By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why are console games so much more expensive than PC games?

Um, you completely missed my point.

No I didn't. Hawkeye said that PC gamers pay more for hardware and less for software. You said this argument is false because there are many PC gamers who can upgrade their PCs or upgrade a new one (since they need a PC for email/web anyway). I say that Hawkeyes post is very valid because many PC owners cannot upgrade their PC and can use an email Pc for a long, long time.

Because of this I said: "Your mileage may be different". For many people out there Hawkeye's statement is simply true. For other people you are correct and they could upgrade an existing PC for gaming purposes on a low budget.

Around the Network
TheTruthHurts! said:
This retarded debacle will go on forever. I should ask, who here owns both a console and PC gaming rig? I for one, as stated, have 3 comps and 2 consoles, XBox 360 and a Wii. If anyone who posted above has a current console, Wii, X360, or PS3, you have discredited yourself because, just as I, you have spent tons on Gaming regardless lol. (Shio), I know I can count you out, because I assume you would blow your own brains out before buying a console lol. I do give you props for your stout defense in the face of the continuing and increasing number of Console to PC gamers the PC community is facing. Some of my best friends feel as you do. I for one can honestly say I play my Laptop more than my Consoles currently, but I still Love and Loath them......same difference.

I own a PC and a Wii...therefore I discredit myself...?  Wha?

My Wii cost me $30 to buy (a free promotion from Gamefly, I paid a couple friends to use the service after being referred through me), I have about 10 games, probably about $500 there, 3 extra Wiimotes for $120, 4 nunchucks, $80, 2 Classics, $40, 4 GC controllers (3rd party), $30....that's $800. 

A bit pricey in the end but I never called consoles cheap, so why does that discredit me?

I'm arguing on this forum because of people like you.  You act like we're some crazy elitists, when really we've got an awesome system with better functionality and graphics than any videogame console on the market, for a comparable price in the end.  We pay up front for high-end hardware, you pay in the long run for tons of nickel and dime-ing with fees on the DVDs, internet gaming for 360 players, DLC content (half of which are the quality of flash games you can play on computers anyway).

I don't care at all about the increasing number of console players, I don't really have anything against people that own videogame systems, myself owning a Wii.

It's just funny when you guys act like the "PC elitists" pay up the wazoo for a gaming-quality machine when you pay roughly the same.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Where i Live it's $60 for new 360 / PS3 games

$50 for Wii $50 for PC.

The only valid point is that PC gaming is much more expensive than console gaming if you don't have the capability or desire to build your own PC.

If you have to buy a retail gaming PC, you will get reamed badly and that's the only time when PC is really more expensive. Most serious PC gamers will know how to build their own PC but there will be a lot who won't. Thats why high tech PC gaming is the hardest of the hardcore.

The mainstream market for PC gaming will experience very high costs if they want to keep up on PC tech.

And upgrading your computer is not always required because all computers scale up or down for your specs. So while consoles start with good graphics and get better over time, without upgrades, PCs start with great graphics and stay relatively flat afterwards. Depending on where you start out, you'll likely still end up with better graphics at the end with the PC than the console.

It takes general know-how to build a computer...but if you can look at the specs of your $2000 Dell PC and know what each part is, the RAM, the motherboard, the hard drive...if you understand what those parts do in general, you're on your way to simply buying those parts separately and cutting your price from $2000 to $800.

And like I said, it takes know-how to build a computer, so if you don't know how, make a wish list of the stuff you want in your PC and have a tech friend help you buy the stuff and put it together. I didn't know how to use thermal glue on the processor heatsink when I put my first computer together, so I brought it to a friend who showed me how...now I build computers for friends and family and save them tons of money, and I get paid sometimes for my help as well.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )