By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - IGN reviews alone in the dark: 3.5/10

Ouch. Phil must be happy about this one.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

Around the Network
akuma587 said:
Ouch. Phil must be happy about this one.

Why wouldn't he be happy about it?

http://www.oxm.co.uk/article.php?id=4881

http://www.actiontrip.com/reviews/360/aloneinthedark.phtml

To quote the first review as this is exactly how I feel about the game -

"When push comes to terrifying shove, this is still a recommended title, despite its problematic control scheme and occasional glitches. Yet they do drag down what could have been a triple-A classic into awesome B-movie territory.

Do yourself a favour and stick with it, though, because Alone in the Dark is something different in today's market of identikit games."

TheRealMafoo said:
Bodhesatva said:

This is it. This is the end. Not of Atari, but of the last crap that is pre-Harrison. From now on, we can assume that most or all games made by Atari are Harrison approved; they're going the social gaming route.

Phil will right this ship, I have faith.

Didn't he become President on March 3rd? This one falls on his shoulders, sorry.

Yeah, b/c in 3 months Phil had plenty of time to make this game great. He sucks. I wish he'd have left Sony earlier so we wouldn't get stuff like LittleBigPlanet....

My Top 5:

Shadow of the Colossus, Metal Gear Solid 3, Shenmue, Skies of Arcadia, Chrono Trigger

My 2 nex-gen systems: PS3 and Wii

Prediction Aug '08: We see the PSP2 released fall '09. Graphically, it's basically the same as the current system. UMD drive ditched and replaced by 4-8gb on board flash memory. Other upgrades: 2nd analog nub, touchscreen, blutooth, motion sensor. Design: Flip-style or slider. Size: Think Iphone. Cost: $199. Will be profitable on day 1.

jman8 said:
TheRealMafoo said:
Bodhesatva said:

This is it. This is the end. Not of Atari, but of the last crap that is pre-Harrison. From now on, we can assume that most or all games made by Atari are Harrison approved; they're going the social gaming route.

Didn't he become President on March 3rd? This one falls on his shoulders, sorry.

Yeah, b/c in 3 months Phil had plenty of time to make this game great. He sucks. I wish he'd have left Sony earlier so we wouldn't get stuff like LittleBigPlanet....

He could have postponed it for a year, or canceld it all together. All I am saying is if you think this game sucking is Atari's fault, you can excempt the man runing the company. It comes with the job.

IGN reviews suck.....

Wii console: 0595 8808 5698 2709
Super Smash Bros Brawl: 1161 1357 5188

Mario Kart Wii: 1633 4506 4319

PES 2008: 1633 5820 0347

DragonBall Z BT 3: 3823 9760 9484

Pokemon Battle Revolution: 3480 2645 9186
Feel free to add me, and sent me a pm with your Friend Code!!

Around the Network

I like Phil, this just isn't a good note to enter a company on. It isn't his fault though, as the game was in development LONG before he got there. Just guilty by association.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

TheRealMafoo said:
jman8 said:
TheRealMafoo said:
Bodhesatva said:

He could have postponed it for a year, or canceld it all together. All I am saying is if you think this game sucking is Atari's fault, you can excempt the man runing the company. It comes with the job.

Neither of the two options you presented are at all financially feasible. It's pretty well-known Atari is in dire financial straits. Delaying the game would only cost more money and cancelling the game three months away from launch after 2 and 1/2 years of time and money have been invested in the game is ridiculous. The fact of the matter is that Phil Harrison oversaw a tiny fraction of the development of this game. By your logic, the guy should be fired for his handling of the game. 

My Top 5:

Shadow of the Colossus, Metal Gear Solid 3, Shenmue, Skies of Arcadia, Chrono Trigger

My 2 nex-gen systems: PS3 and Wii

Prediction Aug '08: We see the PSP2 released fall '09. Graphically, it's basically the same as the current system. UMD drive ditched and replaced by 4-8gb on board flash memory. Other upgrades: 2nd analog nub, touchscreen, blutooth, motion sensor. Design: Flip-style or slider. Size: Think Iphone. Cost: $199. Will be profitable on day 1.

@ TheRealMafoo )

and how much more time would you have given the game,hm? 1year, 2 years, 3 years ?

Come on, it was nearly completely done when Harrison joined Atari and, judging by the reviews I read and videos I saw, there are main elements of this game which would've to be redone, like the story, the characters (from what I've read the main chara is a real douche and "Sarah" is the most annoying, useless and athmosphere killing female to ever apear in a game) and many passages, which are only possible to finish with frustrating trial and error (or that dvd fast forward option, but really.. in my opinion there is nothing less motivating to play a game than not even having to play it to get to the end).

Face it, the game had to be released now to minimize the loss and to be able to financially support projects with a brighter outlook.

@ topic)

a shame this game didn't turn out well, because the trailers with that fantastic and different music really managed to get me interested in AitD5, although I never got into earlier installments (I hated the demo for AitD3)

Guys, this game is not out on the ps3. It is the xbox fanboys saying that this is more fun than MGS4. Honestly, 3.5/10, even Haze got more than this. Just a load of crap.

Wow, I can't believe anyone could possibly blame Phil Harrison for this. Phil Harrison joined Atari 3 months ago. This game was announced nearly three years ago.

http://www.joystiq.com/2005/10/05/alone-in-the-dark-announced-for-xbox-360/

The game likely went gold about a month ago, giving him ~2 months to have any impact on the game whatsoever. Atari's next round of games are Phil's burden.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">