006. Net sales came to 404.3 billion yen (approximately $3.4 billion) compared to 420.8 billion yen ($3.5 billion) the same period the year before, while net income was down to 49.4 billion yen ($411 million) from 63.5 billion yen ($526 million). The Japanese company blamed a drop in pachinko machine sales, falling sales at its amusement centres, and a downturn in children's card game sales. Game sales for the Sega Sammy group came to 147 million units, with the majority of sales coming from the US. In Japan, games that performed well included Oshare Majo Love and Berry DS collection, along with Yakuza sequel Ryu Ga Gotoku 2. In overseas markets, Sonic the Hedgehog, along with other Sonic series games, was a strong performer. Sega Sammy was formed in 2004 by a merger. Sammy Corporation was created in 1975, and its core business was the development and retail of pachinko machines. Sega was founded in 1951 and created games including Frogger, Virtua Fighter, and the Phantasy Star series. The two companies still use their separate brand names on various products.

Around the Network

I love sega. I love the dreamcast. But other than virtua fighter and jet set future the games that they have come out with in the past few years were huge dissapointments. Phantasy star universe, the new sonic....... it makes me seriously upset at the sheer fact that I have not enjoyed thier titles recently. I hope the get their stuff together and make a very strong return.

Games make me happy! PSN ID: Staticneuron Gamertag: Staticneuron Wii Code: Static Wii - 3055 0871 5802 1723

I want a new Virtual On and Skies of Arcadia, both exclusive for Wii, if they would be so kind. :) I'm hoping that Sonic and the Secret Rings turns out well (and sells well if it's a good game) if only to help please fans. ;)

Nobody is crazy enough to accuse me of being sane.