By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Will the MGS4 week two drop be the biggest in history?

In Japan MGS4 has outsold Halo3 Gears of war Cod4 and Bioshock combined. All in only a week lolol. 360 fanboys should never talk about Japan..... Ever.

Around the Network

Xbox is getting a lot of Japan love. There, I talked about Japan.

UK's ChartTrack showing about a 60% drop for the week;

After a close fought encounter with ‘Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots’ last week, ‘Lego Indiana Jones’ retakes No1 in the All Formats Chart from Konami’s PS3 stealth-em-up.

It’s a case of which game falls by the greatest margin as sales of the LucasArts’ film/toy franchise drop 29% compared to MGS4 which falls by 59%. MGS4 shifts down one place to No2, ahead of Atari’s ‘Alone in the Dark’, reborn on Xbox 360, Wii, PC and PS2 after a seven year absence - debuting at No3 with under half the sales of MGS4 this week. ‘GTA IV’ continues to fall by one place, down from No3 to No4, while ‘Wii Play’ gains 2 places, up from No7 to No5. ‘Mario & Sonic’, ‘Brain Training’ and ‘Race Driver GRID’ all drop 2 places to No’s 6, 7 and 8 respectively, while Activision’s ‘Guitar Hero III’ hits all the right notes, back into the All Formats Top 10, up from No13 to No9 - boosted by a retailer promotion of the PS3 version. Having debuted at No2 in the Japanese Charts in September last year ‘Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII’ enters the UK All Formats Chart at No10. Released only on PSP, the Square-Enix published RPG accounts for 54% of all Full Price PSP games sold this week.

There are 2 more new entries that make the All Formats Top 40 – Take 2’s ‘Top Spin 3’, in time for Wimbledon at No12 and Nintendo’s Chef Training (not Brain Training) lifestyle title ‘Cooking Guide: Can’t Decide what to Eat’ at No19.

http://www.charttrack.co.uk/?i=561&s=1111

What was Halo 3 second week drop?

halo first week sales were about 5x higher than MGS4's so you cannot compare. A 70 drop for Halo 3 would mean 2nd week sales for Halo were better than MGS's first week sales.

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut

Around the Network
Leetgeek said:
In Japan The Wii has outsold the Xbox360 and PS3 over 2-1 combined lolol. PS3/360 fanboys should never talk about Japan..... Ever.

Fixed.

Tease.

Hawkeye said:
What was Halo 3 second week drop?

Not sure, but this is interesting. Its an extremely hyped game, rabid fanbase and its being released worldwide. A huge drop is to be expected because if you love this game, you LOVE this game so you'd get this game first week like I did! Hehe.

Tease.

Rabid fanboyism by Squilliam.

Console Agnostic since 2001.

comon guys it dropped in japan because 1/4th of all people in japan with PS3s bought it! that doesn't leave many buyers considering there aren't 2.23 million and thats it.

In america the sales will drop to 187k and in others it will fall to 150k (my estimates)

"comon guys it dropped in japan because 1/4th of all people in japan with PS3s bought it! that doesn't leave many buyers considering there aren't 2.23 million and thats it."

See, this is part of my point about investing in consoles. MGS4 likely sold nearly a million PS3s in Japan, but almost all of them were sold long before the game ever came out. This is rapidly becoming a common pattern among the 360 and PS3: people don't wait for their chosen games to come out before buying the console.

Complexity is not depth. Machismo is not maturity. Obsession is not dedication. Tedium is not challenge. Support gaming: support the Wii.

Be the ultimate ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today! Poisson Village welcomes new players.

What do I hate about modern gaming? I hate tedium replacing challenge, complexity replacing depth, and domination replacing entertainment. I hate the outsourcing of mechanics to physics textbooks, art direction to photocopiers, and story to cheap Hollywood screenwriters. I hate the confusion of obsession with dedication, style with substance, new with gimmicky, old with obsolete, new with evolutionary, and old with time-tested.
There is much to hate about modern gaming. That is why I support the Wii.