By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Will the PS3 see a Price cut anytime soon.

I seriously doubt it.

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."
Around the Network

MGS4 bundle did not sell out on day one everywhere. I saw one at Walmart yesterday, went to try and buy it today and it was gone...

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut

@leetgeek

so I should not try and shop wisely?

I have not followed the PS3 very closely in the past and now I am checking with all of you on what is the best route to take.

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut

bigjon said:
@leetgeek

so I should not try and shop wisely?

I have not followed the PS3 very closely in the past and now I am checking with all of you on what is the best route to take.

Dontcha know if you have the money you are suppose to blow it on things you want impulsively! Hell you can afford it!

Fireburden5 said:
wasnt the cell getting reduced to 45nm this year? that should cut the price down

I think you're referring to the fact that IBM has indeed managed to produce a 45nm Cell (a few months ago, as I recall), but its not in mass production yet, and I doubt we'd see a redesigned PS3, that takes advantage of it, until late 2009 at the earliest.

Around the Network

I had believed that Sony would be dropping price some time soon as well. After hearing their comments I dont think they can afford to do that right now. The US economy is just too weak at the moment.

Maybe the money they would have need to get that price drop they will put in to making better games and features of the PS3. Also, they know regardless of pricing, without good software they will never sell enough games to warrant dropping the price. All they will do is sell more consoles, which means lose more money to have them NOT buy the games that justify that price drop.

This is a reason why im almost sure well see a Wii like controller from the PS3 this E3. They need to start generation more software/peripheral sales and they probably want to feed off of the Wii hype. They are Sony, their product will be at least given a chance by lots of consumers around the world. If they can deliver a Wii like experience but somehow use Blu-Ray and the extra processing power to offer something better, they may capture some of the casual market yet. It would have to be something much better however to warrant the $150 extra cost.

I don't think we will get a price drop this year.

get the MGS4 bundle(80gb Ps3),,,it's BC with Ps2 and Ps1 and has dual shock 3 controler packed in already,,,Also a free copy of MGS4 and the game pain on PSN.

40 gig Vs 80 gig:

ofcourse the HDD difference
80 is BC
80 has flash/SD drive input to watch your pictures on tv or store rhem on PS3
80 has 2 more USB port

after you played MGS4(possibly one of the best games this gen) give these games
a try:

Uncharted
ratchet and clanck
COD4
GTAIV
burnout paradise
heavenly sword

Hmm... there may or may not be a price cut in spring 2009. That would be the earliest. I would go ahead and buy one now- the MGS4 bundle is BC

Will you get more enjoyment out of having the PS3 now for an extra 100$ for x amount of time before a next price cut or out of going for x amount of time until the next pricecut with only the Wii, but having and extra 100$? Both are viable options, but I would go with the purchase now, seeing as you can currently afford it.

As long as you commit to playing it and to using it's media capabilities, then you will be entertained for more than 100$ until the next pricecut.

EDIT: Regarding SKUs, you will not miss the missing 2 USB ports on the 40GB if you haven't experienced a 4UBS port PS3. Though you probably will want to upgrade the HDD for less then 70$ in about a years time.

Mifely said:
Fireburden5 said:
wasnt the cell getting reduced to 45nm this year? that should cut the price down

I think you're referring to the fact that IBM has indeed managed to produce a 45nm Cell (a few months ago, as I recall), but its not in mass production yet, and I doubt we'd see a redesigned PS3, that takes advantage of it, until late 2009 at the earliest.

if you are referring to a slim ps3 that would probably be true, but as soon as IBM can make a 45nm reliable cell proccessor it will be in the ps3 because 1)less energy = smaller[cheaper] power supply 2) less heat = smaller [cheaper] fan
 3) and it will be cheaper itself that the bigger cell.