By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Proof that 1 is Equal to .999999999........!

you should look at this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/0.999...

Not trying to be a fanboy. Of course, it's hard when you own the best console eve... dang it

Around the Network

Proof that 2 = 1

Let a and b be equal non-zero quantities

a = b

Multiply through by a

a^2 = ab

Subtract b^2

a^2 - b^2 = ab - b^2

Factor both sides

(a - b)(a + b) = b(a - b)

Divide out (a - b)

a + b = b

Observing that a = b

b + b = b

Combine like terms on the left

2b = b

Divide by the non-zero b

2 = 1

Q.E.D.

wfz said:

Eab, the problem with the "infinity times zero" question is that infinity isn't even a number. Also most of the time you're looking at that, 0 isn't a number either. They're both behaviors.

@Shameless, 1/3 means "one third of". If you take .999999 = 1, then that's fine, since 1/3 of .999999 is .3333333

However if you don't, then 1/3 isn't exactly equal to .3333. It's more like .33333 1/3

=P

EDIT: Shameless, infinity times zero is not zero. Don't criticize people for butchering math and then do it yourself in the same post!

1/3 means 1 divided by 3 like all fractions.

Zero is always zero, no matter what you choose to multiply it by.

superchunk said:
Proof that 2 = 1

a = b

Multiply through by a

a^2 = ab

Subtract b^2

a^2 - b^2 = ab - b^2

Factor both sides

Divide out (a - b)

a + b = b

Observing that a = b

b + b = b

2b = b

Divide by the non-zero b

2 = 1

Q.E.D.

Wrong.

If a = b then a - b = 0. You have divided by (a - b) which is dividing by 0.

Shameless said:
wfz said:

Eab, the problem with the "infinity times zero" question is that infinity isn't even a number. Also most of the time you're looking at that, 0 isn't a number either. They're both behaviors.

@Shameless, 1/3 means "one third of". If you take .999999 = 1, then that's fine, since 1/3 of .999999 is .3333333

However if you don't, then 1/3 isn't exactly equal to .3333. It's more like .33333 1/3

=P

EDIT: Shameless, infinity times zero is not zero. Don't criticize people for butchering math and then do it yourself in the same post!

Zero is always zero, no matter what real number you multiply it by. Infinity is not a number, so that doesn't work.

Infinity is a behavior. Also, 0 can be a behavior as well, so using L'hopital's rule is great when you have infinities and zeroes.

Around the Network

Yes.

Also 3/5 =/= 6/10.

We'll miss you George.

PSN:Puzzleface

XBL:XpuzzlefaceX

My friends call me Hadoken because I'm down-right fierce

Shameless said:
superchunk said:
Proof that 2 = 1

a = b

Multiply through by a

a^2 = ab

Subtract b^2

a^2 - b^2 = ab - b^2

Factor both sides

Divide out (a - b)

a + b = b

Observing that a = b

b + b = b

2b = b

Divide by the non-zero b

2 = 1

Q.E.D.

Wrong.

If a = b then a - b = 0. You have divided by (a - b) which is dividing by 0.

nice, you win. I was hoping it would take longer for someone to catch that. :)

I always liked this proof when I was shown it in my logic classes.

superchunk said:
Proof that 2 = 1

a = b

Multiply through by a

a^2 = ab

Subtract b^2

a^2 - b^2 = ab - b^2

Factor both sides

Divide out (a - b)

a + b = b

Observing that a = b

b + b = b

2b = b

Divide by the non-zero b

2 = 1

Q.E.D.

edited: someone got it

^_^

wfz said:
Shameless said:
wfz said:

=P

Zero is always zero, no matter what real number you multiply it by. Infinity is not a number, so that doesn't work.

Infinity is a behavior. Also, 0 can be a behavior as well, so using L'hopital's rule is great when you have infinities and zeroes.

Fair enough. I guess I'm getting confused when people define 1/0 = infinity when it should be written implicitly as "1/x = y; when x tends to 0, y tends to infinity", I'm getting tired ;).

wfz said:
Shameless said:
wfz said:

=P

I was under the impression that L'hopital's rule only worked when it was 0/0 or Infinity/Infinity.  It might change in later maths though; I don't know.  In Calculuas AB, that's how it is, at least.

Also, math isn't messed up.  .999... is the SAME number as 1.  A lot of people have trouble with this conceptually because we can't fathom infinity.  You can't look at this as approaching an infinite number of 9's (which would be less than 1) or anything like that.  The number of 9's in .999... has actually reached infinity.

Here's another way to prove it.

c = .999...

10c = 9.999...

10c - c = 9.999... - .999...

9c = 9

c = 1