By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Bosses in games outdated?

I read an interesting article for some while ago about some guy talking about that putting an ending boss in the game is outdated. He said it was put into gaming to begin with because kids would use more money to finish the last boss in the arcade games. So he thought it was stupid to put them into video games since most people play at home.

So what do you guys think?

I personally love bosses in games. It gives me the chance to use my skills all out, espacially in RPG's.

Shake and bake, it just happend.

Around the Network

Their needed. Since they test your skills since the game would be way to easy with out them...

Former something....

I also like bosses in game, I mean the point of most games is the beat the last boss.

Bosses are the best experiences I have in games. Most games I play have bosses in them such as adventure games I.E Metroid, Zelda, SoTCand Rpgs, I.E Chrono Trigger, Golden sun, Final Fantasy. Platformers like mario also have a good deal of bosses. It seems the only genres that don't have bosses are FPSes and alot of them do have bosses(well pc ones anyway).

I love bosses if they are done well. Boss fights in Zelda and Shadow of the Colossus are examples of superb boss fights. The boss fight at the end of Bioshock is an example of a poor boss fight.

Around the Network

In RPGs, bosses are needed imo. They need to be really really tough too... gotta bust out all your ridiculous moves that cost massive amounts of manna, and die many times. Then use your ridiculous one time only items to full heal yourself, and crush the boss. So much fun :D

bobobologna said:
I love bosses if they are done well. Boss fights in Zelda and Shadow of the Colossus are examples of superb boss fights. The boss fight at the end of Bioshock is an example of a poor boss fight.

There would be no game without boses in Shadow of the Colossus...

Former something....

No Boss= anticlimax.

I think that original article your read is extremely flawed.

Most people I know that played arcade games never made it to any sort of boss. We played and played because the game was addictive, challenging, or ground-breaking.

Boss battles probably have their origins further back in time than the 1980's. Beowulf (500 ad) comes to mind...and that wasn't the beginning.

Bosses are shite.

Slimebeast said:
Bosses are the shite.

Fixed