By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony Group Corporate Strategy Update FY2008 - FY2010*

We'll see what their financials are after June 30, 2008

Around the Network

"Sony dropped the ball, and Nintendo picked it up. Very pleasing."

Yeah, if they had a console with any real horsepower under the hood. Nintendo is wrong. I didn't buy a Colecovision after I had an Atari 2600 for new ways to play games. I bought the Colecovision because games like Donkey Kong and Zaxxon looked an h___ of a lot better on the CV than they did on the 2600. And, I didn't buy a current gen console to have graphics only a bit better than last gen and where everything else was just a sd or big head version of last gen. This console generation is P______ me off.

you =/ the majority of people. I know you think it does, but it just doesn't.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

@johnsobas

What do you mean?

He meant '=/=' I believe. Does not equal.

Not '=/' which is a smiley.

Around the Network

ast fy loss doesn't say anything about the fact if hardware is still a loss or if they got it profitabole allready. they probably have lost a lot in first half of last fy and in the heavy pricedrop. but there has been reports that by jan 2008 ps3 manufactoring costs have allready dropped to around 400$, which means that cause of the strong euro they probably allready have been selling hardware with a profit in europe starting with jan (or maybe even in holiday season).

with the rsx shrink & the next cell shrink as well as mainboard shrinks and smaller cooling they will get more an more profitable.

as long as they don't have to do a big pricedrop again i don't see anything that will cause them a loss in the current financial year. i think they might even be able to do a ~50$ pricedrop after the shrinks (if the 360 pricedrop has to be countered with one), but that would mean lower profits so i guess they will try to keep price same as long as possible.

Sounds reasonable. I don't think it's out of the question for Sony's game division to break even financially in this current fiscal year (Apr. 2008 - Mar. 2009). But they certainly can't cut prices any further if that's their goal. It's one or the other: turn a profit, or cut prices. Sony can't have both. They've said they will go for profitability, and I believe them.

Clearly, Sony was not breaking even on the PS3 in the first three months of this year, when the game division lost some 200m dollars.

My Website

End of 2008 totals: Wii 42m, 360 24m, PS3 18.5m (made Jan. 4, 2008)

Sounds like no pricecuts and trying to sell PS3 more as an entertainment hub... shifting resources from new IPS to said non-game things. Might explain why those games got axed recently.

quaiky said:
ast fy loss doesn't say anything about the fact if hardware is still a loss or if they got it profitabole allready. they probably have lost a lot in first half of last fy and in the heavy pricedrop. but there has been reports that by jan 2008 ps3 manufactoring costs have allready dropped to around 400$, which means that cause of the strong euro they probably allready have been selling hardware with a profit in europe starting with jan (or maybe even in holiday season).

with the rsx shrink & the next cell shrink as well as mainboard shrinks and smaller cooling they will get more an more profitable.

as long as they don't have to do a big pricedrop again i don't see anything that will cause them a loss in the current financial year. i think they might even be able to do a ~50$ pricedrop after the shrinks (if the 360 pricedrop has to be countered with one), but that would mean lower profits so i guess they will try to keep price same as long as possible.

Except they lost money in the 4th quarter. Which means they basically have to be losing money per console.  If sony was making money per PS3 i'm sure we'd hear all about it.

Yes, in the 4Q - Jan 2008 to Mar 2008 (from Sony Financials)

Game Division:

Revenue: USD 4.029 Billion
Loss: USD 280 Million

The only quarter they made money is the 3Q - Sep 2007 to Dec 2007 - probably mainly due to PS2 hardware and software - as it sold double the amounts compared to other quarters.

Revenue: USD 5.098 Billion
Profit: USD 113 Million

Maybe due to selling:
PS2 Hardware: 5.4 million units
PS2 Software: 60.9 million units
PSP Hardware: 5.76 million units
PSP Software: 18.3 million units
PS3 Hardware: 4.9 million units
PS3 Software: 26 million units

All figures taken from Sony Financial Statements