By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Mistwalker Update: MW and Sakaguchi working on game that pre-dates FFVII

NiKKoM said:
Diomedes1976 said:
Sakaguchi is an old dog that should learn some new tricks.He cant keep doing exactly the same as 10-12 years ago as long as game desing go.If he does his works can be "good " or even "very good" as Lost Oddysey but never brilliant.Game design keeps evolving and Sakaguchi is frozen in the past.

Ain't I playing the same Mario Kart like from 10-12 years ago?? Which I really like to play.. I'm glad that Sakaguchi is 'frozen' in the past.. They made great games back then..

My thoughts exactly.  If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Around the Network

Yay more turnbased... I Hope.

I so dislike action based gameplay, it pretty much destroyed the good old days.

It's today youths fault(seems to suffer from AD-HD every single one of them), go and destroy some other gaming type, leave RPG's alone damn it.

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints

@Naum It says real time in the first quote box.

Bahh guess it was too much too hope for.....

Guess my only hope now is if it's like Secret of Mana then.

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints

Naum said:
Bahh guess it was too much too hope for.....

Yeah I also want some more turn based rpgs.(see tag in sig).

Around the Network
mrstickball said:
Diomedes1976 said:
Sakaguchi is an old dog that should learn some new tricks.He cant keep doing exactly the same as 10-12 years ago as long as game desing go.If he does his works can be "good " or even "very good" as Lost Oddysey but never brilliant.Game design keeps evolving and Sakaguchi is frozen in the past.

So what kind of ideas would you prefer from Sak? Cry On is going to be real time, and have a few innovations in it well beyond what LO/BD were.

Why is it that they can advance FFXII into a real-time RPG, and everyone craps on it, and hates it? It had tons of innovation, yet is hated by the core group of FF fans because it was too different, and now Square is clamoring to go back to the old system. Every Playstation fanboy is eagerly anticipating the archaic design of FFXIII..So why is the way Sak does things, any different?

Lets not forget that it will take him, Mistwalker, Feel Plus, and the rest of the core group that 'Sak works with, to mesh, and meld ideas to create a truely revolutionary game - weather its old or new. The design teams haven't worked as a full-fledged group before Blue Dragon, and Lost Odyssey (and we know that LO blows BD out of the water). So we can see that progress was made in the past year, between what BD accomplished, and what LO did as well.

Speaking as a diehard FF fan, it wasn't the gameplay that I disliked in FFXII, in fact, I thought it was a great, refreshing approach. What I did hate about it, and what made it m=one of my least liked FF's was it's storyline and its boring characters.

I don't have any issues with Sakaguichi sticking to what he knows at all. I'd gladly eat it up. I don't think there is a double standard set here by 'Every Playstation fanboy', I really hate it when people generalize.

i still like FF8 and FF10 better than FF7. i only have problem with FF12. i Would like what he can do without using/relate anything to the FF name.

Not like that company who try to use Xenogears to make moeny, even though they have no right the game. And ended up make some bad RPGs

Its good to hear some semblance of things happening at Mistwalker. I hope this is to build some anticipation for an announcement at E3.

I think FFXII's gameplay received very mixed reviews from fans. I'd like to think most liked it more than the outdated random encounters + turn-based system of the past, but it's probably more of 50-50 split. In review circles, the gameplay was universally acclaimed. What seems to be hated most about that game was the story and characters.

IMO, turn-based combat is fine. Even random encounters are decent. The problem arises when it takes ridiculous amounts of loading time to go from the overworld to the actual battle. That's one of the reasons Chrono Trigger is universally loved; turn based combat + no load times + no random encounters.

My Top 5:

Shadow of the Colossus, Metal Gear Solid 3, Shenmue, Skies of Arcadia, Chrono Trigger

My 2 nex-gen systems: PS3 and Wii

Prediction Aug '08: We see the PSP2 released fall '09. Graphically, it's basically the same as the current system. UMD drive ditched and replaced by 4-8gb on board flash memory. Other upgrades: 2nd analog nub, touchscreen, blutooth, motion sensor. Design: Flip-style or slider. Size: Think Iphone. Cost: $199. Will be profitable on day 1.

jman8 said:
I think FFXII's gameplay received very mixed reviews from fans. I'd like to think most liked it more than the outdated random encounters + turn-based system of the past, but it's probably more of 50-50 split. In review circles, the gameplay was universally acclaimed. What seems to be hated most about that game was the story and characters.

IMO, turn-based combat is fine. Even random encounters are decent. The problem arises when it takes ridiculous amounts of loading time to go from the overworld to the actual battle. That's one of the reasons Chrono Trigger is universally loved; turn based combat + no load times + no random encounters.

The 'main characters', with the exception of Bathier, aren't very interesting.  I am not totally sure about the story since I haven't beated it yet.  The gameplay is great though