By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Microsoft Game Division 2007 Financials - XBox Loss, not as Big?

DMeisterJ said:
So how much did they lose?

I assume he doesn't know.

Around the Network

@PooperScooper

So you are saying that the only way I can make a post or thread is to
ACTUALLY KNOW with 100% certainty - all the numbers.

That means, that this whole site should be shut down because they are also ASSUMING and EXTRAPOLATING their numbers. Is that your position?

Like I mentioned previously (I just hope you understand it) - I NEVER claimed that I am correct. This is how you would do an analysis.

If you have never done something like this, admit it and just say you can't do it.

But if you can do an analysis like this, then show us how you do it, with actual number or "assumptions", then back up whatever it is you want to say.

PooperScooper said:
DMeisterJ said:
So how much did they lose?

I assume he doesn't know.

They lost 1.8 billion last year?

@dbot: $1.06 billion. What they basically did is write down $1.06 billion in one quarter as their anticipated losses due to the repairs. If they end up spending more on repairs than that, they'll have to write it down as another loss. This says to me more that they expect it to cost $1.06 billion in the time between the initiation of the program to the point where the system will become profitable enough to be able to write down additional repairs as a quarterly loss and still show an overall profit.

bumidan said:
@PooperScooper

So you are saying that the only way I can make a post or thread is to
ACTUALLY KNOW with 100% certainty - all the numbers.

That means, that this whole site should be shut down because they are also ASSUMING and EXTRAPOLATING their numbers. Is that your position?

Like I mentioned previously (I just hope you understand it) - I NEVER claimed that I am correct. This is how you would do an analysis.

If you have never done something like this, admit it and just say you can't do it.

But if you can do an analysis like this, then show us how you do it, with actual number or "assumptions", then back up whatever it is you want to say.

Difference between this and the site

The site has news, manufactures, other tracking places for help.

You only have half data from the companies and assume 20 different things to get your numbers

The site assume one number. You assume a hole bunch

The last thread you created was locked "You analysist is a joke" < that was the reason. This is also a joke.

Around the Network

@DJ

The EDD division lost $1.892 Billion for FY 2007 ending Jun 2007

But you can't tell if that was all XBox related losses - that's why you have to infer AND make ASSUMPTIONS.

There is no way of knowing ACTUAL losses, unless MSFT comes out and says what it is.

The 1.06 Billion is already reflected in the 1.892 Billion loss.

So IF there was no RROD charge, the loss of the divison would have been $832Million.

Again, the actual report already mentioned that the loss is largely due to RROD charge AND Zune related launch.

I hope that makes some sense.

bumidian,

IMO Pooper is attacking you with weak arguments. Ignore him, if he he won't stop.

Of course it is perfectly fine to make the assumptions you do, if you're gonna speculate weather or not the X360 is profitable or not.

Just try to structure your posts so that they're easier to follow (not just the numbers, but also be clear when you are making an assumption).

Slimebeast said:

bumidian,

IMO Pooper is attacking you with weak arguments. Ignore him, if he he won't stop.

Of course it is perfectly fine to make the assumptions you do, if you're gonna speculate weather or not the X360 is profitable or not.

Just try to structure your posts so that they're easier to follow (not just the numbers, but also be clear when you are making an assumption).

If my arguement is weak why'd the other thread get locked for being a joke?

I'm assuming my arguement is valid.

PooperScooper said:
Slimebeast said:

bumidian,

If my arguement is weak why'd the other thread get locked for being a joke?

I don't know. I missed that thread. Maybe he crossed the line when speculation becomes propaganda?

Assumptions in itself is not wrong, if you just declare clearly that you're making assumptions as a basis for a theory.

You are right PooperScooper, the last thread was shut down by SSJ12.(?)

However, in that thread, as with this thread so far, NOBODY EVER gave different numbers to support their own positions.

All they did was ATTACK. I understand that's how public forums work, and I'm fine with that.

All I am hoping for is for someone - I hope you can do it - to reply with numbers to support their position. That is all.

If you think the XBox is losing $X amount - then show us.
If you think the XBox is making $X amount - then show us.

I have no problem, as long as you show your analysis. We don't have to agree on anything. I am not trying to convert you into believing what I believe.