By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Ninja Gaiden Sigma will silence PS3 critics, says Hayashi

LINK

Yosuke Hayashi, producer and director of Ninja Gaiden Sigma at Team Ninja, has promised gamers and critics alike that they've done everything they could with Ninja Gaiden on the PS3. It is the best it can be, remake or not, and will silence those critical of the PlayStation 3's potential. From a speech given at a recent NGS event, Hayashi said "I have heard much criticism of the PS3, but I am confident that Ninja Gaiden Sigma will demonstrate how powerful the PS3 really is." We hope he's right because that demo was darn amazing.

What's most impressive, though, is the final framerate and resolution count. With some advanced effects like self-shading, you'd expect the normal 720p at 60fps or 1080p at 30fps, right? No. Team Ninja is actually delivering those advanced graphical techniques with a persistant 60fps at an astounding 1080p! Hayashi claims that no game has yet to do that, neither on the 360 or the PS3. We can't wait to see it in action.

URNOTE Proud Owner of a 60GB PS3 Console (Purchased 12/22/06)

#1 reason MGS4 is PS3 exclusive  xbox is too loud for snake to sneak around
PSNTAG= Xander732

Around the Network

Well, what do you expect him to say... He does want the game to sell....
Your 1 person testimonial was better.
The game looks good, though. The same, but different.

...And you think they'd say any different if it was a port to the Wii or 360?

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Yeah. Like Midway saying the Wii version of MKA is the best. They want to sell it, eventhough it is WAY overpriced, considering you can get the PS2 version for 20 New.

Dude is quite outspoken, then agian thier games are always top quality.

best was when he said devs complaining that the PS3 is hard to develop for are making excuses for why their games suck.

Around the Network

I am definitely looking forward to this game. The demo was alot of fun and I want to see something running at 1080p 60fps, should be a good HD show off ;)

Blue3 said:
Dude is quite outspoken, then agian thier games are always top quality.

best was when he said devs complaining that the PS3 is hard to develop for are making excuses for why their games suck.

yea their games are always top quaility... that quote is funny though... he basically told other developers their ps3 games are trash lol

THe oNLY TRue STuPiDiTY iS THe aCCePTaNCe oF iGNoRaNCe 

PSNTAG K_I_N_G__COKE

The King Of The Iron Fist tournament

I'm sorry, but I don't think Mr Hayashi, who produced and directed the game, would go on record saying "gee, actually, the game is kinda sucky-sucky". Not to say that it is sucky-sucky - it most likely kicks serious booty, but that's beside the point.

Also, I think if there is any type of game genre that can pull off  1080p@60fps, it's Ninja Gaiden, Devil May Cry or Onimusha-type games.

Basically, you are combining prerendered backdrops,  some hi-poly set pieces and even higher-poly models onscreen in a small, confined area. For instance, when you go into a room in Ninja Gaiden, the game will actually load the "room scene". For the player, this means Mr Ninja has entered a room inside a castle; for the game engine, there is no castle at all. The only thing that exists in the game at that point in time is one room (with its associated prerendered backdrop, set pieces, baddies and of course, Mr Ninja. Everything outside the room is a black void of nothingness. This does not require nearly as much processing power, as, say, sandbox games like GTA3 or open world scenes like Oblivion. And also notice how the camera on Ninja Gaiden is fixed? For the very same reasons: One set angle (or a controlled range of angles) requires far less processing power than allowing the player to change the camera angle at will. By fixing camera angles you can also avoid having to render or for that matter create assets beyond what the camera allows you to see. Games like Oblivion don't have this benefit.

Just think back to the original Resident Evil on the PS. There was no way in a pig's ass that the PS could actually have rendered those backdrops, and they weren't - they were prerendered textures. The actual zombies looked like crap in comparison.

Of course the PS3 is capable of much higher poly counts per model, but the way the game is structured has not changed from the original Resident Evil, which if I recall correctly, pretty much set the bar and paved the way for these types of games. So for them to accomplish 1080p@60fps is not surprising at all. Given the nature of Ninja Gaiden's gameplay plus the sheer raw horsepower of the PS3, I would consider anything less to be a technical flop from Mr Hayashi.

I have a lot of respect for Team Ninja - they definitely have their shit together when it comes to development games that make proper use of hardware, stable framerates, etc.

Not overally surprised that the PS3 version runs at 1080p/60fps - but its definitely a positive sign.

Guessing they actually have some engine programmers that know WTF they are doing... using assembler where required, etc.

If it wasn't essentially a port of a game from 3(?) years ago, it would do rather well.

(note - I'm fairly certain they could get the same game to run on the 360 at 1080p/60fps...).

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

Well, some say that, because Japanese didnt play it (Xbox), it will sell wel there. I doubt it.