By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Will this gen of consoles sell more or less than the previos gen?

TheSource said:

Realistic ranges for the three consoles at this point are something like:

Wii - 70-170 million

PS3 - 50-80 million

360 - 35-60 million

The upper limit of hardware sales this generation is probably about 300 million, and I think 220-260 million is realistic. Europe is becoming a big videogame market, and it has 700 million+ people, which means theoretically it could support 100 million consoles on its own given the similarities in wealth to Japan and the USA/Canada...if China and India become enthralled with any of the consoles than your talking another 10-40 million easily, more once console gaming gets more accepted in those countries.

The Wii range is way too wide.

Around the Network
thekitchensink said:

Wii has ALREADY outsold both 2nd- and 3rd-place consoles last gen. At the rate the Wii is going, it will (AT THE VERY LEAST) match the PS2, as it's sold more than the PS2 for this point in its' life despite the outrageous shortages.

I am not sure if that's true. The PS2 hit the core gamer (30-50 million people), and then dropped its price and captured the casual gamer.

The Wii skipped the core gamer and went after the casual gamer. It was a brilliant move that will make them more money then the PS2 has made Sony, but I am not sure if it will sell more without those core gamers.

I think it will slow in sales faster then the PS2 did.

Wii will sell more than the PS2, it has already expanded the market in a way no one could before.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

^didnt ps1 do it in europe?

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

Wow.

First of all, has any generation sold less than the previous?

The 360 will clearly outsell the original Xbox - no denying this
The PS3 will outsell the Gamecube, presumably 2-3 times the sales
The Wii is charting much higher than the PS2 in the same time frame and should have no difficulties in outselling it

Around the Network
brute said:
^didnt ps1 do it in europe?

Yea, but take a look at the whole WW sales. Wii has successfully attracted non-gamers and a lot of casuals. I have a feeling many of the casuals that owned a PS2 will end up buying a Wii. Nintendo still has it's loyal followers, and if this E3 is any good for Nintendo a lot of hardcore game announcements will take place for the Wii.

This is just the begining. Take uinto account Wii is still supply constrained in its biggest market.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

Scottie, no generation has sold less than the previous (that had to be 2 selling less than 1)

Well, if you count handhelds, there's a change GB was a lot bigger than GBC, making 3rd and 4th gen fairly simmilar, but I doubt it very much.

Roughly sales each gen (without handhelds):

3rd gen: 73M

4th gen: 89M

5th gen: 148M

6th gen: 183M

7th gen: 57M Handhelds each gen:

3+4th gen (GB): roughly 60M (http://vgchartz.com/worldcons.php?date=35309&sort=0)

4th + 5th gen (GBC): roughly 70M

6th gen (GBA): roughly 80M7th gen: 65M,

Edit: what has happened on the site? Things un-para all the time.

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/userreviewdisp.php?id=261

That is VGChartz LONGEST review. And it's NOT Cute Kitten DS

As the games industry is growing there should be more consoles sold this generation.

However this can easily be affected by economic factors - and while the current hit to many Western economies doesn't seem to have affected the continued growth of the videogame industry it still could.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

Most definitely.

My predictions (and I've had these for a while):

360 - 35-45 million LTD
ps3 - 65-80 million LTD
Wii - 120-180 million LTD

More, easily. I don't know how long we'll have to wait, because the PS2 is still selling, but it will happen for sure, barring an economical disaster.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957