By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Proof the DS will beat world wide sales of PS2 by 2012

tehsage said:
whacker41 said:
well, that's assuming that the DS successor is actually released in 2011, but this is still some very good proof.

Won't this make the DS the first handheld to break 1 million?

Gameboy + Gameboy Color sold 118 million. Hell, if we included the Gameboy Lite and Pocket, It may have even passed the ps2.

The 118m does include the Gameboy Light and Pocket. They are just re-designs of the original Gameboy. It also includes about 38m Gameboy Color sales, despite it being a completely different machine that is twice as powerful as the original and has incompatible games.

DS sales have already exceeded those of the original Gameboy.

Around the Network

Oh, I was so exicted I clicked post too soon. YAY! Nintendo finally can out sell the PS2! Is that bigotry?

DS will outsell it more than likely, it has already outsold it in Japan which is the only place where saturation has occurred. DS is still gonna record a lot of sales in japan before it dies. In europe and USA it's selling insane amounts.

The ps2 isn't done selling yet and is likely to get at least 135 million.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

The DS has a distinct advantage which will (potentially) lead it to outselling the PS2 by a wide margin ... Many households are willing to own multiple Nintendo DS systems because it is far more of an individual's toy than the family's toy.

I wrote the following in another thread, I'll quote myself

Let's see...

DS is currently at 74.03M

Last year, it sold 29.4M, but let's say 30M to make it easy.

From 6th Jan to 16 June 2007, it sold 10.1M, but we'll say 10M for convinience.

This year, it has sold 10.4M - this means that WW, it shows no sign of slowing down. This leads to the assumption that it could sell 20M more this year, leaving it at 94M.

In 2007, it sold the following in the regions (5th Jan to 16th June):

America: 3.1M

Others: 3.4M

Japan: 3.7M

In 2008, it has sold the following:

America: 3.3M (+ 6%)

Others: 5.5M (61% increase)

Japan: 1.6M (51% decrease)

WW: > 5% increase

There is little reason to believe that the DS will decrease even further in Japan. If it does, we will see a re-design. A whole new handheld is not realistic, as Nintendo has said several times that they do not want to piss off their customers, so making them buy a gaming machine for full price, to then only be able to play it for 1 year, isn't likely. A limited edition DQ9 could do wonders too.

So I think that DS in Japan can only go one way from now - up.

There isn't much reason for the DS to go either up nor down in America. A price cut could come in Japan, but one in America seems unlikely. There could come a re-design soon though, and that would spike up the sales a bit.

Others, is really pretty hard to predict. But the numbers have been slightly decreasing this year (minimally though), so I guess it would rather fall than increase.

So for the end of the year, I guess we could see 95M fairly easily. 90M is almost certain.

I see no reason for the sales to drop below 25M for 2009, but 20M is close to certain.

Even if there is a new handheld from Nintendo out, the DS would drop in price, and possibly get a redesign (GB Micro came out a year after DS), so even in the year after the next handheld release, it would make 10M easily, with a shot at 15 or 20M.

So the very minimums I see, are the following ones.

Rest of 2008: 15M

Full 2009: 20M

Full 2010: 10M

Full 2011: 5M

I can't see it selling less than this (reasons mentioned above). Thinking we will see a new DS (not re-design, new gaming machine) in this fiscal year is close to crazy, and I doubt very much we will see one in the next FY. In 2010 though, I believe we will see one.

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/userreviewdisp.php?id=261

That is VGChartz LONGEST review. And it's NOT Cute Kitten DS