By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - With great power comes great futility!

The Super Nintendo is the only console to be the most powerful of its generation and the best-selling of its generation. Every other generation the most powerful either prices itself out of the market or is too hard to develop for, or both.

For those arguing the Genesis was more powerful than the Super Nintendo, find me a multiplatform game with some screenshots or links to descriptions/comparisons of both. Because I remember Mortal Kombat and NBA Jam being waaaaaay better on the Super Nintendo. And as stated earlier, Genesis had nothing on Donkey Kong Country.

For those arguing PS2>GC, Resident Evil 4 is the game that shows each system's strengths and weaknesses. When ported from GC to PS2, the game went from 2 discs to 1 disc, highlighting the PS2's larger media format. However, this was at the cost of making the game look like total ass, because the PS2 was not as powerful as the GC.

Around the Network

COINCIDENCES!

I REFUSE TO BELIEVE ANYTHING ANYONE ELSE SAYS SINCE THEY ARE WRONG AND I AM ALWAYS RIGHT!

Kimi wa ne tashika ni ano toki watashi no soba ni ita

Itsudatte itsudatte itsudatte

Sugu yoko de waratteita

Nakushitemo torimodosu kimi wo

I will never leave you

sc94597 said:
Mifely said:
Joelcool7 said:
Mifely said:
but I don't think you could actually claim them to be "better" looking... just "as good", or nearly so).

I would argue that your list correlates just as much to "installed base" as it does to the inverse of computing power -- since installed base goes up with earlier console releases, and CPU power goes down with earlier releases (when considering competition), this makes sense.

You are somewhat correct. But I notice in your argument you only name a few of the more polished GameCube games. Take ResidentEvil4 and ResidentEvil4 on PS2 and sit them side by side and you see the hardware's differances. Capcom tried as hard as they could to directly port RE4 but the PS2 version still looked a little grainy and not as polished as its GameCube counter part. Infact it has been argued that GameCube's ATi/IBM proccessors made it almost as powerful as the X-Box.

You did name some of the best looking games on the PS2 and yes they do look pretty good. But to be honest GodOfWar2 and Shadow Of the Collosus. Games like Sega's Spartan Total War and EternalDarkness which I'd say are the closest game's to GodOfWar on a genre basis do look just as good if not better then their PS2 counter parts. Take a look at Konami's MetalGearSolid:TwinSnakes and compare it to MetalGearSolid3 for example. You can see the differance in hardware strength.

Installed Base plays a role to me but not much of one. PS2 had the largest installed base and PS3 sold worth crap. The Super Nintendo had the largest installed base (From NES/GameBoy) yet the N64 bombed compared to the PlayStation. Brand loyalty does play a role. GameCube is the perfect example it survived pretty much on loyal gamers and hardcore gamers who bought all three systems.

But I don't think even installed base plays the big role. I think its all about game quantity, many would argue Nintendo has always had the best first party titles, yet it still failed with 64 and GameCube. It was quantity that won the PS2's battle and now with Wii it isn't the high quality first party software winning the war alone. It's the quantity of party games shovel ware and innovative software.

It's quantity that wins console wars unfortunetly!

I have to disagree with the cross-platform comparisons -- the GC was considerably easier to develop for than the PS2, and thus most cross-platform games were shorted on the PS2, because the developer iterated faster by developing on the GC/XBox primarily. If you want to compare two consoles via software, the best way to do it, is to compare exclusives -- where the developer had to focus on the console at hand. Cross-platform games *always* have a console bias, due to the fact that its just plain easier for a dev studio to support one platform of development (from every standpoint, but especially IT, meaning having every engineer/artist/designer have the same kind of devkit, dev software, and working build) as a primary, and assign a small team to ensure that their engine ports to the other platforms throughout development.

RE4 was built primarily on the GC, by a Japanese development studio that favored Nintendo development over Microsoft development. You can compare it to an exclusive, like God of War, but comparing it to its PS2 counterpart is actually a bit unfair.

As I said, the PS2 and GC exclusives are actually quite similar, graphically, in my opinion. You could argue that, despite "real" hardware performance being similar, that the PS2s much greater learning curve effectively lowered its games' performance over the console's lifetime. I would definately say that's true... and frankly, that's what matters in the end to the user. In that sense, the only sense that matters, the PS2 was the slowest of its generation.

In the current generation, the same is true of the PS3 vs X360 -- except that the PS3 appears to actually be a bit superior when handled by a talented team, as opposed to "near equal". At this time though, the PS3 and X360 are only just getting to be "on par", from the user's perspective... the PS3 has suffered a bit from its learning curve thusfar (I would say very similar to PS2/GC comparisons, actually), although that trend does appear to be on the downward slope.

The Wii... is unique. It is, effectively, the very first "casual console" -- it almost deserves another comparison catagory, all to itself. Claiming it competes with the PS3 and 360 is actually somewhat of a stretch, in my opinion.

I disagree, firstly the ps2 was a very casual console. You see this by how many people owned the ps2. There is no way that all of them are hardcore gamers, and if they are that would mean more people would jump to next gen than they have. Then there are many casual games that sold extremely well. I'm not saying it is as casual as the wii, but it is a very casual system and should be classified as one. Secondly the wii isn't only casual at all either. You see this by many games such as The Legend of Zelda, Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime 3, Resident Evil 4 and Umbrella chronicles, etc selling very well. Also it seems that many ps360 owners also own a wii. Thirdly if the wii didn't compete with the other consoles then they are sellin poorly compared to previous generations and the market is shrinking. Also you see the wii taking many exclusives from these consoles such as Monster Hunter 3, and many potential exclusives such as Fatal Frame IV. The only reason the ps360 have more games for them is that there is less of a risk, and 3rd party developers didn't prove yet that their high budget games sell good on the wii.

Edit: Also you never replied to my other post.

My reply to your other post is, essentially the main body of the post you just replied to.

I can agree that the PS2 was a casual console as well, I guess. However, it was "casual" for a different reason -- some 70% of PS2 owners in a study, at one point, told NPD that they purchased the console primarily as a DVD player. Casual due to movie-playing ability, and casual gaming are really two different things. The Wii is the first casual gaming console, in my opinion. The PS2 was merely a living room appliance to a large portion of its owners -- I don't really think that qualifies.

You can see that the PS2's success didn't really spur amazing profits for Sony, too (from their annual profit margins) -- again probably due to the fact that one of its major reasons for success was apparently due to its utilily as a DVD player. Again, I think the Wii's success will spur greater profits/unit for Nintendo, because people bought it for casual gaming (which Nintendo makes licensing fees from), instead of DVD playing. And again, I don't think that the Wii and PS3/360 are really in the same ballpark, for the same reason.

Its my opinion. You don't need to agree with it, or argue me down. I'm always right anyway. ;)

The end result is that the Wii has never, and will never "defeat" the PS3 or X360. Its only a sideline competition. The PS3 and X360 are the only direct competitors in the current console lineup. The Wii is peerless, and thus, pretty much guaranteed success no matter how the other consoles fare.

I actually expect the Wii's sales to peter out long before the PS2's did, in its relative lifetime, however.  It can't even play DVDs, and the casual gamer market is still, IMO, much smaller than the DVD-watcher market was back then.  I think we'll probably see the PS3 slowly catch up to (I doubt it will ever actually catch it... but it might be close) the Wii over the next few years.  Call me a nonbeliever, if you like. =)

Of course they're in different ballparks. One makes money and the others don't.

But they're definitely competing. They competed for my cashmoneys, and Nintendo won.

Snes didn't "kill" the genesis. It was locked in a tough battle until the end of 1995 and it barely won because Sega stopped making Genesis systems and moved on to the Saturn.

Nintendo lost big market share to Sega in that genereation.

Around the Network
Mifely said:
snip

My reply to your other post is, essentially the main body of the post you just replied to.

I can agree that the PS2 was a casual console as well, I guess. However, it was "casual" for a different reason -- some 70% of PS2 owners in a study, at one point, told NPD that they purchased the console primarily as a DVD player. Casual due to movie-playing ability, and casual gaming are really two different things. The Wii is the first casual gaming console, in my opinion. The PS2 was merely a living room appliance to a large portion of its owners -- I don't really think that qualifies.

You can see that the PS2's success didn't really spur amazing profits for Sony, too (from their annual profit margins) -- again probably due to the fact that one of its major reasons for success was apparently due to its utilily as a DVD player. Again, I think the Wii's success will spur greater profits/unit for Nintendo, because people bought it for casual gaming (which Nintendo makes licensing fees from), instead of DVD playing. And again, I don't think that the Wii and PS3/360 are really in the same ballpark, for the same reason.

Its my opinion. You don't need to agree with it, or argue me down. I'm always right anyway. ;)

The end result is that the Wii has never, and will never "defeat" the PS3 or X360. Its only a sideline competition. The PS3 and X360 are the only direct competitors in the current console lineup. The Wii is peerless, and thus, pretty much guaranteed success no matter how the other consoles fare.

Well most of my other post was  about you saying that the cpu of the ps2 was better than that of the gamcube, but you kind of did reply with your other post.

@The competition thing.        Hm I never thought of it like that, but you could say that for any other console after it started to outsell it's competition considerabely. For example you could say that for the ps1 when it outsold the N64 by nearly 4 times, or the ps2. Of course they can't compete with it now, but when every console had a chance they were all considered competing.

Mifely said:

I actually expect the Wii's sales to peter out long before the PS2's did, in its relative lifetime, however. It can't even play DVDs, and the casual gamer market is still, IMO, much smaller than the DVD-watcher market was back then. I think we'll probably see the PS3 slowly catch up to (I doubt it will ever actually catch it... but it might be close) the Wii over the next few years. Call me a nonbeliever, if you like. =)

You make a good point that DVD played a very big role in making the PlayStation2 a success. However I don't think that will set Nintendo back at all. You see the people buying Wii are doing so with the new viral marketing scheme of casual gaming. I think that Nintendo will release a new model and continue to target the base that nobody else is.

For example Hospitals are installing Wii's for their aging patients, bringing in Brain Age and other games to help the elderly. I could easily see it being incorporated into the Army , Police forces and other careers. A new America's Army on the Wii including boot camp. Police simulators already use Wiimote like controllers (RCMP Canada) theirs no reason why the Wii couldn't become a very efficient EduWare console.

Unlike PS3/360 Nintendo could maintain the hardware for at least 10-20 years. As soon as the next generation starts up Nintendo could open the development up to homebrew or just make the liscense availible for pretty much anyone. The console could then keep selling as Eduware for use in multiple applications.

Lastly PS2 was most definatly a casual console. Many of the successful games like the Buzz series , GuitarHero, SingStar etc....etc.... You are right that DVD helped it off its feet but I think the feature only helped build a casual user base for Nintendo to steal. I think likely almost everyone who bought a PS2 at one time or another tried picking up a game, likely a casual game. I am pretty sure the PS2 expanded the industry big time.

Fact is those people who bought PS2 as a DVD player are probubly the people buying Wii's. Then theirs the fact that Nintendo is bound to reveal a new model of the Wii sooner or later, every time Nintendo sees success they do end up releasing another model. I see a new model with a larger internal hard drive and DVD playback being released in place of a price drop.

In the end PS2 was casual and brought in tons of non-gamers, those gamers are buying Wii's. Will PS3 find success as a BluRay player, that is possible but the Wii will give it a run for its money!

-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer

Power is irrelevant if it's not useable. The Saturn's power was not nearly as useable as the PS1 because the Saturn had two processors: one 2D and one 3D. This negated whatever technical advantage the Saturn might have had over the PS because it was so difficult to actually use that power to create a better looking game than a PS1 counterpart.

Specs don't matter one bit. The proof is in the pudding. SNES games had better graphics than Genesis games. PS1 games had better graphics than Saturn games. PS2 games had better graphics than DC games. In some ways, the PS1 was in fact more powerful than the N64. I know a lot of people who bought a PS1 because of FFVII for its presentation which was unachievable on the N64 because of cartridges.

My Top 5:

Shadow of the Colossus, Metal Gear Solid 3, Shenmue, Skies of Arcadia, Chrono Trigger

My 2 nex-gen systems: PS3 and Wii

Prediction Aug '08: We see the PSP2 released fall '09. Graphically, it's basically the same as the current system. UMD drive ditched and replaced by 4-8gb on board flash memory. Other upgrades: 2nd analog nub, touchscreen, blutooth, motion sensor. Design: Flip-style or slider. Size: Think Iphone. Cost: $199. Will be profitable on day 1.

jman8 said:
Power is irrelevant if it's not useable. The Saturn's power was not nearly as useable as the PS1 because the Saturn had two processors: one 2D and one 3D. This negated whatever technical advantage the Saturn might have had over the PS because it was so difficult to actually use that power to create a better looking game than a PS1 counterpart.

Specs don't matter one bit. The proof is in the pudding. SNES games had better graphics than Genesis games. PS1 games had better graphics than Saturn games. PS2 games had better graphics than DC games. In some ways, the PS1 was in fact more powerful than the N64. I know a lot of people who bought a PS1 because of FFVII for its presentation which was unachievable on the N64 because of cartridges.

The only way the ps1 was more powerful than the n64 was the ability to put FMVs on the disk, and some N64 games had FMVs too(not as much as the ps1). Also I don't think he said the least powerful console wins, but the most powerful console never won. I do agree though power had nothing to do with their sucess.

no playstation: no MGS and no FF7. This has got to be the 100th thread on this EXACT topic.