By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why are console games so much more expensive than PC games?

They assume that console gamers are dumb enough to pay their outrageous prices.

Around the Network

because with pc u have a greater choice and by console games u have to get whats there for any price!

and because consoles are cheaper than pc`s thats how they make money

N64 is the ONLY console of the fifth generation!

bet with *no one yet* that the combined first week of Monster Hunter 3 in america and europe will be 600k or more! winner changes looser sig and avatar for two months!

The license fee to console makers is the only valid reason to have a slighlty higher price, but not $100 for console versus $60 for PC games like it's here in Sweden.

Yeah, I believe it's because they can get away with it...

Which would you prefer-
A. $2000 console with $40 games
B. $350 console with $60 games
there is your answer. PC gamers pay through the nose for hardware but better control and graphics and customization and get decent prices on software. Console gamers get much cheaper hardware but slightly more expensive software.

Hawkeye said:
Which would you prefer-
there is your answer. PC gamers pay through the nose for hardware but better control and graphics and customization and get decent prices on software. Console gamers get much cheaper hardware but slightly more expensive software.

Are you delutional? My $700 pc could play any game on high-very high settings at 720p, and most games I could play even higher. You could probably build a pc for $500 that could play any game on the mariket, and play them with better graphics than the hd consoles.

Around the Network

Here in Canada new PC games are 59 dollars and so are console games.

PC games seem to hit the bargin bin quicker though.

demacII said:

ditto

sc94597 said:
Hawkeye said:
Which would you prefer-

Are you delutional? My $700 pc could play any game on high-very high settings at 720p, and most games I could play even higher. You could probably build a pc for $500 that could play any game on the mariket, and play them with better graphics than the hd consoles.

I asked my friend before "if I bought an $800 PC, would it be able to play CoD4 so I could play it with you guys at the LAN party?" and he said "it would run, but it wouldn't run on any setting worth playing". He may be wrong, I have no idea as I have a crappy laptop, but my impression has been that a very expensive PC is needed to run modern PC games like Crysis and CoD4.

Leetgeek said:
demacII said:

ditto

News to me, and I'm in Canada.

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."

I have a 750 dollar PC from 2 years ago that can run Call of duty 4, Bioshock and any modern game aside from crysis on AT LEAST medium settings if not higher. Today you could build my same PC for waaay cheaper. For 2000 dollars you are either getting ripped off, or a godlike machine.

PCs used to be the expensive alternative, but the price on a good PC has gone way down and the price of a high end console has gone way up. Gaming PCs (with an abundance of multimedia functions) are now only marginally more expensive than multimedia consoles.

You can find me on facebook as Markus Van Rijn, if you friend me just mention you're from VGchartz and who you are here.