By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Playstation Home - If it ever appears on PS3, will it be worth the wait?

starcraft said:
MikeB said:

I understand mostly 360 fans are usually highly sceptical, it's not on the 360.

Except Techblorge is a highly PS3-biased website. And they have been HIGHLY sceptical of Home lately.

Unfortunately, as some other people in this thread have pointed out, it looks like Home won't be of a quality significant enough to justify the amount of time people have been waiting for it.

Even if it is free.

I think if something is worth the wait or not will for most people be decided when they have it in their hands. Quality products take a lot of time to develop, ironing out the little bugs and doing minor tweaks and optimisations can make a lot of difference. Was the new PSN store worth the wait, will firmware 2.4 be worth the wait, I think a lot of people have and will change their minds once they have the polished results in their hands.

IMO the potential of Home is much greater than any new exclusive game by itself which may sell up to 6-8 million copies during its lifetime if hugely successful. Playstation Home on the other hand provides another additional reason to get online with the PS3, both online multiplayer as well as Home are free and there's the potential of possible 10s of millions of users over time.

Perspectives of people will envolve with future updates, additional content, more games tapping into home, improved home support in games, etc. Just like the perspectives of the PS3 XMB have changed with the addition of user customizations (themes), PS1/PS2/DVD upscaling, latest Blu-Ray specifications support, new Store, etc.

There's so much Sony has been and is working on to deliver much requested features and options.

PlayTV:

http://www.cnet.co.uk/i/c/blg/cat/gamesgear/ps3_playtv/playtv_5.jpg

New Video Store:

http://i25.tinypic.com/5eacjq.jpg

PSN Cards:

http://www.superhonda.com/photopost/data/517/medium/p_00004.jpg

The overall Playstation 3 experience will envolve a lot, there's just so much potential for Sony to add to the experience. The 360 will mainly stay as is and IMO won't evolve that much, not in terms of provided features (due to earlier mentioned specifications) nor with regard to gaming (the PS3 has a lot more untapped performance potential).

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

Around the Network

I gave up caring for home last year when it was delayed. It looks interesting to walk around for awhile, but i think it will be useless, it does nothing to help anything. Maybe they should of hired some Sony teams that can make games before this gen is over. Or Maybe up the Polyphony digital team by 50 to 100 percent.

Duke Nukem Forever moved into Sony's Playstation Home.  ^_^

Words Of Wisdom said:

Duke Nukem Forever moved into Sony's Playstation Home.  ^_^

WIN!!!

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

I guess it depends on how much worth you assign to the time you waited. If someone is thinking this will be the end all to online gaming, they'll probably be a bit disappointed. If you just want to casually check it out, then it'll be worth it. Once it gets off the ground it'll probably be a selling point, even if it isn't implemented all that well.

Owner of PS4 Pro, Xbox One, Switch, PS Vita, and 3DS

Around the Network

It will be another disappointment and heck I bet MS can make a better one anyway. They make tons of $ from XBL so if needed they would have no problem making a better one without all the delays.

it will be okay i'm trying not expecting much so i don't dissapoint myself.

End of 2008 Sales:

Wii- 39 Million 360- 25Million PS3- 22 Million

PSN: papasmurf5721

I didn't have very high expectations for Home. So whatever they do with it when they release it won't be too much of a difference to me. It's just an "extra", so everybody else shouldn't be expecting too much of it either. So was it "worth" the wait? Well, Home, being a free optional service, shouldn't have a "worth", whether it involves time or not.

But the fact that Sony is expecting it to be a huge take-off success makes everybody else expect a lot out of it. Which they shouldn't. But whatever. Sony kinda ruined it for themselves, unfortunately.

Sony will prevail. My 60 gig says so.

PlayStation 3 Games:

- Rock Band
- Rock Band 2
- Soulcalibur IV
- LittleBigPlanet
- Guitar Hero: World Tour

Kinda hard to say until it actually comes out. I'm not expecting much out of it, so it'll be hard to disappoint me, but who knows, maybe it'll be great.

Currently Playing:  Saints Row 2 | Battlefield 2 | Company of Heroes

Recently Beaten: Gears of War | Super Mario Galaxy | Darwinia | MGS4 | Sam and Max Ep. 4, Portal | Mirror's Edge | Uncharted | Mass Effect

Looking Forward to: Alan Wake | Splinter Cell : Conviction | The Last Guardian | Batman: Arkham Asylum | SMG2 | Mass Effect 2 |

Honestly, I didn't care much for Home in the first place... or in game XMB or trophies. I'm happy with just playing the game single/multi and being able to download demos.