By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Vista 32 vs 64

I just tried to install a game, and disk two can't be read (probably an issue with the game). It causes the OS to freeze for 30 seconds or so, and kills the install program. Once it dies, I can't move the window that it's in.

In what excuse of an OS should an unreadable disk cause so many problems?

I then tried to copy the file, and it said I has 2560 days, and 1 hour. lol.

I also still can't install SP1.

Yea, Vista is still the piece of shit I remember it being, even on new, fast, hardware.

Around the Network
WEWdeadeye said:
64 bit is the better version to get if you are going to be running Vista. Why would you want to get the BRAND NEW OS and run the outdated 32-bit version? I have never had a single crash or error running Vista64 Ultimate, the thing is rock hard stable, it is amazing. There is a real easy fix around the signed drivers too, that doesn't require any 3rd party programs, just a few tweaks in windows will take care of it (I haven't been asked about signed drivers since the 2nd day I had Vista installed).

Crysis uses a TON of memory if you have it, and you will notice an advantage in all aspects of windows vista64 with 4GB of ram or more, Vista runs faster than XP32 did for me, and games seem to run a lot smoother also. I can't hype Vista64 up enough, this OS has absolutely exceeded all my expectations (which were low at first after reading all the negative press). Most of the people you see bashing Vista on internet forums have never even used it! Everyone I have talked to on all my gaming/hardware/PC related forums love vista, and couldn't imagine going back to XP. I almost never hear people complain about Vista if they ACTUALLY have it installed on their computer, as opposed to those who just bash it using examples taken from other people in the forums or random articles around the web that reek of bias.

That is just my take on things. If you go Vista, there is no reason you shouldn't get the 64 bit version, and there is no reason you should get the 32bit version. If you are going to run 32-bit OS, stick with XP, and don't waste your money buying Vista.

I couldn't agree more. I can't believe sometimes how much BS and FUD surrounds Vista. I've been running Vista 64 since SP1 and it has been nothing but awesome. I use it mostly for gaming, but everything I've tried on it has ran fine. Even Oregon Trail worked! Honestly though, only get Vista if you're gonna get the 64-bit version. It really does feel like night and day.

Why would you want XP at this point anyway? It's a dinosaur of an OS that was made to run on Pentium 4's and similar hardware.