By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - An Idea For Nintendo: Alleviating The Anti Core Gamer Misconception

If it ain't broken, don't fix it.

Around the Network

Bring in more shooters.

Have we had:

...awesome 3D Mario? Yes.
...awesome 3D Metroid? Yes.
...awesome Zelda? Yes.
...awesome Smash Bros.? Yes.
...awesome Mario Kart? Yes.

People who still believe Nintendo hasn't served the core gamer should look in their library, see those five games and see how wrong they are themselves, without Nintendo having to do anything.

Well, I for one think this is quite a marvelous idea. Would certainly help Nintendo, and a 3rd party game seems like a very smart move too. However, IF they would decide to bundle a 3rd party game, they would be better off bundling something a little less violent or adult. I mean, honestly, most soccermoms, grandmas and Joe-next-door's girlfriend are not going to be impressed by a WWII shooter or a hardcore horror game. It'll just turn people off, thus having the opposite effect. It'd be a far smarter and safer choice to include a hardcore game that appeals to a wider range of people, like indeed, Sonic, or maybe something like Zack & Wiki.

While we're on the subject, I also think it'd be a great idea for Nintendo to include an already-installed sample of VC/Wii Ware games with every Wii. Like a demo (or maybe an entire game). Lost Winds would be nice. Just to give consumers a taste of what's available online. 'Cos a lot of people have no idea. I know a lot of casuals who own a Wii but haven't bothered to go online and see what's available games-wise in Nintendo's online store. Would be hugely profitable, I think.

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

The problem is that core games aren't directly benefitted by what the Wii does well. And if they are, they can't equally benefit from better production values in other areas because of the limitations of the Wii.

Meanwhile, Boom Blox and Blast Works are fun. Enjoy the games that are on the Wii. Nintendo isn't going to change strategies.

For all those saying "if it ain't broke..." need to realize that Sony said the same thing the 10 years before the Wii and 360.

Around the Network

FPS and RTS benefit directly from the Wii, although the later still couldn't be done well with the standard Wii controller set-up. The core games don't suffer from the Wii's limitations either really. Is Resident Evil 4 suddenly a terrible game? Absolutely not. Gameplay will always define a game more than anything else.

As for the OP, I don't think they really need to work that hard for it. If this is what sales are like with the core gamer spurned, then I don't think anyone at Nintendo is losing sleep over not having them. It is important to try and cater to as broad an audience as possible, and that is what they have been doing since release. I would guess the big talk of the E3 core gamer revival is just a side-effect of them having a few core games to announce and figured they could get some positive press out of it. I honestly don't expect more than maybe 2 games (and that is being extremely optimistic) to be announced and websites will go off clamouring about how Nintendo clearly doesn't care about the core gamer.

Looking to the future isn't going to change their mind either. The casual gamer the Wii targetted is clearly a larger market than the core gamer targetted by the 360 and PS3. Continued sales of the PS2 is also pretty strong evidence that most people do not want the latest and greatest in cutting edge technology, but want what is the most fun to play.

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229

@Gnizmo: The core gamer isn't spurned, only the "whiny internet-forum-nerd gamer" is. That is painfully obvious when you look at PS3/360 sales as compared to sales of the previous generation (i.e. they're significantly lower, meaning the Wii stole a lot gamers from them).

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Gnizmo: I really enjoyed RE4...years ago on the PS2. I would not want RE5 to look and play the same.

If they really wanted to appeal to core gamers, The first thing i think they should do is make a deeper online components to their games. Infact, it think it would be better to bundle an online game with the wii then zelda or sonic. Perhaps Call of duty 5?

And also, if they want to attract core gamers, nintendo needs to get 3rd parties to create some good, non-casual games for the wii.

They should Not only make more online games, but also add voice-chat, and create games that do not use friend codes. they should also make a bigger harddrive, to download game demos, downloadable content, etc.

Of course, i'm not saying that they should abbandon things such as friend codes completely. They just need to create some games that appeal to core gamers, too, and allow them to play online without any hassle.

PSN- williwod

Remember, there are no stupid questions. Just stupid people- Mr Garrison

There's absolutely no need for this. Wii is on an average week outselling its 2 rivals combined and is obviously still supply constrained in US in general and in other places from time to time. Why should Nintendo reduce its profits by throwing in an extra free game?

When Wii is no longer supply constrained and not selling as much as it currently is, or the HD consoles are matching or almost matching it in sales then Nintendo can consider throwing in a free core game, or introducing new colours or cutting the price. For now Nintendo doesn't need to take any such action.

Biggest Pikmin Fan on VGChartz I was chosen by default due to voting irregularities

Super Smash Brawl Code 1762-4158-5677 Send me a message if you want to receive a beat down