By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - MGS4 has shipped 3 million copies WW for the first 2 weeks

i want it to do 5millions

Around the Network
kowenicki said:
Munkeh111 said:
They imply that 1m have been sold in Europe, we have 700k...

SHIPPED for christ sake.

This time it says "With Metal Gear Solid 4 confirmed at half a million sales in Japan and one million in Europe" But it then goes onto say that the question is how much has it sold overall with 3m shipped. This may just be a mistake by IGN, but that is what they are saying. Anyway we know that 1m figure was for 1st week, and so we are beyond that anyway

Great news. :)

Don't expect IGN to accurately portray the difference between sold and shipped units. That concept is lost with many sites, which just blindly quote from company's press releases without checking the usage of their terms. When Konami said "sales" in their press release, they meant sales to retailers, which was obvious if you read the whole press release.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

darthdevidem01 said:

Problem is no-one really knows.....we don't know how much it cost..and if it was so huge why wasn't the matter publicized by other sites & made a huge issue....we don't know how much money SONY gave them for the production (to keep it PS3 exclusivE) and so on...

there are so many factors at work here....

Yeah, exactly no one knows, but a couple of months back the 70 millions numbers came from another dev, and Konami or Sony didn't denial this, so probably he was very close...

By me:

Made with Blender + LuxRender
"Since you can´t understand ... there is no point to taking you seriously."
Around the Network
starcraft said:
How many copies did they have to sell to be profitable?

The game could have been the third most expensive of this generation after GTAIV and KZ2, but at 3 million shipped, you'd think they'd have to have profited already (I mean you'd really have to hope so).

You know that Killzone is more expensive how? Killzone 2 is said to have a budget of around 40 million while GTA4 had a budget around 100 million. How do you know MGS4 didnt take 120 million to produce? I actually think MGS had a higher budget then Killzone 2 but lower then GTA4.

fgsduilfgasuklwgefidslzfgb4yiogwefhawi4fbielat5gy240bh3e

roadkillers said:
starcraft said:
How many copies did they have to sell to be profitable?

The game could have been the third most expensive of this generation after GTAIV and KZ2, but at 3 million shipped, you'd think they'd have to have profited already (I mean you'd really have to hope so).

You know that Killzone is more expensive how? Killzone 2 is said to have a budget of around 40 million while GTA4 had a budget around 100 million. How do you know MGS4 didnt take 120 million to produce? I actually think MGS had a higher budget then Killzone 2 but lower then GTA4.

Actually the most recent rumours about KZ2's budget were from about 5 or 6 months ago and pegged it to have blown out to over $60 million.  At the end of the day Guerilla has MASSIVELY expanded to accomodate that game's production AND its pawning some technical work off on other Sony studios.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

NJ5 said:
Munkeh111 said:
NJ5 said:

What's the problem with 1.3 million copies sitting on shelves? That's about double the number of PS3s usually sitting on shelves, and as you know games are much smaller than PS3 boxes.

Well actually, there were 1.5 sitting on shelves after their last shipment reports

I see. I was going by last year's numbers, I guess it fluctuates a lot. In any case, it shows that 1.3 million MGS4 copies sitting on shelves/warehouses/trucks is no problem at all.

darthdevidem01 was too quick to jump on the "undertracked bandwagon".

Then again, that would mean that every game would ship 1m.... I still think it is undertracked. There would probably less difference between sold and shipped because there would be more frequent shipments of software

Munkeh111 said:

Then again, that would mean that every game would ship 1m.... I still think it is undertracked. There would probably less difference between sold and shipped because there would be more frequent shipments of software

Of course it wouldn't mean so. Pay attention - I'm not saying the game ISN'T undertracked. What I'm saying is that it's quite plausible that it isn't. It's different, thus the "jumping on the undertracked bandwagon" comment.

A store around here has dozens of copies of Gears Of War, but only a few of other games. Obviously, some games have more units sitting on shelves than others.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

taking into account that ps3 has zero piracy i think that mgs4 ltd sales will be over 5 million maybe over 6 million.And in 1-2 years we will see an improved version of mgs4 like with previous mgs4 that will easily sell more than 3 million ,so the whole mgs4 project will end selling more than 8 million