By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - roller coaster tycoon sucked?

The rights to it are now in Ataris hands and Chris Sawyer (maker of the game) hasnt updated his personal site since 2005 or so. Seeing as that Atari almost went completely under and released a HD game that is bombing with critics on most accounts, I dont see them dumping much money into a pretty old IP at this moment, which is sad, because I loved the first two, though didnt like where they took it with the 3rd.

I own all three current consoles and a great gaming rig, now thats out of the way.

This space Reserved for the Nuggets of Wisdom dropped by Bladeforce:

"Why post something like this when all it will get is PS3 owners blinded to reality replying? BOTH THE PS3 AND BLUE-RAY WILL NOT LAST 3 YEARS! TECHNOLOGY CHANGED TOO FAST!"

"is it Wii FIt that has sold as many as PS3's sold? Thats a LOL Look at the total sales of software is it just me that sees Nintendo titles hitting 10m+ and you say they arent making a difference? Another LOL!"

"Hell, with all the negative hype Sony spin, people just aren't interested cost is too high and to get the true HD experience (1080p, 7.1 surround) you will need a $1000+ system. THAT IS GOING TO DO IT IN A RECESSION! PS4 will not happen"

Around the Network

Maybe Chris Sawyer could buy the property after atari flounders?

And that's the only thing I need is *this*. I don't need this or this. Just this PS4... And this gaming PC. - The PS4 and the Gaming PC and that's all I need... And this Xbox 360. - The PS4, the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360, and that's all I need... And these PS3's. - The PS4, and these PS3's, and the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360... And this Nintendo DS. - The PS4, this Xbox 360, and the Gaming PC, and the PS3's, and that's all *I* need. And that's *all* I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one... I need this. - The Gaming PC and PS4, and Xbox 360, and thePS3's . Well what are you looking at? What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - And this. That's all I need.

Obligatory dick measuring Gaming Laptop Specs: Sager NP8270-GTX: 17.3" FULL HD (1920X1080) LED Matte LC, nVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M, Intel Core i7-4700MQ, 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3, 750GB SATA II 3GB/s 7,200 RPM Hard Drive

thekitchensink said:
I don't follow your line of logic--a series doesn't suck when it's a trilogy and each has at least two expansions.

did you just read the title?

And that's the only thing I need is *this*. I don't need this or this. Just this PS4... And this gaming PC. - The PS4 and the Gaming PC and that's all I need... And this Xbox 360. - The PS4, the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360, and that's all I need... And these PS3's. - The PS4, and these PS3's, and the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360... And this Nintendo DS. - The PS4, this Xbox 360, and the Gaming PC, and the PS3's, and that's all *I* need. And that's *all* I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one... I need this. - The Gaming PC and PS4, and Xbox 360, and thePS3's . Well what are you looking at? What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - And this. That's all I need.

Obligatory dick measuring Gaming Laptop Specs: Sager NP8270-GTX: 17.3" FULL HD (1920X1080) LED Matte LC, nVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M, Intel Core i7-4700MQ, 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3, 750GB SATA II 3GB/s 7,200 RPM Hard Drive

Strategyking92 said:
Maybe Chris Sawyer could buy the property after atari flounders?

I think if he got another company to help him buy it he could, that would put enough money on the table to make it lucrative to Atari to skip on the potential long term gains of making another one themselves. Though they dont own many rights anymore, so maybe that will push them to make another one.

I own all three current consoles and a great gaming rig, now thats out of the way.

This space Reserved for the Nuggets of Wisdom dropped by Bladeforce:

"Why post something like this when all it will get is PS3 owners blinded to reality replying? BOTH THE PS3 AND BLUE-RAY WILL NOT LAST 3 YEARS! TECHNOLOGY CHANGED TOO FAST!"

"is it Wii FIt that has sold as many as PS3's sold? Thats a LOL Look at the total sales of software is it just me that sees Nintendo titles hitting 10m+ and you say they arent making a difference? Another LOL!"

"Hell, with all the negative hype Sony spin, people just aren't interested cost is too high and to get the true HD experience (1080p, 7.1 surround) you will need a $1000+ system. THAT IS GOING TO DO IT IN A RECESSION! PS4 will not happen"

I loved the second one, but I never really got into the third (never played the first) Then I got a PS2 and stopped PC gaming at all...

Not trying to be a fanboy. Of course, it's hard when you own the best console eve... dang it

Around the Network

I've got them all (with all their expansions) and loved the second one. The third one was a bit complex to handle and more difficult on career mode, but you could build absolutely everything and there were so many different rides, it was pure fun to create your amusement park in sandbox mode.

I would love to see a fourth iteration.

I LOVED Roller Coaster Tycoon!!! & 2!!!! (See name) Not really 3, because it was too different from the first 2.
I wish they made a 4th one, but the chances of it being made, & actually being good are slim.
BTW, I'm back from camp!!!

I loved RCT1, but never played the others.

I seem to recall that you had to play their preset tutorials, which were a lot of fun, but after I beat them all I wanted a big sandbox to build something from scratch.

"[Our former customers] are unable to find software which they WANT to play."
"The way to solve this problem lies in how to communicate what kind of games [they CAN play]."

Satoru Iwata, Nintendo President. Only slightly paraphrased.