By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How is XBL better than PSN?

windbane said:
reptile168 said:
leo-j said:
reptile168 said:
PSN started a subscription fee for Qore stuffs like demos and videos, which are available for free on Xbox live. Xbox Live charges you for multiplayer. So, it's your choice to decide whether Multiplayer fees or Demo/video fees are more ripping you off.

On top of the mentioned Xbox live and PSN stuffs, I believe the XBox Live Graphical interface is much more friendly than the PSN. Media Center for streaming contents from PC is really simple too.

I'm not sure whether the following option is xbox live exclusive, but Live has full parental controls.

No thats complete bull $hit.

QORE does not charge you for vidoes or demos.. its like paying for a magazine.

And no demos are not FREE if you want them immediately on XBOX LIVE.

Demos usually appear earlier for Live anyway. Silver membership waits 1 week before being able to play a demo, wow, that's absolutely ridiculous amount of time for those extremely anticipated demos.

Every game videos and demos are free for Live, while Sony is starting to charge you guys a monthly magazine fee to view some "exclusive" videos and demos.

A year subcription to Qore is half the price of a year of Live. Demos may be released early on Qore in the future, but that is not the case yet. It's mainly about extended developer interviews and beta invites. It only cost $3 to get a Socom beta invite. That's a rather good price. Everything else is still free.

Qore is crap, I won't relist the reasons why here.  I did a whole run down of my opinion of it after trying it over here . . .

http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=30788&start=0

I give that post a 9.3.

Thank god for the disable signatures option.

Around the Network
windbane said:

A year subcription to Qore is half the price of a year of Live. Demos may be released early on Qore in the future, but that is not the case yet. It's mainly about extended developer interviews and beta invites. It only cost $3 to get a Socom beta invite. That's a rather good price. Everything else is still free.

I've never paid $60 for a year of live. I could say that DVD's are expensive because retail price new they are still $29.99.  When's the last time anybody paid that price?

Buy.com has live 13month cards for 29.99 at this very moment.  Free shipping.  Granted this is for our US readers but lower prices can also be found for Canada and Europe with just a little browsing around.

Completed X360:
High Def Movie Collection

Well, I dont think XBOX LIVE has anything passed the PSN after july.

Heck Id even say PSN has more features by then.

mM

For the games I play online, the PSN does all it needs to do. I only had Xbox Live for the 3 free months, when it ran out I didn't feel the need to keep it. I am not sayin that its better, but PSN does what i need and its free.

Besides where else can you run around the Clubhouse lobby with a Mii-like avatar and kick soccerballs around with your friends, while waiting for your next golf tourney. Hot Shots Golf on the PSN.

“I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.”

Stephen Henry Roberts

ssj12 said:
SamuelRSmith said:
Well, basically:

- Cross game invites
- Cross game private chatting
- More content
- Better features in games (CoD4, for example has dedicated leaderboard servers, so your friends don't have to be online to see their stats).
- More leaderboards (CoD4 on 360 has leaderboards for the Arcade mode, for example).

- The ability to see exactly what gametypes and maps people are playing (You can go over a friend in your friendslist and it will say "Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare Headquaters on Shipment")
- Cross game messaging
- Universal friends lists
- More DLC
- Achievements
- Player zones
- MSN Messenger support
- Headset standard with Premium and Elite consoles.

- Custom soundtracks.

Bold = 2.40 and upcoming features through in-game XMB or can somewhat already

Italic = coming

Underline = who cares?

Lol thats the best thread reply i've ever read :P

SSJ12's right aswell PSN's getting a big update with 2.40. Hopefully it will all run smoothly and do all the things we expect it to.

PLUS

- MSN Messenger Support

I'd rather turn on my PS3 and watch youtube on my 50" TV than sit typing some shit on MSN

- Headset standard with premium and elite consoles

Great, a wired, over the head type, headset worth arounda quid. Yeah, fuckin awesome.

DON'T FORGET ABOUT HOME!!!

Everyones neglecting to mention the most annoying thing to PS3 users everywhere to ever be set a release date, delayed, set a release date, delayed, and then finally after 2 years it can't get much worse, but it's delayed again.

Home's gonna boost PSN past XBL. And in true-Sony fashion, its free :D

Platinums/100% Completion: Super Stardust HD, Linger In Shadows, Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, Burnout Paradise, Shaun White Snowboarding, Tomb Raider: Underworld, X-Men Origins: Wolverine, LittleBigPlanet, Terminator: Salvation, Assassin's Creed II, WipEout HD, Ratchet And Clank: A Crack In Time, Uncharted 2: Among Thieves, God Of War, God of War II, God of War III, inFamous.

Working on: GTA IV - 87%, Batman: Arkham Asylum - 80%.

Around the Network

Of course you can do more on XBL...thats why it isnt free

I hope my 360 doesn't RRoD
         "Suck my balls!" - Tag courtesy of Fkusmot

colonelstubbs said:
Of course you can do more on XBL...thats why it isnt free

But Sony is putting more resources into PSN than MS is putting into XBL.  For example, dedicated servers are unquestionably superior to using someone's xbox to host the games for the following reasons:

(1) Dedicated servers have faster, better connections than most home users

(2) There is no "host advantage" when using a dedicated server -- with the XBL model, hosting games means you have an advantage, especially if your connection is bad.

(3) Because xboxes have to host their own games, you have to have ports open for the incoming connections.

I pay for XBL, but PSN is technically better for this one reasons: dedicated servers.  It's just an example of Sony not cheaping out and/or understanding technology better than Microsoft does because dedicated servers are unquestionably superior for the vast majority of game types.

ToastyJaguar said:
ssj12 said:
mysticD said:

Well you know that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

If XBL is not better why do you think Sony is copy all the bullet points for PSN.

They are copy Gamercards, Gamerscore, achievements. They are doing in game XMB (XBL dash), in game soundtrack and in game chat. They are also going to copy community feature like cross game invite, may be friend list ?

But anyway, all these features are available already on XBL not to mention mountain of contents. All the arcade game demo, free movies (mostly crappy), rental movies, free demo, not to mention trailers ...

As for XBL being more laggy, I don't know what you guys pulling that bull-crap from. I play GT5P and it's no better than racing game on 360. The on-line feature of GT5P is pretty weak, bumper car mayhem not to mention the lack of invite and match up so you end up playing with random jerck that going backward on the track. I don't have COD4 on PS3 but on 360 it play just fine.

@SSJ

Just because you don't care about the features dosn't mean it's not a feature.  You are a fricking mod for crying out loud stop acting like a troll.

Blu-ray is a great feature on PS3 and I used it all the time.  Some might not care for it but it still is a great feature.  Would you have remove that as "feature" because some might said they don't like watching movie on a "gaming" system.

Please grow up and act like a mod if you are going to be one.

you = tard thank you.

I just questioned the need for those features. Really does very many people really need them? Not all games need to feature in-game chat. And why not support an IM program that everyone uses like AIM?

Quit being a TARD when I standed my OPINION and asked why anyone cared about about those features. If your going to call me out on bais of any kind do it on grounds of me saying PC > Consoles always not an opinion. Grow up or LEAVE THE FORUMS.

Aside from the bickering here, you are right, not all games need to feature in game chat

But Xbox live is universal in games in that chatting with anyone is not dependeble on the game.

I can play Halo 3 with a bunch of dudes but i can chat to my friend who's playing Call of Duty 4 for example.

My main problem with the PSN is that alot of the online stuff is so focused around what game you are playing, for instance the games at the moment require a specific in game friends list like UT3 to play and chat.

If Sony want to make their service as good as live they really have a long way to go, i don't think home is enough. It's about alot of community integration which Microsoft just do so well at the moment. I check Xbox.com near daily to see what my friends are playing and to send them messages which is surprisingly addictive. But also a bunch of websites are dedicated to Xbox live like 360voice.com which logs your progess. It's just a really good system and who knew it would be so big and addictive.

Well considering the PSN is taking notes from PC gaming and not LIVE I think I can live since PC always kills consoles with features and games. Game specific chatting is mandatory in gaming, universal chat is not and should be nothing more then an optional feature.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

I do not care what you guys think is better. As long as there are enough people for me and my buds to destroy online, then it is all good. Halo 3 is doing fine with an average of 300,000 gamers on at any given point(I noticed one guy in South Africa was playing last night). Universal voice chatting and friends lists are awesome. Hopefully M$ will announce a partnership with Netflix as well, which would be completely fucking awesome. They probably have some major announcements regarding their service for the fall update. PC gaming is great, but Live gaming is also great. The two are not exclusive. I played Guild Wars(which was free monthly) but I also played WoW(which was not free and requires the same upkeep requirements from the developer as Guild Wars).

leo-j said:
Retrasado said:
Shameless said:
It's better in every way at the moment. Well worth the price.

*cries*

why can't you guys be specific?

he isnt being specific, he is trolling.

I don't know... if everything realy was better... that would be specific.