By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox360 HD domination begins - 06/07/2008. $299 Pro is coming!

starcraft said:
TheRealMafoo said:
starcraft said:
We'll see what happens.

I'd settle for no spike and a permanent 30% increase in sales.

Umm... a 30% sales increase in the US would still put it firmly in 3rd place.

I agree they need to inform consumers that Rrod is gone. But you realize that this week, even post-MGS4, the Xbox 360 was already ahead of the PS3 in America. Add in the fact that Japanese PS3 sales are probably 10-15k above where they will settle, and a 30% increase in sales in America will see the Xbox 360 close behind the PS3. Certainly not "firmly" in third place.

In order to inform cosumer about RRoD being gone, don't they have to first accept it was a wide problem in the past?? If my memory serves me right, the number Microsoft had ever given us was the 3% failure rate.

now... it's hardly fair to tell the consumer that they have finally fixed the 3% failure rate, no?

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)
Around the Network
kingofwale said:

number was similar even BEFORE the release of MGS4.

Also, Xbox's brand name is MUCH stronger in US than PS3 had in Europe, and I don't remember seeing such boost of late.

So you're saying that MGS4 was completely ineffective?

And you realize that the PS3's sales WERE boosted permanantly due to its enormous price cut right?

And I have NEVER seen you argue that the Xbox's brand name is anywhere close to the PS3's ANYWHERE until this exact moment when it clearly is just crap that suits you're argument.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

starcraft said:
TheRealMafoo said:
starcraft said:
We'll see what happens.

Umm... a 30% sales increase in the US would still put it firmly in 3rd place.

I agree they need to inform consumers that Rrod is gone.  But you realize that this week, even post-MGS4, the Xbox 360 was already ahead of the PS3 in America.  Add in the fact that Japanese PS3 sales are probably 10-15k above where they will settle, and a 30% increase in sales in America will see the Xbox 360 close behind the PS3.  Certainly not "firmly" in third place.

This always happens. the 360 just got a price cut. That means between now and that price cut, sales will go down (as everyone will wait).

A lot of people bought the MGS bundle, and a lot still want to. There are none at the moment to be had, so people wait.

Looking at this weeks sales and thinking it has anything to do with a trend, is just as wrong as looking at last weeks for a trend.

kingofwale said:

In order to inform cosumer about RRoD being gone, don't they have to first accept it was a wide problem in the past?? If my memory serves me right, the number Microsoft had ever given us was the 3% failure rate.

now... it's hardly fair to tell the consumer that they have finally fixed the 3% failure rate, no?

I don't trust you're memory.  Link?

Just recently, a Microsoft executive came out and said it was a GPU issue that would have been fixed if they'd hired a GPU intermediary.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

A 30% permanent sales increase? very extreme wouldn't you agree?

Judging by the timing of the price cut, I bet this has to do with some important change... Or maybe a lack of one? The timing is right before E3...

flames_of - "I think you're confusing Bush with Chuck Norris."

Wii: 80-85 Million end of 2009 (1.1.09)

Around the Network
starcraft said:
kingofwale said:

number was similar even BEFORE the release of MGS4.

Also, Xbox's brand name is MUCH stronger in US than PS3 had in Europe, and I don't remember seeing such boost of late.

So you're saying that MGS4 was completely ineffective?

And you realize that the PS3's sales WERE boosted permanantly due to its enormous price cut right?

And I have NEVER seen you argue that the Xbox's brand name is anywhere close to the PS3's ANYWHERE until this exact moment when it clearly is just crap that suits you're argument.

I'm saying PS3 received boost without MGS4, a third party software did great, although quite hard to push hardware when the hardware itself weren't there.

Somehow 100 dollars price cut by PS3 is more effective than the 100 dollars price cut by Microsoft. weird stuff.

I find it funny how you won't accept the fact xbox has HUGE amount of brand power in US. Frankly, i didn't need to argue it before because I thought it was obvious to everyone, but you have proven me wrong.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:

In the US, almost every gamer I know who does not have a PS3, wants one. They just are not willing to spend what it cost to buy one. When that is your market, price cuts make a huge difference.

The 360 is not in the same position. Most people who want one, have one. The ones that don't, don't because they are not interested in owning one. When that is your position in the market, price cuts are less effective.

That's why you saw a permanent increase in the PS3, and I think you will see less of one with the 360.

TheRealMafoo said:
starcraft said:
TheRealMafoo said:
starcraft said:
We'll see what happens.

Umm... a 30% sales increase in the US would still put it firmly in 3rd place.

I agree they need to inform consumers that Rrod is gone.  But you realize that this week, even post-MGS4, the Xbox 360 was already ahead of the PS3 in America.  Add in the fact that Japanese PS3 sales are probably 10-15k above where they will settle, and a 30% increase in sales in America will see the Xbox 360 close behind the PS3.  Certainly not "firmly" in third place.

This always happens. the 360 just got a price cut. That means between now and that price cut, sales will go down (as everyone will wait).

A lot of people bought the MGS bundle, and a lot still want to. There are none at the moment to be had, so people wait.

Looking at this weeks sales and thinking it has anything to do with a trend, is just as wrong as looking at last weeks for a trend.

Theres also been a lol of speculation that Microsoft would drop the price later in the year. Many people who are patient would have waited until now to buy the console. I predict a decent spike from the enthusiast crowd who will pick up their first/another console now, and a sustained increase from the general market.

Remember that since gas prices etc have increased markedly, peoples purchasing power has dropped quite a lot so a price cut of $50 is more significant now than before the drop in relative purchasing power. Its all relative you see.

Tease.

Microsoft's home base is North America, and is their best market...
By the way King, where is you avatar from?

flames_of - "I think you're confusing Bush with Chuck Norris."

Wii: 80-85 Million end of 2009 (1.1.09)

starcraft said:
kingofwale said:

I don't trust you're memory. Link?

Just recently, a Microsoft executive came out and said it was a GPU issue that would have been fixed if they'd hired a GPU intermediary.

well, how am I not surprised?
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/microsoft-responds-to-watchdog
http://www.gamedaily.com/articles/features/ms-denies-ea-employee-claim-of-high-failure-rates-among-x360s/69358/?biz=1

http://www.gamedaily.com/articles/features/ms-denies-ea-employee-claim-of-high-failure-rates-among-x360s/69358/?biz=1

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2007/may/31/guardianweeklytechnologysection

You know me, and I know you, posting just 1 source is sure to give you all worked up with the "oh, just 1 place" comment, so I posted 4

selnor
Episode 2: