By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Edge: Ninja Gaiden II walks all over DMC 4 and God of War

Phasma said:
NJ5 said:
Phasma said:
weezy said:
Some people can't handle a hard game.
They like simple games like GoW and DMC.

Again you are babbling sh*t. NG is the simple game, you just fight and don't have to worry about anything else. DMC is actually quite the same, story aint deep and the puzzles, if you can call them that are easy, but GOW ain't simple you do a lot more in it than fight and if in simple you mean easy to beat, play with the harder difficulty and it ain't easy. Also don't start with the "NG is hard even with the easy mode" because that actually sucks, because it turns off players who can't play, with GOW on the other hand you actually can CHOOSE if the game is easy, hard or very hard, and im actually quite amazed about how the "great player" couldn't see things like this. Looks like the player has been played. (Come up with something clever will ya?)

^ Another gamer influenced by games getting easier as time goes on.

Hohoo, that was sooo clever :D

Maybe, but that's not the best part. The best part is that, most likely, I was right too.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network
ZenfoldorVGI said:
Phasma said:

I must say this thread has seen it share of trolling. I don't say NG2 sucks, beause it doesn't. But it's quite stupid to bash a game like GOW ( a darn good game indeed) and say it sucks just because you think NG2 is better. One thing i wondered was what ZenfoldorVGI said:I want a few things. Difficulty, depth, and boss battles. Have you played GOW2 and cranked up the difficulty? Really, do that. GOW2 has all of those features you said. Mediocre action elements? Dude, again...Really? Play some games would you. I Have been playing games from the nes period and i hate easy games, they give no challenge what so ever.

Trust me when I say that in all likelyhood I've played 100 times the amount of videogames you have, but lets drop that, it's personal and unimportant.

"Amount" of games doesn't matter as much as taste in games.

I've said it many times, GoW is, imo, the most over-rated series in gaming.

Instead of doing any particular thing well, it focuses more on production values and storyline. If you took Dante and put him in GoW, it would be the worst DMC game yet.

Here are my issues with the game:

A. The bosses are killed via mini-game where you press the corresponding button to what appears on screen. Most of the interesting fighs are like this. These types of mini-game are some of the worst in gaming, and amount to the in class mini-games in Bully. If you strip away everything else, this is bad gameplay.

B. Puzzles involving levers and blocks significantly slow down the pace of the game which by nature is in an already repetitive genre.

C. The ability to get stuck and backtrack to find the puzzle piece is a gameplay element that grew stale in Resident Evil 1 for the playstation.

D. The combat itself is rather bad. Upgraded moves and RPG elements are un-necessary, and add very little to your combat abilities. The vast majority of movies you can perform are made with the obviously overpowered chain weapons right out of the gate. Every 3d Castlevania has had a more complex battle system than every GoW title.

The story, character, and diversity of the game ensure that it gets high ratings for originality, but when you compare it to a real action game, it falls short.

I'm not surprised this game has a ton of fanboys. The game is "cool." It attempts to put style over substance, and when half of your short-ass game is filled with puzzles to open the door to the next room, we might as well be playing the last Prince of Persia game and saying it's better than DMC 4. You can't compare them, it's a different genre.

If you want a badass story narrative that is good for a playthrough on easy just to enjoy the story, then stick with God of War. If you want depth in your battle system, or graphics, go with Ninja Gaiden 2, because even on easy difficutly, this game will tear you apart until you learn to actually play better. It's an action game. No puzzles, throw away story, great graphics, bad camera, unbelievable difficulty, everything that a good action game has always had, back to Ninja Gaiden for the NES.

Perhaps you consider an action game composed primarily of platforming and puzzle solving to be rather boring, but many people would say the same thing about a game that's primarily composed of beating up the same braindead AI ad nauseum, the degree of difficulty notwithstanding.

Yes, the combat in GOW is much less trying, and a lot of Kratos' moves and attacks are very broken, but after having spoken with one of the combat designers(Derek Daniels), the game was meant to be this way so that a) everyone who played it would have a chance to beat it and b) the gameplay would flow smoothly between platforming, puzzle solving, and combat.

And seriously, since when does the degree of difficulty have anything at all to do with the quality of a game?

There are games that are considered to be the best in the history of gaming which are piss easy(several Mario and Sonic games come to mind).

Scrolling shooters like Dodonpachi Da-Ou-Jou or Mushihime-sama Futari are a hell of a lot harder than Ikaruga. Does that make them better games?

Consoles owned: Saturn, Dreamcast, PS1, PS2, PSP, DS, PS3

Lets put it this way. I've played GOW before and thats it. I played the devil may cry demo on the 360 and loved it and then I played the ng2 demo and I had to re-evaluate my view on the devil may cry demo. I'm going to buy NG2 after I get civ rev.

FaRmLaNd said:
Lets put it this way. I've played GOW before and thats it. I played the devil may cry demo on the 360 and loved it and then I played the ng2 demo and I had to re-evaluate my view on the devil may cry demo. I'm going to buy BG2 after I get civ rev.

NG2 gets better after the demo level. The camera issues are actually worse in that level because it has a lot of closed areas.

If you liked the demo, you'll like the full game for sure. Don't throw your controller at the screen though.

Edge have a bunch of idiots doing there reviews. I never trust there reviews, better to follow IGN and then Gamepsot.

Around the Network

Let's see what gamerankings.com says about these 3 series:

NG: 92,1 %
NG 2: 83,5 %

God of War: 93,2 %
God of War 2: 92,6 %
GOW PsP: 91,4 %

DMC: 92,3 %
DMC 2: 73 %
DMC 3: 84,1 %
DMC 4 (PS3): 84,1 %
DMC 4 (360): 83,7 %

So according to reviews God of war is better.
Do you guys want me to include NG black and sigma as well?
Because i only did sequels, prequels and original.

PSN ID: clemens-nl                                                                                                                

Kratos said:

According to gamerankings, Symphony of the Night is worse than God of War.

Gamerankings sucks for comparing games, especially since niche games aimed at a target audience are being reviewed by the same people who give GTAIV perfect 10s.

According to gamerankings, the Halo series blows any other series of games out of the water. Is laughable the right word? I think it is. If you contend that gamerankings is the scale by which we should compare games, then you also agree that Halo 3 is better than MGSIV, OOT is the best game of all time, and SMG is better than the 360 version of GTAIV.

Now, I'm not saying a ton of casual reviewers don't give GoW "originality" points for changing the genre up, I'm just saying don't call it a good brawler, cause it's not. It's a hybrid.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Kratos said:

On a serious note, I own all of these apart from GOW on PSP. And NG2 is far and away the best hack n slash. Why?
It's really rather simple. The only area where NG2 is outdone is story. Everything else is better. The battle system (which is like 80% the most important thing in these games) is so much better than the other series it's like GOW, DMC and HS are running in slo mo. Graphics are really good( have no idea what the reviewers were on) 60fps and loads of enemies together with good scenery not great. The thing is it feels like you hit the enemy in NG2 in say DMC or GOW it fells kind of non lethal and kiddy now.

Any post which contains "according to reviews" as its main point should be ignored.

According to reviews, many stupid things are true, and many true things aren't.

True Words.
Combat : NG2>GOW & DMC4.
God of war II is still awesome, storywise its more into than NG2 (Even if its not worthless). IMO.