By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

i use it for some days now and like it so far. One last problem i have is that my last TAB-Addon isn't working... Anyone knows a good addon which gives me a button for "creating new tab" and the funktion to reopen closed Tabs?

Around the Network

Funny topic :D I just installed FireFox a few hours ago for the first time in 10 years :) Been using Avant for years

I must say FireFox is smooth, I like it

Although I still prefer Avant because it offers more and is more customizable, but FireFox aint bad, ill keep it as my default and give Avant a bit of a break :P

tmbh said:
I love it, one problem though.

When I open my Bookmarks I right click on them and 'open in new tab' but it only lets me do this once then the option fades out until I click on a new page or open and close my bookmarks again. Very annoying!

I don't get exactly the problem, but you can open a bookmark (or a page in the history) in another tab by middle-clicking it. At least it saves you the trouble of opening the contextual menu

el_ciprés said:

i use it for some days now and like it so far. One last problem i have is that my last TAB-Addon isn't working... Anyone knows a good addon which gives me a button for "creating new tab" and the funktion to reopen closed Tabs?

I don't know any add-on, but until you get it, you can use the keyboard shortcuts as a temporary solution:

Ctrl+T to open a new tab

Ctrl+Shift+T to open the last closed tab (you can do this multiple times, to reopen any tab you've closed

nordlead said:
I like it, but I hate the new feature they added where when you type a web address, it tries to fill out site information, and the web address is below that.

Does anyone know if you can change it so it just shows the web addresses only?

Yes there is an add on for firefox that allows you to have it like it was in Firefox 2. If I find it for you I will post it.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/ if you want to try searching for it yourself if I cant find it, here's the add on page for firefox.

EDIT: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/6227 found it. Hope this helps you.

At first when I got Firefox 3 the site seemed to load slow, but now it's fine!

Around the Network
Gnosis said:
nordlead said:
I like it, but I hate the new feature they added where when you type a web address, it tries to fill out site information, and the web address is below that.

Yes there is an add on for firefox that allows you to have it like it was in Firefox 2. If I find it for you I will post it.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/ if you want to try searching for it yourself if I cant find it, here's the add on page for firefox.

I hate that feature as well as it's kinda dumb. For example, when I type "the" in the address bar for let's say theonion.com, I get kotaku first because Kotaku is "Kotaku, the gamer's guide". It's so stupid. Obviously, if I want kotaku, I'll type "ko".

How many cups of darkness have I drank over the years? Even I don't know...

nordlead said:

It's a machine learning thing. After a while, it will begin to "read your mind". Adapt to it - instead of entering web addresses enter a word that you know is associated with the site - the choices will match the word.

Godot said:
Gnosis said:
nordlead said:

I hate that feature as well as it's kinda dumb. For example, when I type "the" in the address bar for let's say theonion.com, I get kotaku first because Kotaku is "Kotaku, the gamer's guide". It's so stupid. Obviously, if I want kotaku, I'll type "ko".

I actually like the feature and find it useful if I only remember on perticular thing about a certain website. I haven't yet encountered the problem you're speaking of. Though I'm sure I will at some point. But at the moment, I find it highly useful.

Gnosis said:
nordlead said:

EDIT: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/6227 found it. Hope this helps you.

Thanks Gnosis, but it only fixes how it looks, not how it works. I like that it displays it the old way, but it doesn't fix the searching on site content.

For example, if I want to go to NintendoWiiFanboy, it sometimes insists on putting VGChartz nintendo related articles up to the top. Oh well.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

nordlead said:

Try either of these options.

Option A: Disable autocomplete drop-down entirely

Use this if you don’t want Firefox to display any kind of suggestions in the Address Bar be they from your browsing history or from saved bookmarks.

Open the about:config page and set the value of browser.urlbar.maxRichResults as –1. Restart Firefox and your Firefox 3 address bar will behave just like that of Firefox 2.

Option B: See web addresses that you have typed

In this option, the drop-drop remains enabled but it will only suggest website addresses / URLs that you have previously typed in the location bar.

Open about:config and set the value of browser.urlbar.matchonlytyped to False. Now none of the entries from your browser history or bookmarks will appear in the ‘awesome’ address bar.

Option C: Remove Bookmarks Completely from Address Bar

This is probably the option you are looking for. Firefox 3 uses the Frecency score to determine sites that should appear in the drop-down. We can set frecency value for bookmarks to zero and thus they won’t appear in the location bar.

Open the about:config page, and set value of places.frecency.unvisitedBookmarkBonus and places.frecency.bookmarkVisitBonus to zero.

Setting places.frecency.unvisitedBookmarkBonus to 0 will prevent bookmarks from appearing that you have never visited while places.frecency.bookmarkVisitBonus will prevent display of bookmarks that you have visited since the last time you cleared private data in Firefox.

Restart Firefox. Anything that has a frecency value of zero doesn not show up in autocomplete results and thus your bookmarks won’t turn in the suggestions anymore.

http://www.labnol.org/software/browsers/prevent-firefox-showing-bookmarks-address-location-bar/3636/

The rEVOLution is not being televised