By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Well A New Console Ever Show Up?

Just wanted to know if you guys think a new company or old company well all of a sudden start making gaming consoles (like Microsoft and Sony did) and then start dominating the market, it's been getting a bit old with the same three companys (Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo) for the past decade. The gaming market it getting huge so you would think a big company would want to try and invest into it with a console or even handheld.

So do you think a new console may show up in the next generation of consoles?

And what company do you think would dominate if entered into the wonderful world of gaming?

(I think Toshiba would be a very interesting company)

You can't help but root for the underdog, GO PS3!

End of 08' Sales

Wii:                      39.56

Xbox 360:           24.75

Playstation 3:     20.58

Around the Network

With each generation the barrier to entry in the market gets larger and larger, and at this point in time the only way a new console could appear is if a gigantic company (GE, Bank of America) decided to enter the market or a collection of large publishers (EA, Take-2, Namco-Bandai, and Capcom) decided to create a console.

Theres been speculation about Apple eyeing the game market. Techically, its been doable, as the GC had a Power PC (apple product). I think they'll flop hard for the first 2 gens, and it'd be hard to get exclusives, as Apple isnt known for gaming.

If EA expands outwards, they may create a hardware division too.

If there were a new company making game systems, i'm quite sure they would make a handheld.

It's not hard for me to imagine apple making a handheld.

PSN- williwod

Remember, there are no stupid questions. Just stupid people- Mr Garrison

I'm thinking that Apple is going to put out a system. Just a gut feeling that I get.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

Around the Network

unless its sega i would stick with sony, nintendo and microsoft, but who knows if the industry grows this gen we might see another company enter the race.

Wii/Mario Kart Wii Code:2793-0686-5434

2010, I think will be the year a new console will come out. New hand held will come out in 2009 I believe. PSP 2 is due out in 2009.

I think Apple will do it. They're catching up with Microsoft (software) and Sony (hardware) in the computer industry, beating the hell out of them in the Music industry--the game industry seems like the next logical step to me. They're also the only brand that could respectably compete with Wii2--they have pretty much the same brand image.

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."

I predict in November 2010 the new XBox will come out in USA. Hopefully it has a Blu-Ray player in it, 100% BC with 360 library and extra features (increased memory, improved hardware, 80GB HDD) retails for around $400 US.

apple might be able to pull it off, but it still we be very hard, a lot harder than getting into cellphones or mp3 players and dominating it.
its not only about getting the people to buy the console, its also about getting enough developers to trust them and start developing games to be ready for launch or soon after.

they definitely need a innovative concept to pull it off, and with the current apple brand and associations with it i personally find it much more likely that they would be aiming at portable market first.